main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Jan 11, 2014.

?

Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

1. Yes. Episode IX will conclude the story that began with TPM.

35.2%
  2. No. Episode XII will conclude the story that began with TPM.

9.9%
  3. No. The story that began with TPM will continue indefinitely.

28.4%
  4. No. The story that began with TPM ended with ROTJ, and Episode VII will begin a new story.

21.6%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm really torn on this question, if the ST is a hit (which it likely will be) of course Disney will want to make more. I kind of think having a Episode 10-12 is pushing it, maybe after Episode 9 they could only make spin offs...and let's hope there is no remake in store!

2. niel6658

niel6658 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2013
    Yes, maybe the ST will set the stage for future spin-off movies set in the SW universe.

1000+ years of Galactic unity under Jedi-guidance (light side) ends at the end of PT.
    30+ years of Galactic unity under Sith-rule (dark side) ends at the end of OT.
    A New Republic (with Jedi and Rebel techs) and a new Sith Empire (with Sith and Imperial techs) exists side by side in peace (as ying/yang) at the end of ST.

This would allow future movies to be open-ended with evolving SW tech. Instead of having to devolve SW tech if they have to be make prequels set 1000+ years before The Phantom Menace. Remember there was no military conflicts during the golden age of the Old Republic.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I think this is just the way it needs to be. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Disney wanted to keep going. I think IX needs to be the proper ending to the Skywalker saga. Plenty of room for spinoffs in that frame of thinking.

4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

Echo, old pal, I've addressed this before. The serials that Lucas based Star Wars on all had definitive endings. They never continued indefinitely. When the story ended they'd sometimes make a sequel serial with a new set of chapters, but they were always made all at once and were never open-ended. I agree that Lucas provided blueprints for the future, but that doesn't mean that the plan would be to continue with these episodes forever. I'm not saying it couldn't happen that way, but if they want to maintain the integrity of this saga, I think the better idea is to either make new serials in this universe once this one is completed, or do away with the serial format completely to tell a larger more interconnected story like Marvel is doing. Or maybe both, who knows.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Done. Also, this was pretty similar to Dra--- 's poll thread that I'm locking now (with input from him). Please check with a mod before starting new threads that are pretty similar like these are (this one has a slightly different twist to it, but overall it's too similar to keep them both open).

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Sorry about that. The idea for this thread grew out of that one but I thought there was enough of a difference to justify it. I'll ask next time.

EHT likes this.
  7. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Not sure. I've never thought of the saga to begin and end at some point. It's a whole lot bigger than that, it always was. We were invited in its wonderous world starting (chronologically) with TPM, but as long there is even one person creating new films/books/games/artwork/fan fiction, the Star Wars universe will live on forever. *__*

Pro Scoundrel and Odolwa like this.
  8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I see potentially a prelude trilogy (i.e. origin of the Sith, prophesy, etc), but I think that would be it. I could see spin-offs being made into trilogies. Just look at Iron-Man as compared to The Avengers (even though those are in reverse chronological order).

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think the SW saga ends at 9. Doesn't mean we can't start a new Clone Wars Saga, or New Republic Saga, or Jedi Knights Saga, or Bounty Hunter Saga, etc. They can always subtitle a new saga.

10. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The ST should end the saga. A trilogy of trilogies sounds perfect.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that is a possible scenario that the Skywalkers end but the story still continues from where it left off without them (at least I think that is what you are saying).

I think it comes down to whether Disney CAN extend the saga. None of us here have seen the contract, so nothing is 100%, but I think based on the business model, and Iger's tone (among other things, emphasizing that SW would be owned by Disney, and that Lucas would have to accept that he was relinquishing control with the sale), I think you would have to logically lean towards nothing binding being in place to stop the saga. I don't think Disney pays the big bucks with those kind of constraints in place; despite the vast amount of products available, the saga is the heart and soul of SW; NO WAY in my book Disney buys SW and agrees to end it.

So going on the premise that they CAN extend the saga, I think Disney is first and foremost a business, and they WILL. Who knows what happens between now and then- maybe a particular SW spinoff or TV show REALLY takes off, and becomes the primary focus of SW, and there is really no need from a business perspective to continue the saga, but I don't foresee that happening. Money talks.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What I'm really hoping for is that they pick an era and create a whole new set of heroes and villains. You can then begin anew with the episode numbers (this would avoid the episodes getting into ridiculously high numbers) and create an entirely new saga. They could continue creating these new sagas to their hearts content without having to tread the same ground over and over. I mean this is the way those old serials SW is based on were structured, create a twelve part story and then begin again with another twelve part story, so I think it could work well with the GFFA.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think 3 things point to there being something in the contract.

