main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poll - Moderator Conduct

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    An actual poll would be skewed by "Socks" voting. This way is much more accurrate.

AlienAcid, please stop spamming this thread. Thanks.

2. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    so that makes it alright does it? everybody is flaming so Preacherboy can as well. I have an idea, the criminals are mugging you, but lets not do anything about it. Lets instead get the police to join in and rob you as well.

3. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    Holy crap!? When did Jasman come back?

4. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    What an appropriate signature you have.

5. Jedi Master RussDog

Aug 26, 1998
  6. Look_Sir_Druids

Look_Sir_Druids Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2001
    Isn't PB's twisted rule of this place a given? He hasn't changed since he's been here, so this is a case of closing the barn door after the horses have run out. Let him keep his position.

7. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
  8. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    chop his mod power for a month or so make him a vip, but we will need him to deal with EP2 blitz. hes a good mod, somewhat screwy but that why i like him,weird people are neat.

9. Jedi Master RussDog

Aug 26, 1998
    You guys should just be glad he isn't banning people for being stupid.

10. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I would be sooo banned

11. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Was Pboy out of line?
    Maybe. Yes.

Should he be demoted?
    Maybe. Probably not.

12. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    OK, what specific example of PreacherBoy's behavio(u)r are you referring to? I was talking about his going a little crazy in the YJCC forum last night (or was that someone else who hacked his account? Who knows?) That seemed like harmless fun. b0k!

PB has always been somewhat irritating, caustic, sarcastic, and more than a little defensive, sometimes belligerent, and spiteful. I think he comes close to the line but never quite crosses it. And his "victims" generally deserve it. And he gets the job done. I say, leave him alone.

13. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I agree that mods should be able to have fun. My specific complaints come about due to PB's behavior in 'Communications' the place where board issues and policies should be discussed.

It has been strangely predictable, the spamming of the board, even moreso the spammee's.

edit:

''PB has always been somewhat irritating, caustic, sarcastic, and more than a little defensive, sometimes belligerent, and spiteful. ''

- Would that not be enough to demote him anyway? Being spiteful...?

Jasman, you are a mod. There are two other threads on this page detailing Preacherboy's behavior, I suggest you look at them. Infact I am at a loss as to why you have answered Nathan's question initially, yet later admit you did not know what you were talking about!

14. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    As I have stated several times in the last couple of weeks ALL those in a position of power and/or influence should try to be whiter than white. I accept that we are all human but people who take on certain responsibilities MUST lead by example and not be seen to abuse their position. Whether they have or have not is a different argument. It is the perception of the abuse that is important, IMHO.

They must not let personal disputes overflow onto the general boards as this does the JC no good whatsoever. You cannot have a person lecturing to people about behaviour when their own is not of the expected level. This level is determined, whether we like it or not, by the general membership of the JC.

If the membership as a whole loses faith in a person's abilities to police or execute their responsibilites more trouble than good is caused.

I must say that I was alarmed at PreacherBoy's behaviour over the last couple of days in certain threads. This is not something that I would expect from a Mod. I therefore would argue that this behaviour is not fitting for someone in a Mod position. I don't think it is for me to say whether this deserves demotion. This is for the Admins & Mods to decide. However, you guys must heed the words of us regular members when making your decision.

If you do not follow the rules you police then you are not fit for the role of "moderator".

15. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I think its rather nice the Darth Psycothic(admiral thrawn) has been so animate in his discussion, however being that he has been banned several times and is known as a rather bothersome troll I'm guessing his vote shouldn't count.

16. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    the mod know what to do i will go with what ever they sugest since they probly belt with this before and withdraw my previous sugestion.

17. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Having no clue what it is that PB did now, I can't say he should be demoted. Based on past events, maybe he should have been demoted then, but as we all say here in the financial capital of the universe, past events do not necessarily signify future results.

Plus, who would we Female Dog about if he was gone? Lord Bane? Actually... that's not a bad idea.

18. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Well let's see CA, in one thread he:

i) called a member a 'pretty sick freak'
    ii) deliberate re-printed a private email specifically asked to be kept private.
    iii) used of an expletive - which though now starred out* was not initially.
    iv) Behaves unbecoming of a moderator. I refer to the childish arttitude, overt 'hahaha's' and threat to cut the user off by means of complaining to his ISP.

*Please note that starred out expletives are also against the JC policy. {Though this rule is implemented VERY rarely, and imho rightfully so}
    ---------------------------------------

19. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    I think this thread should be used to find all the members who cause Internet Drama and ban them. In fact, let PB ban them. And make fun of them.

Long live PB!

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    1. Yes
    2. Yes

And those of you who are just coming into this thread to joke around, kindly leave.

21. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    1. Is PreacherBoy's behavior unacceptable for a moderator of his position?

I've dealt with this guy for two and a half years. He's caused me a lot of pain and ruined much of my fun at these boards. Don't get me wrong, I warranted the majority of his wrath.

PreacherBoy tends to flaunt his power to "discipline" (more or less scare) other members. He's mostly known for arrogant, rude, and hardly impartial demeanor.

He's responsible for many low-down and downright below-the-belt schemes. I wrote an example of one of his injustices in another thread, but it's hardly worth repeating as it can be pretty shocking.

Not only that, he's rude (I can only speak for myself here) on IM's and it's simply mind-boggling how a JC moderator - a REPRESENTATIVE of the Jedi Council and TheForce.Net - has such poor, bordering on inexcusable, behaviour.

2. If so, does this behavior warrant a demotion from his current position?

This guy has a very shady past, and he has done little to right himself. He doesn't even try to be personable, and his generally sour attitude alone should be enough to dismiss him. This man has been given way too many second chances - I think the line has to be drawn somewhere.

To his credit, though, he has second-to-very-few technical skills, and has a great taste for games (which is why he remains). Also, he was the main reason why I changed my ways back in '99, but I'm glad I didn't inherit his aloof behavior.

My decision? I think he should go. I don't care about his l33t 5p33k techie hoopla, I'd rather have someone with lesser tech skills than him but is good-natured. If he's so unwilling to change his attitude, then I think it's time we have a changing of the guard.

22. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Thanks for all of you who have said something, but for those of you who never chose to talk to me personally about issues and instead let them fester inside you: You are cowards. I hope one day you mature to have proper communication and debate skills.

Now, to clean a few things up that toochilled has said. In the last 4 posts of his I have read, each of them contained 2-3 "facts" that he outright made up. Here are the ones from his last post in this thread:
    deliberate re-printed a private email specifically asked to be kept private
    Where did you see him ask for it to be kept private? His e-mails contain nothing even close to resembling that.
    sed of an expletive - which though now starred out* was not initially.
    You didn't even see that. All you saw was Watto's note about it, and me saying "Oops" afterwards. Are we going to start listing common mistakes. Oops, spelling error. Admins can't make mistakes! They should me mindless automitons to serve me. Me, me, me. Blah, blah, blah.
    Behaves unbecoming of a moderator. I refer to the childish arttitude, overt 'hahaha's' and threat to cut the user off by means of complaining to his ISP.
    That's my personal right as an Internet user. I see no problem with that. I had every damn right to be on the offensive after what he said.

toochilled- Get your facts straight. I'm extremely irritated that you would go as low as spreading lies to change the outcome of something that, for once as the members want, is democratic.

Everyone, this is a classic example of why you cannot use anything the general public says as being the status quo. Most of them are misinformed, don't even care, or just have their own agenda. Every single one of the Administrators and Staff has not only the maturity, but the means and understanding that the facts must be figured out [by their own doing] first.

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Yeesh! is this still an issue? let the guy be!

He has been here longer then most of the regular posters anyway. he hasn't been demoted in all that time, why now? because a few people can't handle a few harsh words? I deal with worse then PB in RL from people I trust.

::rolleyes::

Just get off his back. he gets the job done well enough.

let him stay.

24. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Pr34ch3rB0y is a fine mod. He was the only one who I noticed taking active measures back in that nasty business in the Games section, and there are no more problems there now; nor do people have to check and recheck their entries, for fear that "Preacherboy will come and smite them all".

I admit, over the last couple of weeks I have not caught myself and have let comments escape me that belong on another board, not this one. I have been warned by both Preacherboy and Dahlin not to do it, and I have learned. It's not going to ruin my fun here on the boards, nor should similar action do it to anyone else.

This is the internet, not a court room. It should be for fun; if people don't wanna play nice, NO-ONE should put up with them, not the users, not Dahlin, and not even Preacherboy. PB acts rudely towards users who break the rules. So what? Quid pro quo, Clarice. PB is a great laugh when no-one's getting up his nose, and from what I have seen on his mediation on truly serious matters, he is logical and fair in any rulings he doles out. He even discusses his decisions with other mods, many users are unwilling to believe.

The other day, someone said that if people don't like it here, then you should go form an EZboard. Get some saps in there, and then You, yes YOU can smack down on people. If I step out of line here, I am not going to have a hissy fit because I am warned, reprimanded or even punished for it. The only thing I have a problem with here is users taking the whole internet/JC thing far too seriously; go with the flow and enjoy this place, you can have some serious fun here if you don't turn it into legal proceedings!

Quid Pro Quo, Clarice.

25. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Well, I guess that settles things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.