main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

1. No further development (slight Force sense)

12.1%
  2. Moderate development (strong Force sense, moving objects, sensing feelings)

40.3%
  3. Strong devlopment ie Padawan level (mind tricks, some acrobatics, lightsaber use)

22.6%
  4. Extreme development ie Jedi Knight or Master level (roughly equal to Luke)

31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I disagree. If she's leader of the Republic or even a Senator for the past 30 years and it's been a time of chaos and rebuilding, I don't think it necessarily is a natural progression.There are only 24 hrs in a day.

I don't like the Palpatine analogy very much. We know the darkside is quicker and easier. So that creates an opening there. To be a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master, one needs a lot more time and training imo.

One simple answer is that the past 30 years have been relatively peaceful.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    If they haven't been peaceful she could've been trained even faster. She could've been Luke's apprentice right after RotJ, fighting & training alongside him. Would've provided quite a steep learning curve.

I'd argue that the setup in RotJ was that she'd far more likely pursue the Force than go back to politics. Think back to her final few scenes.
    Politicians are a dime a dozen. Becoming a powerful Jedi Knight serving the side you believe in....that may be a more significant calling.

Lee_, agentkrycek and Ryus like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe she decimates her foes with the power of words?

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What, accusing people of having a foul stench? I think as a Jedi Master she'd be more effective.

I know what you mean though, makes a difference through politics & leadership etc etc. That's what Mon Mothma is for.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Even if the galaxy is in chaos Leia can still be training just as Ahsoka was trained during the Clone Wars and Luke was trained during the Galactic Civil War. The Palpatine analogy works IMO because the Darth Plagueis novel showed that while he was a rising star in politics he still had the time to train as a Sith Lord. He was able to do both successfully. The films don't need to get into these little details though because in the end there fun details to read about but they're really not that important. If Leia's a Jedi in Ep. VII then obviously she found the time to do it and since it's been 30 years since we last saw her that's not much of a stretch. I just don't see it as that hard of a thing to accept.

Lee_, Yanksfan, Mystery Roach and 3 others like this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    & RotJ sets it up for her to do exactly that. I'd argue that at the end of Jedi she's already begun her apprenticeship. Luke has that conversation with her, reveals her heritage, gets her to use her feelings & tells her in time she'll have powers like him. Then at the end of the film she's clearly using the Force.

Lee_, Yanksfan, Mystery Roach and 3 others like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What color will her robes be?

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    She can have any color robes she wants, as long as they're brown.

9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    My problem is less about acceptance and more about drama. I find it much more interesting if Leia is a political figure. The Republic first fell apart in the Senate. Leia's role there is important. She has abilities Mon Mothma does not.

I don't believe Leia would have the time after ROTJ to travel around with Luke and train (or interest). She would have more important things to do.

Ultimately, I find it more dramatically interesting that Leia is not a Knight or Master, but maybe something like an apprentice, but a Master of politics. I find the desire for her to be a kick-butt Jedi to be symptomatic of what bored me in the PT and many superhero movies -- the Jedi were too powerful and everyone kicked butt. Even Sidious used a saber, which I found unnecessary.

Characters can be important in Star Wars without "extreme" super powers. Tension and drama are created by lacks not level 10 Force powers.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Each to their own but there would be a great many people who think that politics should be kept to a minimum or be absent altogether from the ST. Particularly those who disliked that element of the PT. If Leia is indeed a main character again, her being a politician may naturally steer the story towards the political. Not necessarily though, it depends on the plot which we know nothing about.

In the end I can't help thinking that RotJ was clearly & blatantly setting her up to pursue the Force & probably become a Jedi.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Bring me my brown pants!"

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    "So many shades of brown to choose from"
    She would still take forever to find what to wear like any other woman... [face_waiting]

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hurr durr maybe them woman different in gffa? they make me sandwich.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Trollin' trollin' trollin'... keep that post count growin'...

