main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion [Poll] If Barriss Offee is the female inquisitor from S2, what should be her fate?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Apr 21, 2015.

?

If the female inquisitor is Barriss Offee, her fate should be...

1. Killed by Ahsoka Tano

53 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. Killed by Vader / Sidious for failure

14 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Killed by someone else

13 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Dies in some other way, accident, suicide etc.

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Doesn't die in the show at all

20 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Barriss definitely has a lot of potential for future stories. A comic about her getting desillusionised with the Jedi Order would be cool (someone from Marvel has to read Kablobs' analysis). And if Barriss is the female Inquisitor, then we get maybe a novel of how she became part of the New Order.

Also, I really like the nicknames for Barriss in this thread.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Hopefully they include at least some hint of a flashback sequence to show exactly what went on when Barriss would've turned to the Dark Side. It's one thing to be so angry at the Jedi Order that you can turn your back on it; like Ahsoka did. It's another thing entirely to turn to the Dark Side against them. Between Maul, Dooku, Ventress, and of course Anakin, they all had their own personal agendas, didn't they?

jakobitis89 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

thats not what I meant

I meant that Tarkin was throwing the death penalty at her.

4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, I do hope it's not just left as 'You remember Barriss? Yeah, she's evil now. Just because.', there's got to be a little more to it than that to sell it properly - after all, she's not just against the Jedi, like Ahsoka, she's gone fully to the dark side if she is in fact the Inquisitorette.

5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It's an interesting idea.

Palpatine's overarching grand conspiracy, from the beginning of TPM forward, was to subvert the republic, turn it into a Sith empire with himself at the head of it, and destroy the Jedi.

But within that, there were smaller sub-conspiracies and plots-within-plots, some of which were not originally part of the plan but which he initiated opportunistically as they arose. One of those was Anakin. Originally he wasn't part of the plan and Palps had no idea. His apprentice was Darth Maul. But then he died, or so it was thought at the time. And Palpatine moved on. But even in the time that Maul was apparently killed, a new, much more interesting prospect had come to his attention - a prodigy of the Force, this kid Anakin who had more midi chlorians than anyone else, and who the Jedi started calling the "chosen one" etc. Palps knew he had to get this guy. So he set things in motion, working on him, poking here, prodding there. "We will watch your career with great interest." The kid was already damaged from his background, full of fear, attachment issues, and older than the Jedi orthodoxy would have liked for an initiate. This should be easy...

...and then Yoda went and screwed it all up, giving him this kid to train as his own apprentice. And she was a fiesty little thing, really like him, and they got on like two peas in a pod together. And as she learned from him, even so he too began to learn a bit of responsibility from training her. He was stabilizing, and Palpatine couldn't have that.

Into that setting, enter Barriss Offee. Who's to say Sheev didn't pick up on Barriss' dissilusionment? He may well have done. And then, he may have steered her. Probably not directly - it's likely he never met her personally, either openly as Palpatine, or cloaked, as Sidious. But it seems like he may have used his influence and connections to make sure certain individuals were sent her way, people who told her stuff that, in her frame of mind, she was receptive to. And eventually, he led her almost imperceptably and unwittingly into the Dark Side, from a distance, by proxy. And he knew of course, how close she'd been with Ahsoka. The bond she'd formed with her during the horrific circumstances of the Geonosis tank would-be-kamikaze-attack, swiftly followed up by the brain worm incident... they were thrown through the wringer together and emerged with the kind of bond that only those who have been through experiences like that could have. Which made her the perfect missile to aim at Ahsoka, once he'd gained control over her by proxy. With her, Palpatine would demolish Ahsoka, take away the stabilizing influence on Anakin, fill him with rage, anger and despair, and drive him deeper than ever into the yawning jaws of the Dark Side, where, feeling like a pariah among the Jedi he would find the gentle, fatherly yet dark advice of Palpatine all the more seductive.

And of course, the loose end from this would be Barriss Offee. And because she could still be useful in some capacity, well, she wouldn't be just thrown away. Thus leading into her subsequent role as an Imperial Inquisitor...

6. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Palps. also probably kept Barriss as plan B if Dooku killed Anakin. Either way Dooku was no longer strong enough to remain a sith apprentice and yet too powerful of a political rival and threat for Palpy in other areas.

Regardless I like to think of Anakin as one of many options in a long line of force users Palpatine could corrupt. I like to imagine Palpatine is good at improvising should whatever current plan he has at the moment fall through

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] I hear that quite a lot and I couldn't disagree more! Dooku is by no means weak because his hair is white, people. :p

8. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I didn't mean it that way, I mean it in the way Palpatine is picky and will replace anyone at a whim. Dooku is also a powerful political force to be reckoned with, he also knows too much about the "grand plan" and that is a threat to Palpatine.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yet, your statement implies you do because you're implying Dooku would *fall* at the hands of Sidious. I still disagree.

10. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm sorry Cushy... I'm in no way implying Dooku is weak.

11. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    While I agree that Palpatine was ultimately responsible for the bombing at the Jedi Temple, I don't think it was originally engineered to specifically eliminate Mandalore the Snippy from the equation. That kind of plan has too many moving parts where something can go awry. For example: If Yoda asks another Knight/Apprentice pair to investigate the bombing, Ahsoka never gets involved and the plot falls apart. I think the original plan was merely to bomb the Temple, create chaos and suspicion, put pressure on the Jedi and inflame an already war-weary public. Mission accomplished on that end.

The elimination of Mrs. Turmond is a logical step in what was likely the original plan, and it was likely never initially intended to bring Ahsoka into the web. It was merely designed to eliminate a potential witness. However, once Ahsoka ends up on the investigation, then the possibility of framing and eliminating her becomes a real possibility. It still relies on events playing out in very specific ways. If Ahsoka chooses not to go see Letta in prison, then the plan falls apart again. Letta can still be eliminated, but Ahsoka would never be implicated if she was somewhere else at the time. The real key point where Ahsoka is hooked, with little way of escaping a bad outcome, is when she meets with Letta in the jail cell. At that point, the plan can be amended to include the removal of Snips, as a bonus to the original accomplishments.

Ahsoka's later actions, and the resulting accusations, such as her escape, the murder of the clone troops and eventual discovery of the explosives cache, allow for improvisations of the original plan in my opinion. Palpatine was a long-term planner, and adapted to situations very well, but his plots were relatively straightforward when you boil them down. He didn't rely on luck or chance to make them work. Bariss' involvement was likely just because she was a Jedi, rather than specifically because of her connection to Ahsoka.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    ^ So you guys sort of agree with my Palpatine conspiring with Barriss theory? :p

EDIT: Speaking of which are you going to continue your theory series Kablob ?

KaminoPalomino and Iron_lord like this.
  13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Sorry if this ends up being a double post.

I will extend my theory further that I believe before TCW was cancelled the plan was to set Barriss up as Dooku's replacement for Ventress. But with Rebels taking place after ROTS and Dooku being gone; IF Barriss is the new inquisitor and IF my conspiracy theory is correct then it would be on behalf of a plan by Palpatine rather than the original plan that was intended to be for Dooku.

That being said, i believe the original reason why Palpatine looked so suspicious in the season 5 finale was because he figured Dooku was attempting to break '"the rule of two" again and Barriss would of been his "new Ventress"

Sorry if this is confusing im not good at explaining things.

14. Octavian Dibar

Jan 6, 2015
    sarlaccsaurs-rex

Well, I'm not sure exactly what your theory is. If it generally follows the idea that Palpatine was ultimately behind the bombing, then I'm in agreement with you. I follow principle of "follow the money" when it comes to crimes and conspiracies. While Barriss might have motive to plan the bombing on her own, she simply didn't have the financial resources to acquire a storeroom full of highly advanced and highly expensive explosives. She had to have a financial backer, and Palpatine makes the most sense. He's got the resources and the motive to give Barriss the "push" she needs to accomplish the task she might not otherwise be able to pull off on her own.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  15. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    On that last post, What I meant simply was that Barriss would have likely ended up being Dooku's new assassin if TCW was not cancelled.

