main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poll - Moderator Conduct

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Cowards, my backside. I've come up to you to settle our personal issues several times, but each time you'd wave me aside. Thanks a lot, pal.

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    JGM- If you have talked to me personally, I obviously was not referring to you. You are a clean speck in a sea of poop.

3. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    1) Yes
    2) No

4. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    Ok, hopefully I don't incur PreacherBoy's wrath, but here's my honest opinion.

Overall, he's a good mod. Maybe you don't like him, but you don't have to. However, there are times his actions baffle the hell out of me, and I know regular members wouldnt be allowed to get away with a lot of the things he has said/done. He also just gives off this "pissed off" vibe that isnt very pleasant. He often seems to be at odds with other members, which just isnt good for the overall atmosphere of the place.

Should he be demoted?

Maybe not yet. But I do think he should change the way he acts in general, as well as how he responds to things and others.

Hell, I'm quite the sarcastic cat myself (as some of you may have noticed), but he takes it too far seemingly all too often, putting others down in a particularly mean fashion (not that some didnt deserve it, but isnt flaming not allowed?) whenever there's any kind of disagreement.

I also think EVERYONE, be it a mod, admin, oldbie or newbie, should be subject to the same rules....which is obviously not the case at the time being.

[face_plain]

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Geez. I'm not some horrible monster. This is a scare even worse than Anthrax.

I appreciate all of you that offer constructive criticism and facts above all else. You're the heros that truely want to help the JC. You're the ones I listen to.

6. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    I don't think you're a horrible monster, and I hope you thought my criticism was constructive.

But you go way over the line a lot of the time. Maybe you don't even realize it, and that's the problem.

Just make a conscious effort to change, newphew.

7. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I already have, and I admit that there are times where I waiver. Right now, I'm hearing mixed things. Some mods think I have never stepped over the line, some members think I am going to eat them while they sleep.

Ugh. STUPID NOT-REAL INTERNET LIFESTYLE!

8. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    STUPID NOT-REAL INTERNET LIFESTYLE!

Hear, hear!

9. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I'd say there are instances when you act unduly hostile to people, PB. And you can be incredibly cocky.

You are a good mod though, from a technical point of view. You deal with trolls, spam and redundancy very effectively indeed. However, when it comes to flaming, you sometimes fight fire with fire, which is probably not the best thing to do. ;)

I don't want to patronise you, PB, because I know that you are incredibly smart, but just try to work on your people skills. :p

10. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I've never had personal run-ins with Preacherboy, really.

Hell, I'm a lot like the guy. Sarcams and wit are my weapons, and I weild them brutally and heavily. Some people are too damned sensitive, and some people are right on the mark.

Honestly, I'd never make it as a mod. Take that as you will.

However, i'd just like to say one thing:

tonyf was demoted for less than this. [face_plain]

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    NathanDahlin...
    "I believe that we're all in agreement that moderators should act in a respectful and courteous manner towards the members and the other moderators."

Yes. A good point which should be reiterated every now and then. But an even better one is the flipside - that members should act in a respectful and courteous manner towards the mods as well as other members. The latter point often gets lost, especially when some member has a gripe against a particular mod.

"I've received so many complaints about the behavior of PreacherBoy, that I've decided to gauge your opinions."

"Is PreacherBoy's behavior unacceptable for a moderator of his position?"
    No. The only real recent things I've seen Preacherboy handle rather forcefully are trolls. And that's a good thing in my book. And he always seems to do so in a humorous manner, making them look like a bodily orifice for the excretory system. Which I suppose some people may take issue with. It's always good to have a bad cop around for the times when you have to play "good cop, bad cop."

"If so, does this behavior warrant a demotion from his current position?"
    No. Maybe a stern talking-to to tone things down for a while.

12. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    Hooray for deleting posts as well.

13. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I Agree With Jedi Greg Maddux and OBI-WAN69!!!

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I think this thread is a terrible idea, for the same reasons I'm opposed to the idea that Mods get 'elected' periodically.

Is moderating a popularity contest?

No.

You will never be able to get an accurate 'gauge' of how PreacherBoy is regarded by posting a thread like this. Many of the people who have posted couldn't care less and are probably voting to keep PBoy around because others want to see him go. Similarly, people are voting to get rid of him because of past angst.

Personally, I think PBoy is a complete tool but that is meaningless of itself. So what? I think many people here are tools and I'm sure the feeling is reciprocated.

I think this is a decision that NathanDahlin is going to have to make all by himself as head Admin using his own judgement.

15. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    >So? I believe other memeber have said the same stuff to JM22 and not been banned.<

Other members, who? Like you?

Anyway, Mods Lead by Example, AA!!!

You are A MOD's Best friend, thus he would be very Lient towards you!

16. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    PB has banned me more then once...

17. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    PreacherBoy's conduct has certainly not been up to par with the level of professionalty and maturity any organization would want to transmit of it's members. A high-profile group such as this needs a qualified, skilled, persentable staff to impress others, and save it's image in the public mindset. That was the reasoning behind the tonyf fiasco, and now it appears as PB is following in his footsteps.

First of all, let me state that this should not have been brought out into the open public like this. I had full faith that our moderation staff was capable of deliberating the faith of one of its own with the same capability that they transact the other normal affairs of the JC state. The JC populace has as much role in determining-or even providing rudimentary insight-in the fate of moderators as it has in deciding the fate of banned members in a jury-style arrangement. I feel that this sets a dangerous precedent-albeit the circumstances are somewhat extraordinary.

