main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST a Sequel to the OT or the Saga (OT + PT)?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Jan 10, 2014.

?

Is the ST a Sequel to the OT or the Saga (OT + PT)?

1. It's a direct sequel to the OT. It should conclude thematic and plot elements from the OT only.

15.5%
  2. It's a sequel to the Saga. It should conclude thematic and plot elements from the PT & OT

83.1%
  3. Other: Be specific you

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Child: "Who is that ghost man, momma?"
    Parent: "You know who it is you little @$%&!"

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    [face_laugh]

No seriously, enough older people probably also don't know anymore who Qui-Gon Jinn is.

3. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    What elements from the PT would really be needed for part 7? Most of the characters and plot points would not be relevant to the children of Luke Skywalker.

4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe they should just quit making the movie.

Everything is much much too difficult. [face_batting]

Green_Destiny_Sword:
    Says you.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think there's a good possibility it could conclude the saga as a whole, but hope it's not the case. It most definitely will invlove elements from the whole saga. ass much as some want to ignore the PT the PT IS the saga and the OT continues THAT story. I really hope they continue beyond E9 though.

Darth Raiden and Dra--- like this.
  6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I also sincerely hope they continue the franchise beyond EPVII. But finish the current saga at EPIX.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That's one reason why sequels are often not as successful as the original.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Actually, I think a bigger reason is that writers don't tend to know what to do with the character arc after the first film. Characters usually have become heroes at the end of the first film by overcoming some internal problem. Then in the 2nd and 3rd films, it doesn't usually make sense to bring the same problem up. So either you 1) come up with some new internal challenge, 2) repeat the old one, or 3) simply have them be a one-dimensional hero with no more room to grow. The best option is usually 1) imo, but what writers tend to do is 3). That's why sequels tend to lose their dramatic punch and tend to become more about the action.

However, if you know ahead of time you're doing a trilogy, you can pace that character arc with more of a long view.

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well said. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi have no references to virgin births, Chosen Ones, midichlorians, etc. Aside from say Coruscant (and I don't even think of that as a true PT element), I hope the movie doesn't try in desperation to shoehorn elements from the PT just to make a few defensive fans happy.

Pro Scoundrel and Odolwa like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    You could reference the fall of the Jedi Order in regards to Luke and his choices. Perhaps in the 30+ years since ROTJ, Luke has learned the full story behind the fall of the Jedi and how their dogmatic and inflexible attitudes help cause their demise. When he founds the new Jedi Order, he tries to change things and avoid making those same mistakes. For example, getting rid of the stupid rule against Jedi marrying or having emotional attachments, since that rule help lead to Anakin's fall.

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Defensive fans have nothing to do with the story. The entire story is great so far and I hope the ST finds its purpose by paying off or concluding the story as it stands now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, I didn't read the entire 7 pages of this thread, so I apologize if I'm retreading ground.

While Episode VII will be a direct sequel to ROTJ (so it's a given that they will refer to things from the OT), I think the ST as a whole should still harken back to certain things in the PT in order to tie it together as one Saga. I know some people don't like to admit it (myself included at times), but the PT is a significant part of the story and it would just seem odd to not have any reference to it at all.

13. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Prior to 2004 did the OT have any reference to it?

How'd that work out?

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I see what you're getting at and trust me, I don't like the majority of the changes. That still doesn't change the fact that they still tell the same story through the use of the same characters and by continuing/concluding plot points introduced in the PT (if viewed in Saga order). Even if you prefer to view the OT first, it's like filling in the blanks - for better or for worse - when you go back and watch the PT and witness how everything came to be. They still connect to each other and tell the same story. That's what I'm looking for in the ST. It doesn't have to be to the extent that we see between the OT and PT, but it would still be nice to see some reference to what came before, even if it is through bits of dialogue, a location or ship or maybe even a costume piece. They should still feel like the same universe and that they are a part of the same story. Why else would you name them Episodes VII - XI?

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This I'm totally fine with. I just don't want the ST to have to focus on whole plot points from the other trilogies. I want it to have it's own plot points, like rebuilding the galaxy, the republic, the jedi order, introducing new characters, new threats. I don't want it to spend it's time trying to flesh out old plots. I'm interested in now, not then.

HanSolo29 and Odolwa like this.
  16. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It should do both. There's nothing left unresolved in the OT. In fact there is no ST without the PT. The PT makes the ST possible and all that you desire to see should be there. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Locking this poll thread (with input from Dra---)... please refer to the new poll thread found HERE, with a very similar theme to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.