Politics through the form of Music Videos

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    What are your views of politics in music videos?

Does anyone else feel that through the use of music videos, politics can be subliminally distributed in a successful manner?

For example, here are my feelings on a certain music video:
    The Alice in Chain's video "Rooster" recaptured the feeling of the Vietnam war -- something the guitarist, Jerry Cantrell's father was in (and what the song is about). It showed a man on the battlefield, losing his best friend. It shows a man clutching what is left of his leg after an explosion; his terror flooding his eyes. The video also shows how men are reacting to the war... especially when they capture an enemy. The video drove hard into me. It just reminds me yet again of my stances about war.

Your thoughts? Comments?
  2. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Was it really subliminal however?

The intended message of Rooster seemed pretty evident to me.

I think the real question is, is it possible to convey this same message without being so overt in it's imagery?
  3. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Good point -- I stuck the line about subliminal political messages in after I'd written my feelings about the video for Rooster. More less, I was hoping for the two issues to be addressed a little separately, though since they're related to each other, I felt they ought to be in the same thread.

Was it really subliminal however?
    I don't think the message of "Rooster" itself was subliminal. There are very few videos that I've even seen with some political message that was inserted subliminally, and each one can be interpreted in a different way.

I think the real question is, is it possible to convey this same message without being so overt in it's imagery?
    Now, that's an excellent question. I honestly don't know -- I think it would depend on how the video was filmed and how much the video were toned down, if you get my meaning. Some videos wouldn't have the same general effect on watchers if it weren't for the "in your face" aspect of the video.
  4. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I think the problem with trying to create something like Rooster and not have it so in-your-face is that people sometimes may not pay attention to the lyrics at all, and if you try to get into a heavy use of metaphor and symbolism people will completely miss the point of the song.

If it's too abstract the audience will likely be confused, or even worse they'll misinterpret the imagery.

If it's too specific, it might be seen as propagandistic.

What do you choose?

I like the Rooster video, even though the locations they shot the video at don't look a bit like Vietnam. Looks more like the midwestern USA or something ;)
  5. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the problem with trying to create something like Rooster and not have it so in-your-face is that people sometimes may not pay attention to the lyrics at all, and if you try to get into a heavy use of metaphor and symbolism people will completely miss the point of the song.
    I agree with you on that -- I remember the first time I saw Metallica's "One" video. The clips and sound bytes took me away from the song entirely. I didn't pay attention to a single moment of the music, because I was pondering the video and what it meant.

Personally, I'd rather have a video that is abstract - most likely, the general point would be recieved by a good amount of people (though, this bet isn't always a safe one to run). Better than being accused of propaganda ;)

And yeah -- I love the Rooster video -- though on my first two viewings, it pulled me away from the song a little, even though the video accompanies the song very well. And yeah, the location that it was filmed sucked, even though I think the actors were noticed moreso so nobody really mentioned much about the scenery. :)
  6. Glockenspiel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Christinia Aguleria's c****h is pretty political.

Whatever that means...?
  7. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    :confused:
    I'm confused -- how does that have to do with the topic at hand? Could you explain? Thanks. :)
  8. Waning Drill Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel and "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam come to mind.
  9. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Care to explain why they come to mind? :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.