main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Rate the Title "The Last Jedi"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Jan 23, 2017.

?

On a scale from 1--10, how do you rate The Last Jedi as a title?

1. 10

14.6%
  2. 9

22.1%
  3. 8

27.7%
  4. 7

9.9%
  5. 6

9.9%
  6. 5

5.9%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

3.2%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1

4.0%
  1. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I clicked 1.

Again. I just don't like that the Title The Last Jedi makes it sound like there wont be any more Jedi going forward. We had Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Then between the Trilogies, the clock is reset, with Luke's new fledgling Jedi order being destroyed, and Luke going into hiding. Then we continue with Episode VII: The Force Awakens; with new Character, Force sensitive Rey, finding Luke, and bringing him back into the fold. Now we continue with Episode VIII: The Last Jedi; which implies that Luke fails again, with a new attempt to bring back a fully functioning Jedi Order. What does this leave for the Episode IX Title? Episode IX: The Jedi Return again? o_O

nightangel and Fandalorian like this.
  2. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    like the title rated it a 10 its a very logical one with what we have seen from tfa

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  4. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Sounds ominous.

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Surprise! The people who hate everything still hate everything. ;)

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

Ack!!! Say it ain't so!!!!!!!! lol

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'd have given it a '10' if it were within context. I give it a '8' as a placeholder.

It has pros and cons. This is the ACT II, so it needs to give a bleak impression and 'The Last Jedi' meets that criteria, although 'Jedi' is inherently positive. Include me as one who advocates the 'dark side' deserving a turn in the title pantheon. Since we were given Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes Back, I half expected an offering to the mystical side of the secular Empire.

Now we're back to 'Jedi' even after Anakin's return and Luke's advent as the consummate Jedi Knight, a title I sorely miss. In the end I'm counting on the fact that the title is the best given the story that ends up on the screen.

8. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    I'm not going to sugar coat this one.

I think it is a perfect title and therefore, I will score it 10/10.

9. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I give it a solid seven. Personally I would have preferred a pulpier title Lucas might have used like "Fear the First Order" or something.

[​IMG]

Still "The Last Jedi" is good. It's simple and to the point, although I'd rather the word "Jedi" hadn't been repeated especially so close following "Return of the Jedi." However the title does tell us that Luke will be a major character in the film so that's a positive.

dragonchic, Dra--- and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait, the word Jedi was used in Return of the Jedi? Wasn't aware of that. Interesting.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    5/10. Gets the job done, but doesn't really grab me or stand out all that much.

12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    "The Force Awakens the Last Jedi...." Then what happens? Another cliffhanger.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I do like your title, but I think now that we're at 8 films and counting, more titles with Jedi in them make perfect sense.

I like The Last Jedi more than Return of the Jedi too.

plaidphoenix and Gigoran Monk like this.
  14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Return of the Jedi is a great title in context. It's layered with meaning, simple complexity and completes Vader/Anakin's arc: Jedi in the singular and plural form. It also references the last stage of the mono-myth in line with fantasies like Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It serves its purpose well, but conceding that it's not a flashy title. It's more dignified and appropriate in that way.

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I mostly like Return of the Jedi because it's akin to Return of the King. No other reason.

Immortiss likes this.
  16. Fandalorian

Fandalorian Jedi Master star 3

Apr 18, 2015
    Surprise! dumbing it down for a wide audience continues to work. Coming soon.

Star Wars: 3D
    Star Wars: Revelations
    Star Wars: The Beginning
    Star Wars: Resurrection
    Star Wars: The Next One

At least we still have the anthologies for originality.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    How is a title using an in-universe nerd term "dumbing down?"

If it was called "The Last Warrior," I could see your point. But it's not. So you have no point.

Immortiss likes this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, I really don’t like it. It feels…creatively bankrupt, and sounds kinda like your typical dramatic American blockbuster movie title about a cool oriental story.
    It’s also emphasizing on the OT rehash aspect and the bleakness of the ST when two movies after Return of the Jedi we have The Last Jedi (that return didn’t last long...:( ).

Fandalorian and starocean90 like this.
  19. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    But for how long? Who will teach our young ones?
    This ST is already starting to undermine the OT. Yes it is still a Skywalker Saga, but these new movie are resetting who Return of the Jedi did. You can look at ROTJ as Anakin coming back to the Jedi, but Luke started to rebuild the order, then it is destroyed and that is it? No way. If it is revealed that his nephew was his first student, then that is just silly in my opinion as the timeline would allow Luke to train at least two others proficiently enough so they could train others.
    That being said, I still have faith in Johnson.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Return of the Jedi refered to Luke. "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be."

Luke tried to establish a new order, but Kylo killed everyone. But nothing has changed in the sense that Luke was the last Jedi at the end of ROTJ. He still is. We just witness the true rebirth on screen.

nightangel likes this.
  21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    How does "Return of the Jedi" refer to Luke? From--and to--where exactly has he "returned?" I guess he returned to Tattooine, and then he returned to Dagobah. And he also returned to the cockpit of his X-wing, and in the end he returned to Endor, but...I guess I'm confused because it seems weird for the title to be about Luke returning to those places when it wasn't really clear if he was a Jedi in the first place.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Dumbing down in commercial entertainment is a hilariously ironic idea. Let me guess, "A New Hope" and "Attack of the Clones" are for SW intellectuals. [face_clown]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It's the religion of the Jedi that returns to prominence in the war against the Sith. And Luke becomes a Jedi.

Sarge likes this.
  24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I gave it a 8/10 and despite that it clearly stands for Luke as the last Jedi, it is very open regarding the future. As someone mentioned, it even plays with Luke's failure, if he is the last Jedi and there are no more after him. Even Rey as a single new Jedi won't solve the problem, he only shifts his own failure to another person. So we will see, if Luke really manages to leave a lasting legacy. [face_dunno]

themoth and Darth Smurf like this.
  25. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Well, it's not Luke's fault that Order 66 happened and Vader hunted the survivors. He did the best he could given the circumstances. But yes, I hope to see the beginnings of a new Jedi order by the end of the trilogy.

Darth Smurf and nightangel like this.