main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poll Limitations

Discussion in 'Communications' started by george_starwars, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Just a thought, but if some people are abusing the poll feture, why not put a limit on how many polls you can create in a set period of time. It really doesn't seem fair to punish those of us who don't abuse it.

If a poll is redundent, just lock it and take away a person's polling rights for a while. What does everyone else think?

And please, if this is already being discused, lock this thread and send me there! I hate redundent threads.

No need for more than one thread on the topic. This thread can handle the debate.

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I don't think it's likely this will happen. It's kind of hard to abuse the poll feature since most of the major forums have it disabled anyway, unless someone goes into one of the smaller forums and spams it up there.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Also to be considered is the fact this would probably require a code chance, maybe a small one but onw that we can nto accomplish and of which there are a whole host of more important code changes which would take precedence.

Other then that, the idea of turning off a specific posters option to create polls is interesting...

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I know there are far more individuals who wouldn't abuse polls. But speaking as someone around when they were available in the movie forums, they won't come back. They were out of control.

5. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Greg Maddux: No, no, no, no, what i'm saying is, instead of turning off the poll fetures, just limit there use.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You can't give some people poll access and not others. It's actually an edit to a board. In other words, a board has polls or it doesn't. And I believe the editing time or time between posts would be the same for a poll as it would a thread.

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    ?[face_plain]

It's pretty difficult to disable something that's already been turned off. Besides, code updates are very rare, and since polls aren't a major concern, at least right now, I don't expect to see anything changed to reflect your proposal.

8. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Well I think most boards should have polls. It can be such a usefull thing...when used properly.

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    He was trying to say that the forum mods are happy with the polls turned off.

Even if you limit people to 5 open polls at one time, if you have 3 people posting 5 polls each, that 15 threads out of 25 on the first page (for most people). The mods felt that most poll topics work just as well as threads, which encourage more discussion anyhow.

10. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    The Literature forum recently put polls back up. Kadue, Sturm, Gandolf, Genghis, and The Gatherer have kept them in line for the most part. They're not an automatic death sentence for a forum.

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Umm, there is a limit. You can't post more than five polls, board-wide.

Of course, it's easy to get around that with socks.

12. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    If I understand correctly, most boards had polls. They were turned off because people were adusing the system. Now only a few boards have polls. Lets just take away ppolling rights from people who abuse polls and restore polls to whare they used to be.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps this thread could shed some light on things for you.

14. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Knight Rider: Thanks for that link. I spoke my mide in there and ran before the tomatoes could hit me. ;)

edit: I agree Gandolf the Grey. I was just about to lock this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.