main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Obi-Wan Kenobi in VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightWax, May 22, 2014.

?

How should Episode VII Handle Obi Wan?

1. CGI Sir Alec Guinness

20 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Ewan McGregor

117 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Voice Only (sound-alike)

28 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Not in the film.

111 vote(s)
    39.1%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    We all know Sir Alec Guinness won't be able to reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi. So if he does appear as a ghost in Episode VII, how would you like them to handle it?

2. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'll go for Ewan or no Obi-Wan at all. CGI'ing Sir Alec would be disrespectful (after all George Lucas specifically cast him in ESB and ROTJ, no substitutes).

3. RandomGuardian

RandomGuardian Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    I wouldn't be bothered whether he was younger or older, and I don't think Obi-Wan would mind very much either way.

4. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    Maybe Ewan only doing The Voice.

5. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm kind of Force Ghost-ed out. The ending of RotJ was a good send-off for Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin; no need for us to see them again (except maybe Anakin under some extreme Prophecy-bending twist).

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to agree with this. Extreme situations only. If Obi-Wan had to appear I'd hope he looks like he did in the OT but wouldn't be surprised if they made him look like he did the PT. Or just use the voice.

7. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    I was always for this idea, that, to me, the ghosts of Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin dematerialized completely from that world as their work was now complete, Yoda knowing the fate of the Jedi was in good hands and that Anakin and Obi-Wan had now finally found peace; that there appearance to Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi (for which only Luke is able to see them evidently) was their last appearance to him. And that's it. Now they are gone. It preserves their sanctity and mystery and gives them a proper conclusion that strengthens their ultimate purpose. To me, that is the best outcome in regards to the force ghosts.

8. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    If he'd appear as voice only, James Arnold Taylor could do the job too. He was terrific in Clone Wars. But I'm not keen about Obi-Wan at all....

DarthBreezy likes this.
  9. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ewan. And no daughters. I'm sure they can come up with new characters without ruining old ones.

10. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    They should have Luke explain that Obi-Wan eventually faded away, and not have him at all. Same with Yoda or any other old Jedi.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Episode VII, staring Meryl Streep as the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    "Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film"
    [​IMG]

13. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Ewan physically appearing would be too jarring and would polarize fans, even in aged makeup. If Obi-Wan has a role in the movie at all, I hope that at most it's Ewan providing the disembodied voice we heard in ANH and ESB.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think obi has done his job. i don't think any spirits need to appear. luke has had 30 years to commune with them.

15. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    By 30 years after ROTJ I would like to think that Luke would of rebuilt the Jedi Order, fully mastered the force, and no longer needed the guidance of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin. But if one or any of them have to appear Ewan should come back to play Obi-Wan, Hayden as Anakin, and a CGI Yoda voiced by Frank Oz. It's easily justified by just explaining that as force ghosts they have the ability to appear how ever they want as they looked throughout their life. Plus if Ewan does come back I'd like to think the chances of getting an Obi-Wan spin off film would increase.

Odolwa likes this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I get the feeling Obi-wan will not be in EP7.....

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  17. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Ewan or nothing

18. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Ewan or you lose

darth_mccartney likes this.
  19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I thought Ewan McGregor was a great Obi-Wan, and I would be glad to see him return in a spinoff, but we hear Alec Guiness as the ghost in IV and see him in V and VI. It's three movies too late to start nominating McGregor for ghost-hood. If it is absolutely essential that Obi-Wan's ghost appear in VII, well then ILM is just gonna have to do their utmost to match Guiness.

But of the three ROTJ Force ghosts, Obi-Wan is the least essential. Yoda can report on things that happened 800+ years before the other two were even alive, and Anakin can report on Sith mysteries or some kind of top secret Chosen-One-eyes-only Force insight. Solving the problems that come with a Ben ghost, while humanly possible, doesn't seem worth it.

Chained Prometheus and Bob Octa like this.
  20. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Ideally not in the film, but age up Ewan if you must.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Luke should just mention Obi-Wan. Imo he shouldn't appear because it's time for Luke to shine as the elder Jedi Master.

22. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Ewan (not aged - that would look silly and nothing like Alec Guiness) or not at all

23. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    I loved Ewan as Obi-Wan (and prefer that version), so a part of me is tempted with any excuse to bring him back to the role, but I echo the others who say that in the end it doesn't seem that a ghost Obi-Wan is necessary or appropriate to begin with. So let him be.

That said, Ewan as Obi-Wan in one of those fan proposed "lost adventures" set between Ep 3 and 4 would be great.

Pensivia and rdhight like this.
  24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Yes. I really liked the "Detective Kenobi" plot thread in AOTC, and the Clone Wars used him in a good undercover investigation story. McGregor as not-quite-so-Old Ben forced to solve some dark mystery could be great.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Much as I adore Ewan as Obi-Wan, I think it's probably best not to have the character in this film. I also thought SAG was great as old Ben, and to me it would seem inappropriate and distracting to create a CGI version of him. And I don't like discontinuity in character representations (not a fan of young Anakin ghost replacement in ROTJ, for ex), so since SAG isn't available, the character shouldn't appear (though at least mentioning/referring to him would be nice). Definitely against aging Ewan--we don't need two competing versions of old Ben! Save Ewan for a spinoff movie set sometime between ROTS and ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.