main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Rate the Trailer

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Nov 29, 2014.

?

Rate the trailer

1. I love it!

63.7%
  2. I like it.

23.3%
  3. I don't love or hate it. I'm ambivalent. It's ok. It may or may not grow on me. I'm in the middle.

8.2%
  4. I don't like it.

4.1%
  5. I hate it!

0.7%
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, you see it just didn't to me. I was too put off by the goofy way Boyega popped up at the start, followed by the droid's comic racing around and the cheesey voice over to feel much tension. Perhaps if they had started with the atmospheric footage of the Sith in the woods to build the mood a little more and then shown the terrifying storm troopers, I would have felt it more. Also, Williams' music just didn't build much tension for me.

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I like it, it was just enough to grasp the attention, bring you back in the classic feel of a Star Wars movie, and leaves you with mystery and excitement.

Am I the only one who found the voice over alittle cheesy though?

3. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    No, see post above yours. It isn't just that it is cheesey; it is also too similar to the voiceover in the Star Trek into Darkness trailers for my liking.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I haven't seen the Stark Trek trailers. But, to be completely honest, I don't understand why some people think it is cheesy.

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The Dark Side and the Light." To me it seems like a literal description of what is happening, there isn't that much room for cheese. I don't mean to say your wrong or anything, I just don't understand where your coming from.

5. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Dra--- (and everyone else), one thing that is interesting to consider is that everyone on this particular board, by its very nature, is following spoilers. Therefore, we think we at least partially understand the context in which Boyega pops up at the start, looking scared.

I am wondering how casual fans, who have not been following the spoilers at all, might be reactingto the trailer and interpreting what they see. For instance, if they see a stormtrooper popping up, looking scared, his helmet missing, they might naturalllyassume the rebels, or even Luke himself, are on his trail and that he is part of the nearly-vanquished Empire, which will be a very different reading from ours.

6. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Perhaps "melodramatic" is a more precise term than cheesey.

7. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    The voiceover was similar to a lot of things. Seems like every other person playing a fantasy villain is doing a version of that voice and the dialogue was as vanilla as you can get.

Remember it's subject to change, VO parts can be rerecorded or altered, mastered different ways. That dialogue may not even be in the film. I'm sure the people making these hear what we do.

And it may not matter much, say if the Serkis character dies early or is just some evil Sith ghost with a brief appearance.

8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Good question, and something I've been wondering about.

This is purely anecdotal but my kids (who aren't into spoilers and only know that the guy from Attack the Block will be in SW) didn't really seem to try to figure out that shot. To them it was just a mild jumpscare that grabbed their attention; the rest of the trailer was what they talked about.

Echo Base likes this.
  9. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    To add on to my post above, I also think that voice is of the few cases where I'd say they're better off being a bit cliche if they need to. More so if it's a CG character that at least looks unique. I'd rather have a standard 'evil old English villain voice' than something absurdly out of place just for the sake of it.

I imagine it's pretty hard to sound like an evil old guy without sounding like somebody, so I'm not making it out to be easy.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  10. NoSuchThingAsLuck

NoSuchThingAsLuck Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    It was perfection.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    I loved it, it did something that teasers/trailers haven't done for me in a long time: genuinely tease the movie. After most trailers you just think, "oh...so that's the whole movie...ok." TFA teaser reminds me a lot of my favorite trailer ever:

You just think WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

jedinightwing and Dra--- like this.
  12. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    It teased me beyond words. I don't know where the plot is going. For that, the teaser was great.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Nice. Even has a shot of Darth Vader in red underpants.

jedinightwing and Dra--- like this.
  14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    81 love it to 1 hate it?

The trailer seems to be a clear hit.

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Surely there's more than circa 82 people on this site? Perhaps people are more ambivalent than we thought?

16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

There is zero context for the voice. For all we know the main baddie of episode VII might just have been slain, and the real baddie of the ST gives this speech to the hero, with dark brooding music.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Right? Who cares about mainstream tastes? It's Disney's job to worry about that, not mine. :p

edit: Oh, and I guess I "liked it (but maybe closer to 'It's ok' than "I loved it!')" It didn't make me want to see the film any more than I already did, but then, I already did really, really want to see it.

Either a first look at Luke, or the idea that I was looking at any Sky-Solo's, would have left me firmly in the "loved it" group, I'm certain.

18. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Loved it. First live-action Star Wars footage in over 8 years and it did not disappoint. Left me wanting more, without giving away anything. The perfect teaser in my opinion.

19. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Or people just haven't voted in this particular poll?

As a very rough benchmark, I checked out the old teaser thread. It had 280 votes over 300 pages. This thread is approaching half that amount in only 3 pages.

20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This thread should probably be moved to top of the list to ensure all posters see it...

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I thought it was a fun little trailer. Being a year out, they weren't going to show much and frankly I thought it at least implied more then I expected. I was honestly expecting something more like the Interstellar teaser trailer where they basically showed nothing or even explained anything other then a movie about space exploration called "Interstellar" was coming out in a year.

I thought it was well done overall.

Dra--- and Darth PJ like this.
  22. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Teaser has me so pumped!

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... I was actually expecting to see less. I certainly wasn't banking on anything with big effects shot in them.