main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Do you want the ST more like the OT, the PT or a mix of both?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 26, 2013.

?

The ST's stye, dialogue, characterization, general tone should be?

1. 1.) more like the OT

37.1%
  2. 2.) more like the PT

6.7%
  3. 3.) a mix of both

38.1%
  4. 4.) something completely new

18.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Due to the always returning arguments if the ST should rather match the tone of the OT or the PT, I ask you:

2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Can you be a little more specific in what you mean by tone?

Also, I'd love a new option as I think, once clarification is gained, my answer will be a mix of both : say 60/40 OT/PT along with something completely new : say 40/30/30 OT/PT/NEW

hmmmm [face_thinking]

3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Also, FWIW, I would imagine the results from this site would vary massively from a poll conducted across general film and entertainment sites. Still, will be interesting to see the outcome.

4. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    A mix of OT and something new

Samayel_ likes this.
  5. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    Of course, but since we as a community argue rather often about it, I thought it would be nice to get a general consensus here, because, honestly, the ones that argue here are nearly always the same ones (me included) and there are numerous people on here that I have no idea what they prefer.

By tone I mean::
    OT: classic unlikely hero's journey, good vs. evil, rollercoaster between optimism/pessimism, personal, relateable stories on a broader galactic scale, witty humor
    PT: Downfall of a Messiah, political schemes/machinations, things going downhill quickly/impending doom, great war with a bigger, but underdeveloped cast, childish humor

Pro Scoundrel and FinleySlade like this.
  6. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Cheers. I've highlighted green what I'd like, and red what I wouldn't, in your post, but I'd also like it to be mixed with something new but I have no idea what that would be.

I'm still undecided on what what option in the poll that would fit my point of view though. Sorry

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    You want a mix of both as you can't go past the feel of the OT & the character's but you also can't go past the amazing Lightsaber duels & space battles of the PT......

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    A mix since the ST is an extension of all the SW movies.

Immortiss and Beautiful_Disaster like this.
  9. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    To adress those points:
    Anakin is meant to be the Chosen One who destroys the Evil and restores the balance, messiah means savior and if you only take this meaning and not the biblical one, it is basically the story of the downfall of a (not the) messiah.

By underdeveloped cast I mean that the protagonists, due to the bigger ensemble, don't have the screentime and personal moments that they have in the OT, the awkward dialogue does not help either.

I think childish humor is a no-brainer (poo and fart jokes, battle droid banter, 3PO arena nonsense, JJ)

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I voted for a mix of both... I want it to have the macro scope and scale of the PT, it's aesthetic and some of the socio/political subtext it did well... but with the less formal and less stilted characterisation/dialogue of the OT... it also needs to recapture some of the 'fun' that ANH encapsulated so well. However, it also needs to be its own thing. Star Wars has been, and always should be, a vehicle for telling stories in new ways with new techniques and technologies. It should never be passe. JJ and KK should have the confidence to give us something new without trying to ape, too much, what went before. If they simply try to recreate the OT, they will fall short.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. I think the main ensemble of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme and Yoda seem to have the same amount of screen time as Luke, Leia and Han and old Obi-Wan. However, it would be true to say that the characters in the OT, by and large, are more accessible/likeable. And assuming that the 'big 3' do come back... we are almost guaranteed some accessible characters... but I don't think it's a question of the PT characters being underdeveloped, because they all had rather big personal journeys between Episodes I-IV.

11. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    TtheForceHurts

Thanks again, I get what the red highlighted points meant, I highlighted them red to signify I don't want them in the ST. Green for go, red for stop ;)

I think I'm gonna have to vote for the mix, but I want new also.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Could you be more specific about where the boundaries of "more like the ______" and a mix of both are. Does the more like option still mean I want elements of both trilogies but prefer the elements of a particular trilogy or does it mean mostly like the stated trilogy? And does the mix option mean equal or can it favor one or the other?

Couldn't you have made this more of a gradual grading poll? Like one stating almost entirely like ______ trilogy and another being mostly like _______ but with a few more like the other, then a more balanced option? Sorry I just feel that the wording of this poll makes people interrupt the meaning of the options possibly differently.

