main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Do you want the ST more like the OT, the PT or a mix of both?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 26, 2013.

?

The ST's stye, dialogue, characterization, general tone should be?

1. 1.) more like the OT

37.1%
  2. 2.) more like the PT

6.7%
  3. 3.) a mix of both

38.1%
  4. 4.) something completely new

18.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Something New > A Mix of Both > More like the PT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> More like the OT

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    OT 20%
    PT 10%
    New 70%

3. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I just want it not to suck.

Diggs likes this.
  4. PTRULES

PTRULES Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2013
    More like the PT. Please no more boring OT stuff, more CGI, more dazzling action scenes, more Jar Jar, I could go on and on....

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Only six votes for the PT only? I thought there were more hardcore PT fans than this.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Diggs like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Speaking for myself, I wouldn't be a hardcore PT fan if I hadn't loved the OT first. I'm a Saga fan first and foremost, which unfortunately puts me in the position of having to defend the PT more often than not. I suspect a lot of us feel that way.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Interesting to think of fans as Saga fans. I think of myself that way too, but I don't feel like I have to defend any weak elements, whether they be in the PT or the OT. A fail is a fail no matter how much I love a franchise. (I think I voted for mix of both, by the way.)

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    In my humble opinion, I think those who like and appreciate the prequels tend to be more pragmatic... and as a pragmatist one is going to consider both sides - and in this instance the pragmatic and logical choice would be for the ST to be a mix of both the OT and PT and not one over the other.

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Hmm, what a loaded question. Ultimately, I'd probably prefer a mixture of both movies to be quite honest, but I can't help but relish the excitement of the OT spirit in all its glory being rekindled, and that desire to see a "new OT", so to speak, far outweighs that of the passionate Star Wars fanatic in me that looks forward to both trilogies receiving their due diligence in the form of any sort of mention/nod whatsoever in the ST.

Truthfully, while I sincerely cannot say enough good things about the PT...to me...it'll never be THE origin story 'cause that accolade goes directly to its predecessors A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (in the sense that I watched them first). Therefore, when I watch the PT I am always comparing and contrasting the little things such as design, structures, characters, stories, etc. to those of the OT. So, I guess I would prefer that the ST resemble its' OT counterpart as much as possible, probably more so than the PT.

PT had its moments, but all-in-all the OT connected fantasy with reality for me...so much so that I'm still awaiting news of an astronomers' discovery of Tatooine. :p

The Hellhammer, Darth PJ and Dra--- like this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Since it chronologically follows the OT, I think it should use the opposite of PT's approach. PT started out with it's own unique style, slowly moving the look and feel toward the OT style. ST should start out mostly resembling OT, with a few elements of PT reemerging and being built upon. Then, as the movies progress, slowly create it's own visual identity which would of course still retain the general Star Wars feel.

12. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I respectfully disagree. I am a Saga fan, but I love the OT more, and find ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS flawed films. I still enjoy them because they make up a larger story (eventually 9 movies will make it even larger), but I am not going to defend ROTJ/PT just because fans take shots at it. I notice that many of my fellow Saga fans defend the PT movies all the time simply because they are sick of people bashing them, so they don't want to pile on by agreeing with them any.

Its sort of like the republicans and democrats in politics these days. Nobody wants to give an inch because they are afraid the other side will seize on their faults and use that against.them. So what happens is the republicans take one side of the issue and the democrats take another side of the issue and the result is what is happening in Washington DC these days of utter gridlock.

Diggs and Dra--- like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    69% OT
    89.58% Holiday Special
    76.432% PT

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My "defense" of various Star Wars films is more accurately described as a statement of stylistic and thematic preference. I "defend" certain films not because others dislike them, but because I like them.

