main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

1. No further development (slight Force sense)

12.1%
  2. Moderate development (strong Force sense, moving objects, sensing feelings)

40.3%
  3. Strong devlopment ie Padawan level (mind tricks, some acrobatics, lightsaber use)

22.6%
  4. Extreme development ie Jedi Knight or Master level (roughly equal to Luke)

31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Tell that to Jabba when she strangled him to death. Anyway, who said anything about revenge? If Leia chose not to be trained, it would be more about fear or anger than vengeance.

Sure. I saw a lot of surprise behind her eyes when Luke mentioned Vader was their father. How they approach this in the ST is still open for debate, imo. ROTJ didn't have any time to explore this right. From a narrative POV, Leia not wanting to get involved too heavily with the Force makes sense because her father was a terrible person who destroyed her home world; in fact, it's more dramatically interesting than her just forgiving Vader's crimes so easily. And force users really are dangerous. It's not an irrational position to be against a new Jedi Order. It lacks foresight, yes, but it's a rational POV.

Everyone has daddy issues. Whether they are aware of it or not.

People are also more likely to have daddy issues when their father tortures them and murders the father that raised them.

Why do we assume Leia even thinks of Anakin as her father? She was raised by a completely different father.

The more I write about this, the less sense it makes for Leia to have any positive feelings towards Anakin at all.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Leia strangling Jabba was a Carrie Fisher choice... she flat out admitted such that they told her they had plans for some other slave doing it but choose to offer it to her too... and Carrie jumped at the chance to do it. However killing Jabba after he had his last chance and proved he'd never stop trying to kill them was a matter of practicality, like Yoda trying to get Luke to defeat his father and the Emperor.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. Honestly I feel it distracts from the new trilogy and hinders/stagnates her development. On top of that she seemed perfectly fine using Jedi sensing powers to see if Luke survived the second death star blowing up, which to me implies again she doesn't dwell in the past but deals with it, moves on, and lives in the present. So again she cared more her loved one than not using her powers out of spite.

As a politican and princess of alderaan she's been trained to not dwell on the short term history of say her bio dad using the force for evil, but instead look at his past of doing good with it too and the jedi orders history of doing good too. Leia isn't a reationist but someone who understood the historical context of why the Empire was evil long befoe they disbanded the Senate, she's an educated pragmistis if anything.
    That's my point. Again to her Vader was her father through genetics only, since Bail Organa raised her he was her father. Yes, learning Vader was her father would hurt but she shown she's the type of woman who'd have gotten over it 38 years later...

Plus Vader tortured her 4 years before she discovered he was her Father and she knew he didn't know she was his daughter either. Yes it'd hurt learning this but at the time of the events she was think the Emperors stoog was torturing her, not daddy. Your point is kinda moot since she never assocated her horrible moments as daddy doing it, just that man did nothing as Tarkin killed my dad. Again it would hurt, but she learned it after the fact and at about the same time learned her dad tried to change his ways and died to save her.

My point is regardless of how she feels about Vader, he's dead and died correcting his mistakes for Luke and HER. It was his dying wish she'd know this. She lives in the present and this isn't a story taking place 2 years later but 30+ and nothing we know about Leia shows shed not have gotten over it by now. VII is about setting up a new trilogy and new generation, not continuing to mop up the Empire and the big three's next moment in life but decades later instead so dwelling on Vader is next to pointless waste of screen time.

TKT and Mystery Roach like this.
  3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I voted "Moderate development."

Firstly, Leia's role in the OT was as a Politician. I think they will keep this role for her in the ST. It was Luke's "thing" that he was a Jedi. Leia is more family oriented methinks -- I think she was more interested in Han than honing her Force skills post ROTJ.

Secondly, I think George, who's BIG on archetypes and symbology, will not pass-up the symbolism of motherhood: It is widely presumed that she and Han had a child (or more). I think it would be perfect if she was also Supreme Chancellor of the New Republic -- Leia as mother of her family and mother of a New Republic is perfect!

Lastly, I would love to see her influence the weak-minded with her Force abilities, kind of like Anakin suggested in AOTC when he said he'd make everyone agree. That would be awesome!

