main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST a Sequel to the OT or the Saga (OT + PT)?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Jan 10, 2014.

?

Is the ST a Sequel to the OT or the Saga (OT + PT)?

1. It's a direct sequel to the OT. It should conclude thematic and plot elements from the OT only.

15.5%
  2. It's a sequel to the Saga. It should conclude thematic and plot elements from the PT & OT

83.1%
  3. Other: Be specific you

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because the force itself is portrayed as mysterious and a rare gift. These values have not been assigned by me, that's how they attempted to portray the force in all six movies. At one point even the lightsaber was mysterious.

Plot demands. Do you really want to give the protagonists a "solve all problems easily" card?

There are some force mysteries I am greatly interested in - the duality of the force for instance - but ghosts are not a part of that.

Odolwa likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm more interested in Sith ghosts actually. If there are such things. I hope so.

Providing exposition in an interesting way is a lot different than solving plot problems.

I don't think your Force argument really solves the contradiction that the Jedi want to become Force Ghosts to retain their identity, not to lose it and disappear. They don't view it merely as a transcendence to Jedi Heaven, but as a way to influence worldly events forever.

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Every time there is a force-related problem they can ask the ghosts for help. And you don't think that can be a problem?

I don't recall Yoda saying he wants to stick around forever. No, it's the opposite. He tells Luke that now he is responsible for the Jedi order and should pass on what he has learned.

I always thought Obi-Wan stuck around because of necessity, nothing else.

Odolwa likes this.
  4. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I meant as in Luke not finding out about midichorlians and what not... If Luke not busy researching about the old jedi order than what was he doing for the last 3 decades

Immortiss, Dra--- and Odolwa like this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yoda does talk about being a ghost in terms of immortality though. That indicates to me that he can stick around as long as he wants, or at least would have the ability to return from the Netherworld on a regular basis. I do wonder what the restrictions are though. The fact that Obi-Wan says he can't interfere if Luke faces Vader and the way his physical appearance fizzles out are some of the more interesting mysteries associated with Force ghosts.

Well for starters, he was still pretty behind in his Jedi training compared to those that came before him, so I'm sure he put a lot of focus on that. Besides that, I would imagine rebuilding the Jedi Order, i.e. seeking out Force-sensitive children to train, and possibly being involved in the political reinstatement of that Order come to mind. Besides, the Jedi Archives were massive and there was plenty to learn about the Jedi Order as well as the things they studied with or without the aid of ghosts. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he spent a fair amount of time in the Temple getting educated, assuming that information was still available.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Edit: Double Post

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    When gone I am, the last Jedi you will be.

Everything in here indicates that Yoda is not planning to stick around forever.

Odolwa likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Force ghosts do present plot problems. That's why no one here is suggesting they be brought in for every problem. We're simply pointing out that the whole reason to become a Force ghost is to become immortal while retaining your identity. That's not just to enjoy a vacation. It means the ghosts want to help when they must. They want to influence events.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Just because one can do something, doesn't mean they will.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If someone is really desperate, the first thing is to use (almost) all tools at his/her disposal to solve a problem.

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So what are you saying then? All the Force Ghosts should die?

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yep. Or vanish into the force, if you prefer that expression.

Except for Anakin. There's still plot-business for him.

Odolwa likes this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Vanishing into the Force solves a plot problem by creating a new contradiction.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Not true. Obi-Wan was "more powerful than you could possibly imagine" because he could aid Luke, the one who brought upon the end of the Empire. He already benefited greatly from becoming a ghost and so did his cause.

16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    But your argument seems to suggest Obi interfering was a mistake, does it not? It doesn't matter that he vanishes forever, if he could. What matters is he helped Luke and apparently ruined the movie. ;)

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There's nothing wrong with having one or two Jedi mentor characters. But four are too many.

What's next? A ghost committee? A Jedi senate?

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It's true. The Jedi have been so successful it can take the tension out of the plot.

This was my main complaint in TPM, and at times in the other PT films. They just so easily cut through the droids like butter it was dull.

When they finally got gunned down by the clones I didn't want to be excited, but couldn't help it. ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I get your concern, but it's possible that they'd each have something unique to offer.

Qui-Gon: The least likely to be seen, but possibly the wisest with the greatest connection to the Whills and the mysteries of the Force.

Obi-Wan: Luke's original mentor and friend, who it appears will have a descendant of his own who may need counseling.

Yoda: The oldest. Also very wise, with the experience to back it up. Good for a personal view of ancient history.

Anakin: Luke's father. Strongest personal connection plus a first-hand perspective of the Dark Side.

They wouldn't all need to be seen in the same movie even, and certainly not at the same time, except possibly at the end of the saga. Also they may not be able to show up at just any time. Obi-Wan was absent for a lot of the OT, and indicated that there were limitations to when and how he could help.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This is great for new viewers. They won't know what the hell is going on.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

Did they know what was going on in Episodes V and VI when Obi-Wan showed up?

When you're making a movie called Episode VII you should be able to enjoy it without seeing the previous movies, but I don't think it's too much to ask people to see the ones before it if they want to really understand what's happening in it. It isn't like they're making them read or anything. ;)

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    People wanting Dark lords to return, For ghosts to be there for assistance. Sounding like harry potter.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    V and VI weren't a start of a new trilogy 15 years after the last star wars movies.

I disagree. You can't ask of children to watch the previous movies.

24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The new viewers can watch the darn DVD. :mad:

The poor children. What will they think?

"Bam, bam, pow!"

In other words, who cares.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

You can't expect children to have a full grasp of what's going on either. Mostly you just hope they're entertained by the whiz-bang of it all, like the characters, and maybe understand on some level the more universal mythological aspects of it. Besides, I'd imagine most people who take their children to see it will show them the other films as well.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.