Personally Id much rather it be more like the OT but many of the elements and concepts in the PT where great, just with Lucas's poor writing and directing limiting its potential. So I'm not sure if to vote for OT or mix.... and I'm always open to something new too, not much help I know, lol

13. Jedi Historian

Jedi Historian Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I feel it very likely we will in fact get a "mix of both." For those of you who have yet to watch the STID featurettes, they provide a pretty compelling look into JJ's craft. He is very old-school in many ways--I would have bet money that the tails on Kirk's alien bedmates were CG, but they were actually animatronic. He also much prefers make-ups to CG aliens--that too should please OT purists. But JJ also uses CG quite effectively--especially for landscapes and vistas, many of which were pretty impressive in both Star Treks IMO. A mix it will be.

14. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think anyone should think that if the OT were to be filmed today it wouldn't use it's fair share of CG. I just hope we get a bit more balance between practical and CG. I think they should use a blend of every technique available to them (a perfect example of this being Jurassic Park imo). Also, to be fair to the PT, the tech has also evolved now to the point where the digital FX should be a little more seamless. GL was pushing the limits with the PT, which is partly why I feel the CG hasn't aged so well.

Darth PJ likes this.
  15. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I just want it to be Star Wars. Both the OT and PT are Star Wars, so why try to separate them to praise one and bash another?

16. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    70% NEW
    20% OT
    10% PT (including TCW)

I love the PT, but this new trilogy follows the OT and starts a new era for SW

17. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Definitely a mix. After so many years, even the GFFA would regain some of its former glory in terms of gorgeous locations, premium quality of ships, goods, fashion, etc. So I'd most definitely like to see pretty sets and junkyards too. As for the story, jedi, bounty hunters, starfighter pilots, scoundrels, humour, love, romance, friendship, drama... A complete mix of everything so far.

Darth PJ likes this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Completely new. I'd rather have all new characters than follow up on the big three and their children. And since we already have six films of pulp space adventure where the kinetic spectacle carries the day more so than deep characterization, I think a healthy dose of experimentation could do wonders for keeping things fresh. One of the reasons I was so excited for the direction of the series pre-Disney announcement was the information we got about Underworld being a very different breed of Star Wars.

Of course, that's that I want, not what I expect. I'd bet on something that feels mostly like a nostalgia trip, or a mildly fun but ultimately forgettable film resembling Abrams' Star Trek efforts.

Darth PJ likes this.
  19. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Even though I love the OT more then the PT (I still enjoy all 6 films, or eventually 9 films), I like that the trilogies are different, and hope that the ST differentiates itself from the other two trilogies.

Lets just say for the sake of argument that all 9 movies looked the same, had the same tone, had the same type of characters, etc, I think it would get boring watching the Saga. Even though I feel some of the movie are better then others, I like that variety when I pick and choose each episode. Sometimes I'm in the mood just for a hard hitting darker movie, so I will watch ESB. Sometimes I want a lighter tone, so I will watch TPM. Sometimes I'm in the mood for some closure, so I will watch ROTJ or ROTS, etc.

The ONLY thing I want to keep consistent is that I care about the characters, and that is where I feel the PT fell short. So in a sense, I will watch the PT more for the story, and watch the OT more for the characters, and hopefully the ST characters will work for me and I can watch that trilogy for them too.

Mystery_Roach and Darth PJ like this.
  20. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I voted for a mix of the PT and the OT.
    I want extensive, big trilogy based complex story with real life characters of the PT and that unique production setting, clever character remarks and that great sense of adventure from the OT.

Darth PJ likes this.
  21. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    So far it seems that the majority would prefer a good mix of both with a slightly larger influence of the OT (easy done when the Big 3 are involved) that still retains it's own identity as a new trilogy. I like that.

And contrary to what some feared this hasn't turned into a dispute, but a quite polite collection of opinions.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    As we've talked about in the more contentious realism thread, The Clone Wars offers a very nice vision of what a PT/OT mix might look like. And most people love it.

Darth PJ likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    33.333334% OT
    33.333334% PT
    33.333334% New

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Haven't we already have this thread?

Darth Raiden, Dra--- and KevinM1 like this.
  25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Totally agree.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.