1.) Lucas post-sale talking about the ST as the end of the saga

2.) Lucas' hardnosed negotiations and willingness to walk away from the deal before Disney agreed with him

3.) the emphasis by Disney after the acquisition of the number of characters in the SW universe. They stressed that they bought that.

Also, end to the 9 episode Saga is not an end to Star Wars, just one story out of a billion that can be told.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I am betting we get an answer to the question of what Disney has agreed to regarding extending the saga sometime around episodes 8 and 9. Everything is focusing on 7 because it is the only game in town right now, and the end of the saga is a long way off. But as SW movies and spinoffs roll in, the drumbeat of "what's next?" will get louder.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    OK, I'm going to play the poll game with this one. I voted, but I vote what I want, not necessarily what I think will happen, or can support with meaningful evidence.

My vote, because it's what I want, is that this trilogy will be the end of the story that started with TPM.

Kudos to Mystery Roach for the choices here, as they are very well defined options.

With that said, I do agree with those who have said it was too early to tell on this.

:cool:

16. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No, as long as the Saga (meaning Episodes I-???) keeps making money they will churn out more product. Disney owns it now, they are not beholden to a 9-part or 12-part Saga.

Echo-07 and Lee_ like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed

18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

Seconded...

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, you've seen the contract and you know the terms? Please share

Churning out more product does not mean they have the rights to go beyond the 9 episodes. There will be more movies, trilogies of movies, and potentially sagas of movies, but all signs point to THIS saga ending at episode 9.

Revious Nugo and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    This is Iger's direct quote during the announcement of the Disney deal:

In 2015, we’re planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the “Disney-Lucasfilm” brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long-term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.

He later added there would be spin-off movies in the intervening years between episodes. So it certainly sounds like Disney has plans beyond VII-IX. Do the ST end the involvement of Hamill, Ford and Fisher in the Saga... almost certainly, but Disney is under no obligation to stop creating further episodes in the Saga. The terms of the deal are pretty simple; it's a simple stock and cash transaction for ownership of the company. From the official press release of the Lucasfilm sale.
    Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

Disney will then buy back Lucas' shares to complete the terms of the sale. Additionally:

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Disney owns Star Wars outright now... they could tell Lucas to go pound sand if they wanted. Now maybe there's some sort of "gentleman's agreement" that Disney will stop creating Star Wars Saga episodes after IX... but I highly doubt that.

Yancy

TX-20 and Lee_ like this.
  21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    We don't know the terms of the deal, but Lucas did say at the same time as that press release that these movies would "complete the trilogy", and from his wording I think the only logical interpretation of his statement can be that he was referring to the "trilogy of trilogies" that he's referred to in the past. This strongly indicates to me that this saga will end with Episode IX but that there's a larger plan in place for other films to be made afterwards.

Revious Nugo, T-R- and StoneRiver like this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Just because something is called Episode X doesn't mean it's part of the I-IX saga. It could begin a saga of its own

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Or, like others were saying, it could be a continuation of the story without the Skywalkers. I think that from Lucas's perspective, it WOULD complete the saga. But I think a contractual obligation to not call anything episode 10 is a good sized leap from that. Lucas is trusting Disney to not screw up his franchise, but he knows it is in their hands, and I highly doubt he got into small stipulations about what they can and can't do.

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

Then why wouldn't they just drop the numbers entirely or start over with a new set of Episodes? These movies are meant to emulate the serial format, and those all had chapter numbers that came to an end when the story was over. Then if it was successful they'd start another story with a different title and new set of chapters. So if they're going to begin a new saga, then stylistically it would make a lot more sense to do it that way

Revious Nugo and StoneRiver like this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yancy, the quote you provide from Iger is further evidence that additional movies won't be X, XI, XII, etc. and support the idea that the Star Wars Saga will conclude with episode IX.

Iger said, "In 2015, we’re planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the “Disney-Lucasfilm” brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long-term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."
    If these new features were going to be X on up, Iger would've specified it as he did with 7, 8, and 9. He didn't say "our long term plan is to release further installments" and he didn't say "episodes every two or three years" and he didn't say "then release 10, 11, and so on every two or three years." He calls out 7-9 specifically and then talks about features.

It is clear from Disney's use of 7-9 in relation to the ST, their reference to spinoffs, their reference to the millions of characters and stories, and Lucas' statements post sale regarding the saga and the sale itself, that the Star Wars Saga is 1-9 and additional movies will fall outside of this structure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.