main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

1. No further development (slight Force sense)

12.1%
  2. Moderate development (strong Force sense, moving objects, sensing feelings)

40.3%
  3. Strong devlopment ie Padawan level (mind tricks, some acrobatics, lightsaber use)

22.6%
  4. Extreme development ie Jedi Knight or Master level (roughly equal to Luke)

31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Just one more reason he would want the job. :)

2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    If we only have Episode VII to focus on the Main Cast, I don't think there is enough time to address Leia's force sensitivity, beyond a scene or two that shows she is prescient (like this scene).

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I imagine she'd be decently developed by now, but I really don't need to see her as a full blown Jedi or even someone's padawan. I'm attracted to the notion that Leia has dedicated the last several decades raising a new galactic government, and a family, and as such her pursuit of Jedi matters has taken a backseat to far more pressing matters in her life.

I like the idea of Leia's force powers being expressed in ways that were hinted at in the OT. Through spiritual-emotional sensibilities, intelligence, wisdom, more power of mind and spirit over physical prowess and lightsabership. The only ways I'm interested in seeing Leia exert herself force physically are if they resemble something more like Vader's wicked Force block, like in ESB. I get chills at the idea of seeing Leia perform an echo of what her father did when Han fired upon him. Or continued excellent marksmanship (something naturally exhibited by her father and brother before they were ever trained).

I do not need to see Princess Leia in a duel.

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Luke was a reluctant moisture farmer longing for a bigger life.
    Leia was a politician and leader who was already living a big life.
    Luke wanted out.
    Leia never did.

Apples and oranges.

Politicians typically have very long political careers. If set 30 years after ROTJ, Leia would only be in her 50s, and thus in the prime of her political career. If politicians on a singular planet have enough work to dedicate most of their lives to the system, how much more so for a figure working at a galactic scale?
    Leia would be similar in age to Mon Mothma in the OT and Palpatine and her own father, Bail, in the PT. None of them were painted as retirees.

Echo-07 and TKT like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    But, using the rule that the episodes are meant to be watched in order, in Ep 6 it's clearly set up for her to learn about & develop the Force ("in time you'll come to use it as I have"). Then you pop in Ep 7 where she's had 30 years & she's barely had any development? Wouldn't that be a bit jarring? They would need to address it IMO & come up with a good reason.

Maybe one reason could be that after Palpatine it was decided that Force users were not allowed to hold political office, so she chose politics & couldn't pursue the Force even if she wanted to.

dolphin likes this.
  6. PANAKIN_Hightalker

PANAKIN_Hightalker Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I had a similar consideration as this. At this stage of the game, the galaxy could be very leery (and, certainly weary) of all this Force-user/politician/military-leader business (Palpatine, Vader, etc.). I just don't see the story being written that way though, but imagine the Skywalkers/Solos having a major opposition in the government due to this very thing, especially if word got out about what their REAL lineage is.

dolphin, Darth_Downunder and jaqen like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Moderate development. I can’t see Leia wanting to follow in her father and brother’s footsteps. I think she should still be in politics.

Echo-07 and HanSolo29 like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I do not want to see her have a lightsaber.

Echo-07 and Dra--- like this.
  9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Lightsabers for all! Ten each for every finger!

jaqen likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And for each toe!

jaqen likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    But keep in mind that if the saga is watched in order then by Episode VI the audience is already well aware of Leia's identity and force potential. While the news is new to Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, Luke no longer serves as the revealer to the audience, only to Leia. By the time Luke says the line about learning to use her powers in time, the audience would have already seen Leia experience force sensitive moments in ESB and within the same conversation in ROTJ when Leia recalls "images, feelings really" of Padme, a moment they will have seen at her birth as baby Leia starred in her mother's eyes. Also Leia saying "somehow I know, somehow I've always known" is further expression of Leia's use of the force in a more intuitive and psychic manner.

So if we get to episode VII and Leia's force powers are developed in a more subtle way, along those same lines of expression seen in the OT, than the audience won't be jarred by her not being he same kind of force user as her father and brother were. There is already a precedent set for her being a different kind of force user than Luke.

That would be a very intriguing development. [face_thinking]

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    To be fair, Luke stopped being a farmer in his 1st movie and we followed his training as a Jedi. Leia remained a politician the whole OT.;)

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke's just not a farmer. He has too much of his father in him.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's what Owen's afraid of.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And, see how his viewpoint was vindicated...? Farmboys who stay home and don't get involved don't cause their family this kind of inconvenience...
    [​IMG]

Immortiss, Pro Scoundrel and T-R- like this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    can one actually "farm" moisture? Collect moisture, i guess, but farm moisture?

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Although they were technically screwed as soon as they bought those droids. And if Luke has stayed home instead of following R2, he'd be toast too. :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    reminds me of those commercials.

19. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Hmmm...did Luke actually ever actually check that those torched skeletons belonged to Owen and Beru? Does he have a dental record scanner in his landspeeder or something? Those could be the crispy remains of Shmi Skywalker and Kitster for all we know. Beru is probably still in the kitchen pouring blue milk and Owen is probably still sitting at the table looking disgruntled, waiting for that damn kid to get back from recovering the droids.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well in the super duper special editions there will be scene at the end of the credits for ROTJ where Owen is still waiting for Luke to get back. Think Airplane! final scene.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I was mostly kidding. Hence the smiley face. However, I AM of the opinion that Leia can be multiple things in the ST.

22. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    To be fair Leia also stopped being a politician in her first movie. Remember the Empire labeled her as a traitor. Palpatine permanantly disolved the Senate. Alderaan got blown up. She has no political position anymore. Her time as one is over.

What do we see in the other movies? Leia as a military commander on Hoth. A rebel fugitive on Bespin. A soldier fighting on the frontlines of Endor and going undercover in Jabba's Palace. Lover to Han. Sister to Luke. Hints that she will learn the ways of the Force. Her political career on the otherhand is pretty much ignored and forgotten.

23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013

Owen: I guess I picked the wrong week to stop using Death Sticks.
    Beru: Here, use one of mine.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I like movies about gladiators

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.