But yes my main theory is that Palpatine was the one truly behind it.

16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Man, I just flashed back to "The Wire" when Lester was talking about following the money. I admit, that put a huge smile on my face thinking about it too. :D

"But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where **** it's gonna take you." -Det. Lester Freamon

Iron_lord and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The concept of "following the money" actually goes back to Watergate and was featured in "All the President's Men".

18. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I can definitely see Palpatine being well aware it was going to happen, and deciding to let it - it suits him greatly. I could even buy his arranging it through a trusted lackey/dupe in his Sidious guise. But I don't know that he personally organised the entire thing, that veers just a little too close to omniscience/omnipresence in a villain even for Palpatine, the master planner that he is.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That is one thing I intensely dislike about some's treatment of the character exactly, J89. Many act like everything bad in GFFA is at Sidious', Tarkin's, and Dooku's feet as for film events and it isn't. NONE of them are all-powerful. The way SW is conveyed all-powerful doesn't exist. I likewise feel it's a way to remove all responsibility from the supposed victims when the Jedi and Rebels are hardly faultless themselves.

In my eyes everyone is both victim and responsible.

20. Octavian Dibar

Jan 6, 2015
    So, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were responsible for what happened to them? If so, in what way were they responsible?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Palpatine does seem to get a lot of credit (or blame, depending on perspective) for actions he did not actually commit/cause. He's very manipulative and crafty and plans well ahead, but he knows how people are going to react and what their likely actions are - he doesn't physically make them do anything. He worked on Anakin and turned him to the Dark Side by playing on how the Council treated Anakin - he didn't directly force the Council to treat Anakin that way, for example. Anakin himself COULD have had a last minute change of heart and let Sidious die, and Padme die too - Sidious gambled otherwise, correctly.

The three you mention are all very bad people indeed and deserve the fates they got, but the PT is much greyer than perhaps some credit it with. Everyone made mistakes, Sidious just exploited them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Palpatine was maneuvering the Council and Palpatine knew of the ancient Sith shrine buried under the Jedi Temple that twisting and clouding the Jedi and their ability to use the Force for the past 1,000 years. Bane's plan took time but eventually was carried out by Sidiious, if we follow the EU much of the credit goes to Plagueis Palpatine later ordered Anakin on the Jedi Council knowing full well that to expect. So far the only one to actually give Sidious a run for his money was Darth Maul, he had seriously jeopardized & posed a very dangerous risk Sidious's own life and his grand plan - which is why SOD exists. Maul still really the only character that went toe to toe with him other than Yoda and came out alive twice. Maul by SOD knows Sidious is not all powerful, as he was priorly led to believe while he was still indoctrinated as the Sith Apprentice, this is something ingrained in Tyranus's mind(in the comic's storyline) and now Vader's. Am curious on what was the new order envisioned by maul that was arise out've the roots of Dathomir, appears he and Talzin were having their own plan for the future of the Galaxy that Sidious was afraid of and had to personally get involved.

I do wonder how Sidious was always able to sneak away from his life as Palpatine, maybe he used a Clone or some hologram droid double and various recordings and excuses. Rather hard to just vanish at random times for various stretches of time and for it to go unnoticed for long, especially as he's the head of state.

23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Could simply be that Barriss going all mad bomber was not a plot by Sheev....but he saw an opportunity to use Barriss after the fact.

File some paperwork that she was executed for her crimes and move her off somewhere out of site until he needs her.

24. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I can imagine Palpatine does that and then turns her into a false martyr in the public's eyes. Claiming that "she knew about the evil jedi's betrayal."

This leads me to think, are all the inquisitors former jedi that worked with Palpatine in exchange for leting them live? Also maybe Mustarfar isn't where jedi literally go to die, but rather a torture/brainwashing facility for creating the inquisitor ranks.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting idea, Rex. Breaking the spirit and reprogramming the mind. I could see Sids implementing something like that.