main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Obi-Wan Kenobi in VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightWax, May 22, 2014.

?

How should Episode VII Handle Obi Wan?

1. CGI Sir Alec Guinness

20 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Ewan McGregor

117 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Voice Only (sound-alike)

28 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Not in the film.

111 vote(s)
    39.1%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke only knew Obi-Wan as his older self. It would be too weird to see Luke interacting with younger Obi-Wan imo.

2. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya, Deal with it.

Force Smuggler Again, Its not like they would put TPM Ewan in there, They could make him look older, This really wouldn't be an issue.

3. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think Ewan did a superb job of playing Obi-Wan in the PT.With the right make up, I think he'd be a great Ghost as well.

C Creepio, Valairy Scot and Odolwa like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Obi-Wan only appeared to the next generation that might work.................

5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    No thanks.

I don't dislike Ewan, but come on, people. Ewan as Obi-Wan's Force ghost is freakin ridiculous.

6. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya, The guy who played Obi-wan for 3 entire movies as the ghost of obi wan (With some Make up) is out of control...Sigh.

Veloz and markdeez like this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    He played him when he was twenty years younger in those three movies.

It's not worth bringing him back or trying to pass him off as looking like Alec when you can just use Yoda instead.

Grand_Moff_Jawa and Dewback like this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Alec Guiness is Obi-Wan Kenobi when the OT ended. If they want to keep continuity from OT to ST then its natural that his is the likeness that keeps that continuity. How they achieve it is another thing.

9. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    The appearance of Obi-Wan's Force ghost is bound to be short and limited to standing, maybe walking, and talking and that makes it the perfect opportunity to CGI Alec Guiness in the movie. Ewan doesn't even sound like Alec, so it's better to get someone who does to voice the character.

Dewback likes this.
  10. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Then it will be even weirder because it's no longer Alec Guiness now too. It's a 3rd Obi-Wan guy doing the voice, with a non-actor as the CGI puppet.

No thanks. :( Just leave him dead, let Obi-Wan 'pass on.'

11. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    If the story calls for the appearance of Obi-Wan's Force ghost the right thing to do would be to CGI Alec Guiness... I don't want them to change an Obi-Wan Force ghost appearance to one of Yoda because Obi-Wan was always Luke's counselor. I want the best story possible and if it needs Obi-Wan back then it'd be awesome if Alec Guiness shows up even in CGI form. Ewan's appearance would only be justified if it is in a hologram of young Obi.

Dewback likes this.
  12. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Like TheFoot said, It wouldn't be Alec, Would be a 3rd obi-wan.
    And everyone also complains how star wars used too much cgi, Now they should cgi a person who passed away and give him someone else's voice. That seems like a horrible idea. People should know Ewan as Obi-wan by now, And they could age him up. Nostalgia is nice and all, But lets not get carried away.

Veloz likes this.
  13. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Tell that to the people who CGI'd a young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy or those who CGI'd young Arnold in Terminator Salvation, etc...
    CGI should be used as needed. Give me a break...

14. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Was still Jeff bridges though, Hes not dead. And CGI Arnold didn't talk and looked pretty bad.

15. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998

[​IMG]

16. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    The main reason I was okay with Bridges in Tron is because that was literally a CG universe...made with polygons and unreal-looking things. So it kind of fit...even if you thought his animation looked strange....it kind of fit because it was SUPPOSED to be rendered polygons...a CGI face...literally in the film.

I'm not OK with bringing actors back from the dead to star in new movies. First off it's an insult to new actors....saying they could never replace the old ones. And also it's just....how do you even get the RIGHTS to do such a thing with a dead person? Family members? There have to be all sorts of ethical issues...

Odolwa likes this.
  17. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Ok, so besides the fact that it makes absolutely no sense to make Ewan a force ghost in the ST, you think its insulting for the younger actors to be replaced by the likeness of the actors they already replaced?

19. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    It makes sense to me, Its not like they would be pulling some random actor to play him, He's been Obi-wan more then alec, They could easily age him also. And it would be nowhere near as bad as them putting Hayden in, Yet they did that. Only way Alec would make sense is if they are going to have him stand there silently like the end of ROTJ, Otherwise using a dead actor and having to put someone elses voice on him doesn't make sense and is a insult to him. Or just not have Obi-wan altogether and have yoda or anakin, But then we would have Hayden rage the same way.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    If anyone appears as a force ghost it will be Luke...after/if he dies.

21. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    And lando.

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say do both (CGI Alec and Ewan), and here's my idea on how: Force Ghosts appear to people the way that person expects to see them. Luke is familiar with old Obi-Wan so he sees Old Obi-wan as a force ghost. The new hero can see Obi-wan as the younger version (Ewan) because that is what he is expected to see. There probably isn't that many photos or videos of older Obi-Wan (since he was in hiding) so the new hero probably has only seen the stuff from the Clone Wars times, thus when he sees force ghost Obi he sees what his mind is going to take as familiar (Ewan). Maybe include a scene where Luke and the new hero are talking to force ghost Obi and briefly show a difference of perspective by quickly going back and forth between the old and young *eventually settling on the younger as the new hero takes over the franchise*
    Now how that fits into Hayden!Force ghost I have no freaking idea. Maybe Anakin refused to be a force ghost as anybody but his old self in order to distance himself from his Darth Vader persona? IDK
    Just my idea.

Valairy Scot and Odolwa like this.
  23. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    The force ghosts USED to make sense. I used to think of this way: the spirits could only come to a person that knew them personally...and had a connection with the force. This would explain why we have Obi-Wan and Yoda appearing to Luke, but nobody else. Only he can see them.

But then when they plopped young Anakin into ROTJ, it just messed up all that beautiful common-sense. Now people are saying force ghosts can morph...they change based on who is looking at them. I mean it really did just open a can of worms for the fans, and confused everyone.

I'm sad that this happened, and still like to think of the ghosts the old way. They shouldn't show up and start teaching new Jedi stuff. That personal connection would be gone. It would mean way less and just...be even more confusing to me.

rdhight and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Its kinda funny to think that one single edit *that George probably didn't even think would matter that much* can totally mess up almost all we thought we knew about Force ghosts.

TheFoot likes this.
  25. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Both of whom are still living actors. Alec has passed on and should not have his likeness used in this way. Respect the man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.