main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poll: John William's Best Score Ever

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darthkarma, Jan 9, 2002.

?

Poll: John William's Best Score Ever

Poll closed Feb 8, 2002.
  1. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

15 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

47 vote(s)
    48.5%
  4. Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Schindler's List

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Jurassic Park

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Superman

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. A.I.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Hey Darthkarma, check out this thread for your answer. :D

2. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I checked it out.

LOL, yes, there are ENTIRE LEGION of ESB fanatics!

3. EvenPiell

EvenPiell Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    ESB used imperial march tooo much. Its great and everything but it relies on it, the asteroid field is good, but it seems all the pieces in that film have some part of the imperial march in it, and it bugs me. I voted TPM because of how it works new music into the old, and Duel of the Fates is my favourite piece he's ever done.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, the reason he uses the Imperial March so much is that, first of all, the movie's about the empire striking back 8-}, and secondly it's a brand new theme worthy of a lot of attention.

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I had to go with Return of the Jedi, slightly over ESB. The emotion of the music is at its peak, with the death of Yoda, the Dark Side Beckons, and the deaths of the Emperor and Vader.

6. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I think the trouble with Return of the Jedi is that the music only gets good towards the end, where as with Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars, it's brilliant right from the beginning.

Another great John Williams's soundtrack is Empire of the Sun. It's just superb.

7. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I think as a loose, statistical sample of people's opinions on John William's scores,
    it would be cool if we get have at least 100 votes. If you know someone on the boards who's interested in William's music, please suggest they cast a vote. There's 20 days left to vote. Thanks.

8. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Do you seriously mean in the poll? You realize that the choices aren't a quarter of the scores he has done, right? I don't mean this as bashing, but just recognizing the limitations of the poll system. If anything, it seems to me that for each one to point out their favorie (damn near impossible if you ask me) would be enough.

Williams is such an incrediable composer that any poll involving more than a span of 5 years would be too hard for anyone to vote on. I remember an early thread that asked us to choose our favorite among his three big 1977-78 scores (ANH, Superman, Close Encounters), and till this day, I don't know my answer; not even one position is locked in. On another occassion when I was discussing Williams with a JCer, we discussed about the scores Williams composed for in between the first two Star Wars prequels, and we still couldn't come into a conclusion. That's between three years and 4 scores. Did I mention none of these resemble each other at all. Amazing.

9. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

You're right Bright Sith. It's a shame the polling system won't let you set it up for more than ten choices. I agree ten scores is just a fraction of Mr. William's great work and is by no means a complete ballot.

10. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I continue to be amazed at this poll. The Empire Strikes Back, which didn't even receive an Oscar nomination as I recall, is trouncing two Academy Award winners, Schindler's List and E.T.

Just goes to show you people around here think pretty differently than Oscar voters,
    :).

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think that because ESB is considered the best of the films people automatically favor its soundtrack over ROTJ, ANH, TPM.

There is no doubt in my mind that ROTJ's soundtrack is the best!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Nope. I am even more sure of ESB having the best score than I am of it being the best film. And it actually did get an Oscar nomination. It didn't win simply because it was a sequel and used some of the same themes.

13. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    phantom menace's fight scene music is amazing

14. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

You're right. John William's did some of his best work in the Phantom Menace with the fight scene and Duel of the Fates. It seems like that part of the movie seemed to really get his creative juices flowing.

15. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    1)TPM
    2)TESB
    3)Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4)Jaws
    5)RoTJ

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I haven't even THOUGHT about the CE3K score in years. It was incredible, almost spiritually uplifting and an integral part of the story. It's just remarkable how many great scores JW has written.

17. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The soundtrack to Close Encounters of the Third Kind is, in my opinion, one of John Williams most inventive and effective soundtracks ever, and also one of his very best. Better than Star Wars, infact!

18. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Better than STAR WARS!?

HERESY!

(Just kidding)

;)

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I picked Schindler's List. Very moving score.

20. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

The violin solos by Perlman are incredible.

21. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I'd like to get 100 people to vote in the poll as a nice round number and to get a decent sized sample of opinion from force.net members. Tell your friends to cast their vote. Thanks!

22. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Even thought the number of votes
    keeps going up, the ESB soundtrack
    continues to have almost 50% of the
    votes...which has been the case
    since the beginning. Now I'm starting
    to wonder if it would have been
    different if I had put HOOK or JAWS or SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
    on the ballot.

23. emupiett

emupiett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2000
    Don't get me wrong, ESB is my favorite movie of all time, but have you guys ever really listened to Schindler's List? How can you say ESB is better than that?

Yes, ESB has all that you could wish for in music. Yes, it is one of the best film scores ever written, but the quality of the Schindler's List score far outweighs that of ESB.

Being a composer myself, I have to say that I really love imitating music from ESB, but it is so much harder to write something like Schindler's List, even though it is not as large scale as ESB. Simple music is often the hardest to write.

24. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

No question about it, Schindler's List is one for the ages. The beauty of the music equals the depth of the tragedy and awesome heroism on screen.

Hey everyone, five days left to vote in the poll if you haven't already done so!

25. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.