And more on topic, I voted something completely new because Downton Abbey is better than Star Wars.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think it's that at all... I think it's about how one appreciates film and production techniques combined with how one simply interprets the sound and images on screen... in a positive, negative or passive way. You can appreciate a piece of art without having to enjoy/like it. You can really enjoy/like something, but recognise that it lacks technical sophistication etc. It's not about 'taking sides' nor is it about having to justify the worth of something you believe has artistic and technical merit. For example, I often find myself having to justify Star Wars, in its entirety, to many of my friends/colleagues who don't recognise it at all within the context of 'cinema as an artistic medium'. They don't distinguish between PT and OT - they see it as one and the same. Are they right for thinking Star Wars is of lower cinematic value? Am I right for presenting the merits of Lucas's film? It's all about context...

16. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I agree with you when it comes to non-SW fans, as many of my friends just don't get it and I have never had a problem with that because to each their own. I am just talking about within the SW fanbase and how we talk/argue/discuss the films.

My point is that is that because I love ANH/ESB SO much, I let slide the flaw of the other 4 films because I love looking at the SW universe through the bigger story. ANH and ESB are my #1 and #2 favorite films of all-time (I have probably watched hundreds of times in my life), and that is I why will watch the sequels/prequels. But then a movie like Jurassic Park, in which I love but it is not one of my favorite movies of alltime, I wont even bother with the sequels because they are average and don't care about the bigger story.

In a sense, Lucas has won me over with everything in the SW universe simply because of my love for the first 2 films (ANH & ESB). I can forgive that ROTJ/PT are average films just for those moments that tie the movies altogether and continue the mythology. Another example is I am not a big EU person, but I read the Thrawn Trilogy simply there are parts of those books that really expand the OT story, especially when Leia gives birth to the twins in the 3rd book, or how Luke is depressed at the beginning of the 1st book because he feels lost without Obiwan. Stuff like that really engages me that no other movie franchise does, but I wont blindly defend ROTJ/PT to the PT bashers just because I see them as the saga and they don't.

Diggs likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I defend the PT because I am a martyr!

*suicide bombs forums*

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think that explains why people like the prequels (especially those who like it and who aren't as familiar with the OT). I agree that even if I deem Ep VII to be a disaster, I'll probably re-watch it and probably just be as excited for Ep VIII - primarily because I love the Star Wars universe... but I wouldn't pretend to like it or defend/justify it if I believed there was nothing to defend/justify. What you're saying is that your preferences are very personal to you... your preferences are unique and borne out of very different interpretations/readings of the films... and that's the way it should be because that's how 'art' should work. ;)

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Carbon1985 like this.
  19. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I want the "lived-in" universe feel of the OT
    Miniatures/Sets, etc. like the OT, not just green/blue screen shots everywhere
    Witty characters like in the OT

I want the lightsaber duels of the PT
    I want to see a film as dark as ROTS/ESB (this is where OT/PT mix)

And I think it'd be great if we took the themes of both the OT & the PT, and combined them in the ST.

Hero's journey (can be the female lead)
    Fallen messiah (could be Jacen Solo?)

Leia as a Senator or Chancellor (similar to Padme)
    Luke as the Wise Sage (Ben in the OT)
    Han Solo as an Admiral or something of that nature

Take all of the pre-existing themes and have them play out in this trilogy. It will make for a helluva package, and such an emotional roller coaster.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I want something original that doesn't feel borrowed.

21. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    I've been torn on this topic ever since the ST was announced. I've come to the decision that I'd like to see a preference towards the "magic" and "feel" of the OT while bringing back what was positive about the PT. For example, in Episode VII (depending on the period in which it takes place), I do not want to see the Jedi in their prime. I want to see a strong, yet still gaining confidence, group of Jedi. I don't want the fast-paced choreography of the prequels. We can have that in VIII and IX if the story sets it up, but for now, slow is what we need.

Diggs and Dra--- like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sorry I had to stop reading there. ;)

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A mix of both

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Something to please everyone even though that's impossible.

Dra--- and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    something new and a mix of the Expanded universe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.