TKT and Dra--- like this.
  4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Your points are well taken, Ryus. I'm not really thinking she'll still hate Anakin (maybe), but more likely have some complex ambivalent feelings about him. That it's 30 years later does weaken my argument quite a bit. But I suppose the 30 years doesn't matter -- she may have made a decision post-ROTJ not to seek extensive training, or that she didn't want her children trained, fearing that they might end up like Anakin.

I think that learning your father tortured you would indeed lead you to associate your father as your abuser, because he was. When you say "she never" did is kind of odd, as though you have been inside Leia's mind and have some secret access there. :)

I'm for this idea because I'd like to see this tension between Luke and Leia. Good storytelling is about drama and consequences, so having Leia just not give a whit about Vader seems a little too sentimental and unrealistic to me.

We'll agree to disagree. :)

5. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I disagree on Leia's role in the OT being a polititian. The only time she was ever one in the original movies was the opening of ANH. She's then branded a traitor, her home planet is destroyed and the senate is disolved. Thats the last we ever see or hear of her political status. The rest of the trilogy she was too busy playing rebel fugitive, military commander and foot soldier. Padme was the one that was consistantly a polititian throughout her trilogy, but never Leia.

As for her force level, I think she should definitely be Jedi Master level. She is the daughter of the Chosen One after all and we're looking at a 30-40 year gap between the two trilogies. You telling me someone like Leia couldn't multi task her Jedi training and political duties during that time? Palpatine did it, and lets not forget how little time it took Luke to become a Jedi. Leia's potential is just as strong as theirs.

My ideal scenario for Episode VII would be to establish Leia as both a Jedi Master, polititian and mother without worrying too much about the details within those 30+ years.

6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I wouldn't scream if Leia is the next Mace or Yoda, but imo we need to get away from this idea that all force sensitive Skywalkers can only serve the galaxy by being a kick butt Jedi Master.

If it's the case that the Republic outlaws the Jedi Order, Leia might not train much for that reason, or simply because she's too busy rebuilding the Republic's democracy.

Still, who doesn't want to see her kick some butt? I'm kind of ambivalent on the issue.

HanSolo29 and Echo-07 like this.
  7. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This is Leia in VII kicks *** just like this

BTW What if Leia is the new Darth in VII. Imagine Leia and Luke in this epic dual.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yes! Leave this way they don't write themselves into a corner for all the future stories they'll make in this time period.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Her power will be 11

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Man, I really don't know. I can't picture Fisher playing anything remotely a Jedi, let alone a master, now.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I voted for Leia to be a Master in Episode VII. My reasoning is this, when Luke arrived on Dagobah in ESB, he was in pretty good shape physically and I'd say above average as far as mental discipline goes.(I'm not saying stupid, just unfocused) Leia, being trained as a politician/diplomat has a fairly well disciplined mind and is certainly above average physically as seen by fact she can keep up with Han and/or Luke through all three movies. That being said, I don't think it would take too much of an effort for her to undertake whatever training it takes to bring her up to the level of a Master.

agentkrycek likes this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I couldn't picture Heath Ledger being the Joker either... I can very much see Carrie Fisher playing the Yoda ESB teasing not to be the what you expect Jedi. Now an Obi-wan type role of being the perfect Jedi I'd agree with you but who says there can't be more than one way to be a Jedi. Plus the Jedi of Luke's time might view how to be a Jedi differently due to lack of knowledge/nessessity of the times... so who's to say. Personally I'm all for expanding on what it means to be a Jedi as long as they are still Light side at their core I'm of the less strict opinion of what a Jedi should be.

Plus she's shown she can act the politican in ANH, a leap to Jedi isn't that big when you think about it.

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes this is an interesting thing to consider, but they still have to be true to the character of Leia. They clearly imply in Ep's 5 & 6 that she would learn the ways of the Force. Might seem strange to back away from that now. It's a tricky one

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    That's true...it would go against the whole Return of the Jedi storyline, too. Luke was supposed to pass on the knowledge of the Force and Leia was sure to be the first of the new.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    ...How's Carrie going with those personal trainers?? Time to step up the program.

16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

"You will vote for me in the Senate"

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Good question. I would love to see how pork chop and ham hock are looking nowadays, too.

