main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Poll]Begun the Fan Wars Have

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 24, 2013.

?

Whats your take on the future of the Star Wars / Star Trek fan base rivalry?

1. Friendly Rivalry

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Heated Rivalry

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Status Quo

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Flame War

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Couple stabbings here and there.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Funny Article on the topic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ms-director-of-star-trek-to-direct-star-wars/

kainee likes this.
  3. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Who cares?

4. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I kinda like the 'Treks'. I always thought they were a bit cheesy. Especially the Next Generation. I never could take that too seriously. I like what JJ did with the movie, besides the whole alternate universe thing, but in whole it was a good movie. And I will go see the second one..

But, Star Wars is on a whole other plane.

-C

5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I never really understood the rivalry because both franchises have different goals.

Star Trek started off as a weird blend of western (remember: Roddenberry started it as being "Wagon Train to the Stars") and silver age sci-fi. While there were some decent soft sci-fi episodes, a lot fell into the classic "Hero stops bad guy formula."

The movies were very bipolar, ranging from hard sci-fi (The Motion Picture) to soft sci-fi (The Wrath of Kahn) to comedy (The Voyage Home) to mindless action (all the TNG films).

Star Wars, on the other hand, has always been straight fantasy with a sci-fi and samurai film paint job. Wizards, knights, rogues, royalty... In everything but visuals it's closer to classic Tolkein-style fantasy than sci-fi. And that's okay. Sometimes you just want to kick butt with a glowing laser sword and fly off in a bitchin' space ship.

For me, as a fan of both series, I'm happy more content is being made across the board. More options is always good, and there's room enough for both.

kainee, Episode Swag and Lord Tuvitor like this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Time to choose sides once and for all. I'll go with Downton Abbey.

kainee, Vespasian and KevinM1 like this.
  7. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    I like the Beatles/Rolling Stones comparison. You can also say it's like the Yankees and Red Sox.

And sure, some don't care about any kind of rivalry, and some like both. I think it's a fun thing.

I'm obviously a Star Wars fan and not much of a Star Trek fan at all. Star Wars satisfies my space fantasy or space opera jones so I don't need Star Trek for that. And when I want "real" science fiction, or speculative or hard science fiction, then I go to where that is...

One thing on Star Trek fans and this news: I too went over to a Star Trek forum and saw that quite a few of the early posts were basically saying that it was no big loss, because they felt he didn't really "get" Star Trek and was better suited for Star Wars anyway.

I don't know about the not "getting" Star Trek sentiments, I thought he understood Star Trek and he was just making an action-packed Star Trek movie instead of a quiet, pseudo-intellectual two-part Star Trek television episode.

I do agree with him being better suited for Star Wars, though.

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Any rivalry is ridiculous IMO. I like Star Trek and appreciate it for what it is. Besides, Star Wars and Star Trek don't have many similarities anyway, say like one is a rip off the other, which if that was the case I would get it, but the way things are, any rivalry is pointless.

kainee and LunarMoth like this.
  9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I would think the rivalry would be similar to the civil rivalry between Star Wars fans when debating the EU, which at this point is "my math is better than yours".

kainee likes this.
  10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yes.

Star Trek is more like an "Adventures of....." when it comes to the Enterpise gang, as Star Wars is basically one story.

spicer likes this.
  11. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think any rivalry we see will be totally friendly. ST and SW are both so different, as some one has already mentioned, that as long as J.J. keeps SW SW we'll all be happy.

12. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I think that there have been pretty intense rivalries within the Star Wars fandom in the past. I'm not even worried about Trekkies yet; to be honest.

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Who cares?

14. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm anticipating an all-out flame war. However, I don't associate myself with any Trekkies, therefore, I don't foresee this being a problem in my day-to-day life. Unless they come on here or my personal facebook account.

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I use to know a big doofus Star Trek fan and the first thing I saw him post about this online was a stupid comparison comment about STAR WARS fans getting their "sloppy seconds".
    The comparisons that people make are the only things about Star Trek that annoy me, not Star Trek itself. I have little experience with its shows (some TNG and DS:9 back in the early '90s, and a few original episodes only because they've been on Netflix recently) and I like the original films more than the TNG-based films, which felt lackluster. Still, I never went to them expecting Star Wars lookalikes because they are just that dissimilar (and probably because there didn't appear to be any play value, since SW had more toys and stuff.) I also hate when people mix up the two titles. It's like confusing Starburst with Star Crunch.

16. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I hope it won't be a problem, these fan wars are stupid. Star Wars is Star Wars, Trek is Trek.

SW has John Williams music though, let's never forget that!

Besides, who are we calling 'Star Trek fans' anymore? I mean there are:
    - a lot of ST fans who hate Abrams-Trek
    - a great number who love both
    - and there are those, who are like my best friend: she loved Abrams-Trek, but she doesn't care for the older ST stuff.

I think people who liked Star Trek 2009 are generally happy about Abrams directing Episode VII. Star Wars is supposed to be his territory, anyway.

kainee likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i would actually like to see a star wars movie go against a star trek movie in the same year. that would definitely get fans in an uproar.

kainee likes this.
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    personally im the one who likes both of them equally and i really did enjoy Abrams ST movie and can't wait to see Star Trek into Darkness and his take on Episode VII