main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Poll: Have your EU consumptive habits changed since the Disney announcement?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 29, 2014.

?

Have your EU consumptive habits changed since the Disney announcement?

1. No change - I still buy/read everything like I used to do

47.8%
  2. Decreased buying/reading compared to my old habits

22.1%
  3. Ragequit - I don't buy/read anything anymore

3.5%
  4. In carbonite - I'm temporarily holding off buying/reading anything until I know more

9.7%
  5. Buying everything Legends now and not planning to read anything from the new EU

15.0%
  6. Never read the Legends EU -- I'm only here for the new stuff

1.8%
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This thread is based on your current relationship with the EU. Are your reading habits changing? Are you still reading books/comics/rpgs/etc at the same rate as before?

When the Disney announcement first happened I assumed I would continue buying/reading the EU has usual. But in that time I think I've read Kenobi and... maybe that was it? I've been meaning to buy the rest of the novels/comics that I don't already have, but I haven't done it yet and I'm coming to realize it might never happen. I guess I'm just... waiting? Waiting to see how drastically they change things with the new EU?

How are you all taking this EU-switch thing? I realize Lucasfilm has produced less books these last two years relative to their average output, but I'm putting a "decreased" option in the poll regardless for those of you who haven't stopped reading or buying everything entirely - maybe you still read a sourcebook or magazine once in a while.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I (re)read more stuff now.

Thuro likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I voted no change, but I wasn't buying everything to begin with--not for several years now. The TCW tie-in novels were the straw that broke the eopie's back; not even that I didn't think they'd be good, it was just too much to keep up with. Even discounting those I've got five or six novels I'd still like to read eventually, but catching up is tough when there's new stuff every other month.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Basically what Coop said. I wasn't reading/buying everything before the announcement except books that've been on a to-read list anyway. And there's hasn't been a lot of media since then to change that.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I stopped reading the one thing I was following, (new Legacy) I don't know, I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on such a quick wrap up, even though it was good.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I quit reading years ago. It's very likely I'll not buy anything from Disney Wars with the possible exception of Tarkin to read and throw away. So, not really.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Throw away? At least donate it to a library or something.

8. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    I'll take it when you're done, free of charge. Just pay shipping.

Edit: Regarding the question, mostly unchanged. Although I own almost every book I have any interest in, so I'm just waiting for the new stuff.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Carbonite, I'm waiting to see how Ep 7 and Rebels play out before I make a decision.

Thuro likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a site online that has the books so no worries there if I never get all of those.
    I'm trying to get the comics but its been slow going. Anyone want to send me TPB's or Omnibuses they don't want? JK
    I'll be getting the new books that are coming out.
    Aside from Denning and TCW era stuff I am not opposed to anything SW.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    My unread pile had already been growing steadily larger for the last couple of years. It's started to get smaller at long last (currently reading Into the Void), but that's also been due to the decrease in things being released...

I've still followed (and read) the comics, both out of loyalty to DH, and the fact Legacy Vol. 2 is good, but with the exception of Star Wood, which I stopped reading long, long ago.

However, I haven't rushed to preorder the new books like I normally do. In the past, I cared, I wanted to be up to date, I felt bad when other stuff made me fall behind, but... now? No longer bothered. With the end of a single timeline to follow, there's not that same sense of urgency? I know, someone is going to reply and say "But Story Group!" But they'd be completely missing the poing here: I have piles of Legends books I have still not read, meaning I have two continuities to follow...

And I'd rather finally finish Lost Tribe, read Scoundrels, and the many other books I've always wanted to (I have never read the X-Wing books). Those are what I remain interested in reading first-- and now there are no more stories to be told in that timeline, I have all the time in the world. No worry of another novel coming out first! So... yeah, my reading has slowed, and I have been reading far more non-Star Wars books than I have since I did my literature degree, and... I enjoy it. It's nice not feeliing like I have to slavishly follow Star Wars to "keep up to date". Reading has become fun again? For instance, I'd been wanting to read more comics than just Star Wars for years, as the endless onslaught of Star Wars comics always kept me busy enough, but I have finally branched out, and got to read other things.

So the Disney novels... they will have to either leap at me, or else wait their turn-- and with the amount I have left to read, I suspect it will be a long wait.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't collected a Hardback novel in years. 08ish I think. Probably won't change. Paperback for me.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'll have to wait and see but it's likely I'll toss it just like I did Death Star. If I truly dislike a book I don't like to subject it to others.

14. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    no change for me they were written so i can take them as i desire

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Pretty much this.

Although I will say I had to pass on Dark Times V2 and KOTOR V3 Omnibuses last week because I'm strapped for cash and preparing for college. That has nothing to do with the Disney announcement though, not at all, because I still plan to buy them when I have the extra cash. [face_shhh]

Zorrixor and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Definite decrease as the DHC comics are ending, which hit me harder than expected.

That said, I may grab the new books initial set after all - if I can get 'em on the cheap.

Plot details for ep 7 will prove decisive as to the long-term.

Abadacus, Zorrixor and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Same for me bud. Want to get KOTOR V3 Omnibus but have to wait for my birthday in October.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I can't be bothered with it no more, unfortunately. If Tarkin turns out to be the new Darth Plagueis (no pressure, Jim :p ), I guess my interest will be resurrected.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No change. I read Honor Among Thieves and I'm reading the X-Wing series, after that I'm probably done with Legends, but that was the plan anyway. There was some of it I never intended to read.

New stuff: same as the old, I'll read what interests me.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Strange idea. Unless the book is something virulent like a hate-speech tract, I can't see any reason to destroy it rather than donate it.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  21. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    If I was given an ultimatum that there can only be one evil act and I can choose it, destroying books would be a definite finalist among my choices.

Plus, the second-hand book market is one of the best things about humanity. And if you can't sell it, donate it.

jSarek, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Plus Death Star was a pretty good novel in any case - even if it had its odd moments - characters like Tarkin were consistent with previous portrayals, especially EU ones.

Given Luceno wrote Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, in which Tarkin plays a fairly big role, as the guy who wants to take advantage of the crackdown on the wookiees to enslave some as Death Star workers - I can't see him contradicting his own previous work and turning Tarkin into a kindly and wise person.

23. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    No change for me I'm still reading the old stuff. Nearly read all the bantam books now. I haven't really been up to date with the latest EU for a while now. The most recently released book I read was The Last Jedi and that was mainly because I'd recently just read the Coruscant Nights trilogy beforehand. I've only just finished the NJO so I haven't read anything after that. I've read a few recent books like Darth Plagueis and Revan but haven't kept up with every book. That's one of the actual good things about the new Canon the books will be easier to keep up with because they won't require you to have read a bunch of books prior to them first.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Keep it that way.
    [​IMG]

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Only changed in that there's been less material to consume. I'm still reading the novels, trying to keep up with the comics, and Insider stories. I've always been primarily into the stories when it comes to the EU and occasional ref material (vs., say, RPG sourcebooks) and that hasn't really changed.