PreacherBoy is by no means a perfect being-no one is. Certainly, his conduct is far outside the norms and standards I would uphold if I were running an operation such as Tf.n; and certainly, to say that improvement is needed in some regards is an understatement of the matter at hand. PreacherBoy has indeed had a uniquely controversial stint as a moderator on the Jedi Council, beginning with the incredible Slackergate fiasco, and graduating over time with smaller indidents to the present day.

But, I can and will say this: PreacherBoy's tactics are neither subtle nor pretty. They are indeed crude, open, and rather unforgiving. His personal disposition to others does not in the least bit assist him in that regard. However, since the very beginning, it is my opinion that he has consistently acted for the common good of the JC at large. He doesn't take any crap, and he gets the job done.

Certainly, in the eyes of many, whatever happened last night might be seen as the proverbial "Straw that broke the camel's back." If that is indeed the case: so let it be written, so let it be done. However, everyone deserves a second chance. Hard work, self-improvement, and rededication to a goal can prove that wrongs can be forgiven, amends can be made. Certainly, PreacherBoy's record of moderation outside of the limelight grants him that chance.

As a person, I can honestly say that I do not like PreacherBoy. I don't hate the man, but I am by no means a buddy to him-and perhaps that is for the best. But, I do know he can get the job done that has to be done every day here on the JC. It is a true shame that the constant public attention catches him while he is "Asleep at the wheel."

Should the man be demoted? No. But, it would be for the best that the man took a time in self-imposed exile to take a good, long look at his situation and behavior. I can support him now, but my capacity for forgiveness has just about run its course. If he is involved in another high-profile event, I do believe it would be for the best-if only in a business sense-that the JC wipe their hands clean of a person that has continually proven a problem for the board's reputation.

18. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Moderators do not lead. That's like saying the police lead the country.

Easy on the bold text Wattowatta

19. Servings per Container

Servings per Container Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000
    This thread is meaningless.

If I am to take this thread seriously then it is going to decide whether or not Preacherboy stays here. If that was the case then I would at least expect to see what the recent charge against him was. Are the admins going to make their decision based on how many people don't like him? When was the last time that a member was banned by way of a vote of normal members in communications? Those things haven't happened, and hopefully all these opinions add up to squat. If not, then we have even more admins then I imagined...

Any problems within the adminship should be HANDLED by the adminship. There is a place for deciding who get "teh powers" and people who decide. Wattowatta isn't one those people, and neither am I. Get all of yourselves together, look at the issue(which, again I remind you wasn't included in the initial post), and do the job you're supposed to do. All this thread encourages is mud throwing and long speaches made by people without authority, and some even without common sense.

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Just curious, does PreacherBoy want to stay a mod? If so, why? :)

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Barns is correct, IMO.

Really, those who take part in a community must lead themselves. Mods cannot and should not be expected to lead TF.N to "the promised land."

That goal has to come from the members themselves.

Respect is not one-sided against mods only. It must be given on both sides. And it must be given on both sides unconditionally, on each occurance. Weigh each post on its own merits or lack of, not the sum total of a poster's history on TF.N. [face_plain]

22. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

In all fairness, I have seen some good stuff of late, and his moderating skills in general shouldn't come into question. However.

Is PreacherBoy's behavior unacceptable for a moderator of his position?
    Yes. I have seen him break the rules multiple times and suffer no consequences. This is not right.

If so, does this behavior warrant a demotion from his current position?
    Yes. He breaks the rules.

23. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    havent had many run-ins with him, but i dont like him

so- yes, from what ive seen, his conduct is unbecoming

should he be demoted? yes. He's made a lot of mistakes in the past, give someone who can do the job better, the colors

24. Spermatic_Fascia

Spermatic_Fascia Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2001
    What did PB do now?

PB lets me post here so I don't have a problem with him. What I do not like is that a certain administrator banned me simply because he does not like me. I didn't break any rules. He just doesn't like me, so I'm banned. What a jerk.

:mad:

25. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    PB has done some stupid things, no doubt about it. Most of those things are in the past--if the administration didn't demote him then, they have no reason to do it now.

He can be mean sometimes. But he doesn't do it for no reason. People usually start things with him for his track record or because they hold grudges. He has the right to be callous to people who are acting like asses. Come one people, it's the internet.

MAH GAWD, HE YELLED AT ME. MAH GAWD, I'M CRYING. I'M UPSET SOMEONE I DON'T EVEN KNOW AND WILL NEVER MEET CALLED ME AN IDIOT. MAH GAWD.

Grow up, get a life too.

He's a good moderator. He gets the job done. Better than some other mods, may I add.

And then there's the forum he is assigned to moderate- Games. He puts up with our crap better than any mod lets us do. Further, he understands what is going on there and lets us do what he thinks we should be allowed to do. You demote him, there is nobody to moderate games that has a clue what's going on there. Hey, make me or Bib or AA an admin! HAHAHAHAHA

Don't think I'm biased either. He's banned me two or three times and called me MEAN NAMES MAH GAWD. I deserved it. Which is a thing many people in this thread don't understand. People he yells at deserve it, and because of it many of them don't repeat their actions.

Let this be the last thread complaining about him. I'm really sick of nearly every thread in this forum that is even remotely related to the moderators degenerate into some PB bash party. Get some lives, FOR GAWD'S SAKE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.