It Is Your Destiny and Dra--- like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I find both interesting paths and my hope is that they won't choose one over the other. The way I see it is directly after ROTJ it would be the more senior members of the Rebel Alliance such as Mon Mothma who would take the leading role in rebuilding the Republic because most of them were there when the old one failed and therefore know it's weaknesses. Leia, Luke and Han would have a significant role in that no doubt but at this time I think their place would be at the front lines, leading the rebel forces in cleaning up the remnants of the Empire. This would be the time period where Leia could be training with Luke. After things settle down and the old guard begin to retire that's when they would hand off the reins of government to Leia and her generation. I've said it many times that I think it'd be wonderful symmetry with the PT if Leia is Supreme Chancellor by the time the ST starts and has not made her Force powers public. This would have built-in drama because of Palpatine being a hidden Sith Lord during his reign as Supreme Chancellor. So how would her enemies and the other members of the Senate react when Leia is outed? There's a lot of dramatic potential in a story like that I think.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer the term "chief of state"

Any job with "Supreme" in the title seems kind of ego-inflating.

Ryus likes this.
  17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Does one have to be a Jedi or Sith to be strong with the Force?​

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    No, if the Force is universal then beings can be strong with it without having even heard of either.

19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm looking at it as more from a "movie production sales pitch". Keeping the original 3 essentially the same (just older and wiser) would make the best sense to sell this to non fans. If they are trying to recapture the regular folks that "lost interest of Star Wars in the PT age", keeping the original 3 somewhat unchanged would be best.

People miss:
    "Han the Smuggler" The thought is he would be the same, just a little more grumpy, and still very arrogant.
    "Luke the Jedi Master" Luke was the last of the Jedi and over they years he honed his skills and is now a great master.
    "Leia the Leader" Sure Leia can be a leader and a Jedi, but I think it adds "too much" to her character. She can actually even be the chancellor of Coruscant.

Keeping three separate types of characters, plus keeping them "similarly" styled to there original type of character will sell the most tickets.

For me I just don't get the feeling that Leia was really into being a Jedi. Sure it was sort notice when Luke told her and over 30 years she could have been a great Jedi. I'm voting for keeping her the same...

Dra--- and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Remember though keeping her the same means the Force is already with her. She was using it at the end of RotJ. So presumably she continued to use it some degree for the following 30 years. Question is did she get better at it & if so how much better?

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Voted moderate.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I also voted moderate. I don't want her to be at or near an equal level with Luke, given that I think it's Luke who should be training her. But I would like to see some development. I don't know who would have the Force and not want to learn how to use it. :p Also, I think it helps the plot and makes sense. I would also like to see her with a lightsaber.

Dra--- and Darth_Downunder like this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I concede there are some convincing arguments that Leia could be a Knight or Master by the time of the ST. I just find it more interesting if she's spurned serious training for personal reasons. It depends on what interests you most about the character: a conflicted interior or Force powers. I'm hoping for both, but I believe the conflicted interior will lead to moderate abilities and sporadic training. She could still use her powers as many imagine, in the realm of politics. And politics don't have to be boring -- it doesn't need to be represented as long monologue speeches, but cloak and dagger stuff. For example, Leia senses something wrong with a representative and searches their office, discovering a criminal transaction. If she doesn't use a saber, maybe she blasts a spy or criminal who are trying to buy someone off. It could be cool, and more OT style than Mega Force Powers 3000. Anyway, this is just my personal taste.

I do really like the scenario Darth Chiznuk lays out above.

I should also bring up the rumor of there being no Jedi Order at the beginning of the ST. If it wasn't rebuilt, that seems to suggest a possibility that Leia wasn't trained at all.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Type 'em on, post 'em up,
    Post 'em up, type 'em out,
    Type 'em on, post 'em out banhide!

:p

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly, this was a point that I made earlier in the thread- yeah, Leia would be a great politician, but there would HAVE to be other great politicians just based on probabilities alone. On the other hand, when the manure hit the fan, there are no other Leia's in terms of force power (except Luke); IMO it just wouldn't make sense for them to not say, "Leia, come on and train, we need your powers in this desperate fight." The only plausible explanation (or IMO perhaps the only GOOD explanation) would be that Leia herself rejects this path for a long time, until it is an urgent necessity.

One point that I haven't seen made is that some force training actually could help her as a politician, so the 2 ideas aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; she could combine them in some way to be more effective in both.

Yanksfan, agentkrycek and Ryus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.