18. PANAKIN_Hightalker

PANAKIN_Hightalker Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I went with Moderate and Mastery in that I believe that she'll be a master of perception due to her sensing abilities being through the roof (ESB and ROTJ demonstrated that it just seems to come natural to her). I do believe that she'll be trained in the martial arts of Jedi combat and that she will be quite advanced (remember: her father was good in a fight and great with the blade; her mother was good in a fight and pretty damn good with a blaster, and Leia herself is highly skilled with a blaster). She won't be on par with her brother as far as saber technique goes, but she WILL know how to use it effectively and at the drop of hat, and I think that she'll even carry it as a side arm. I think that she will be adept at general telekinesis as well.

Even though it was mostly at the behest of her adopted father, Bail, she was the one that sent the message of urgency to Obi-wan in ANH. Leia was a VERY educated person (primarily because it came with the territory of her political position plus she grew up in a Royal family). More than likely, she was very aware of the Jedi Order's historical relevance and importance and I suspect she appreciated and respected it. Even before she learned that Luke was her brother she was not spooked about his force prowess nor did she exhibit any less trust in him when it was evident that he was planning to hone his skills (ESB).

I think that we're going to see her in a primarily "political emeritus" type of role and I also believe that we'll see her giving her force-adept family "Jedi-esque" advice and instructions when it proves applicable to the dialogue of the moment. With all of that said, I don't believe that we'll see her engaging in the type of Jedi combat ala Dooku versus (insert name here) even with digital assistance. She's obviously too old and not in the physical shape for it, and I don't think Abrams, Kennedy and Kasdan are trying to even focus on the notion.

19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I want to see her use a lightsaber and kick A$$.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I voted for "quirky Force powers to get out of a jam" level 2 but anyone think there's a chance the movie will just forget the whole "The Force is strong in my family" bit and just have her be Leia sans any powers? I think the idea that she'd be a tad scared and hesitant to get too deep, or at all, into the Force is a real possibility.

21. PANAKIN_Hightalker

Oct 18, 2003
    I think Abrams will not be able to resist the opportunity to show Leia using her blade (because he knows that a lot of fans want to see it, and he himself might even be intrigued by the notion), however I see her using it more in the fashion of the Obi-wan Mos Eisley cantina scene ;) . They are not gonna show this woman doing back-flips and high-jumps though lol. It will be cool if/when we see a lightsaber hanging from her belt for the first time though [face_dancing]

Oh and just to add: I wouldn't be surprised if we see her doing some jedi meditation. She may even be the first person (between herself and Luke) that acutely senses that there is an impending dark problem that is stirring about.

22. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Showing Leia use a lightsaber like Obi-Wan did in the Mos Eisley Cantina is definitely the best way to go. Its a nice small badass moment to show how far she's come without taking away from Luke and the newer characters.

23. PANAKIN_Hightalker

Oct 18, 2003
    I wanna see her try to do a Jedi mind trick on Han while they're having a slight disagreement about something so Han can have an incredulous look on his face while Luke grins and face-palms [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6, Echo-07 and mes520 like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Like many others, I think her role will continue to be in the political area, but she might get some training, just not full on Jedi Knight.

Though, I would love to see her as a fully trained Jedi, I could see the reasons for her not wanting and/or waiting to do so. Soon after ROTJ, the need would be for her to remain in politics, maybe by the time the ST starts the need won't be as big, but since we have no idea what is going on in the galaxy when the ST starts, I really can't say much of anything with any strong reasoning behind it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If it's true that the Jedi Order hasn't been reestablished, then I can definitely see Leia reentering the political arena after ROTJ, but I think she would have also developed a mastery of the Force on the side. I doubt we'll see her doing a lot of flips and such, but I can imagine her being engaged in a proper lightsaber fight in the end of the film along with Luke, a la Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Maul. Not saying I think this will happen, but I would love to see her fighting alongside her brother.

As for her feelings about Vader, I'm inclined to agree with Ryus. She doesn't seem like the type to carry a chip on her shoulder, especially after so long, and it doesn't sound like the most interesting dramatic device to me anyway. Of course this could have to do with my generally hating characters who have chips on their shoulders. And besides, I'd be surprised if we didn't get this in at least one of the younger characters in some form anyway. No need to burden a character like Leia with it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.