main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll : Should the X-Wing be replaced ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rhyoth, Jan 13, 2018.

?

Should the Resistance replace X-Wing with a new model of fighters ?

1. Yes, time for the Resistance to renew its fleet !

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Yes, but Poe still gets to pilot a "relic" X-Wing.

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. No, X-Wing should stay in service forever !

29 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    As if their 'de-escalation pipe-dream' was actually possible. Morons. Then again, as I mentioned before it's a convenient excuse to be lazy.

It's about the Imperial aesthetic....The Stormtroopers, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers were kept the same more or less because they're similar to Imperial; The TIE Silencer actually breaks away. But only barely.

But this is something I wish they could get one of the PT or even the original OT guys back for.

If it's not barely upgraded (FO TIE/A-wing/X-Wing/MC85/Bunkerbuster), it's something ridiculously plain or unoriginal (Resistance transport/bomber/FO Stormtrooper Transport/FO Dreadnought/DJ's ship or the M6 which is stated in the ICS as to having actual AT-AT legs attached to it; what, they couldn't afford to make new legs?)

But anyway, no, the X-Wing had its golden age. Time for a new iconic good guy Starfighter, maybe up to Poe's specifications.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I expect they will take every opportunity to eliminate anything from the "Old Star Wars" era every chance they get. Apparently all they really wanted was the name anyway. It wouldn't surprise me to see lightsabers gone from the next movie.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    God, y'know I can actually picture that.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the X-Wing is replace what letter of the alphabet will replace it? No seriously. Which letters are left?

5. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    You think 30 years after the OT, they'd create more modern vehicles but there's not much of a difference with what we have here. I always thought something similar to the Legacy comics X-83 TwinTails would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    according to the visual dictionary Black Squadron went off on some mission before the D'Qar evacuation which I pretty sure is just so JJ can have his buddy GG back in an x-wing pilot seat for 9.

So yeah I guess there are some x-wings still out there and I imagine they'll find a spare for Poe. Rey knows where to find one of course!

7. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    1. Do you need some pepper with that salt?

2. Either they’re not innovating enough or they’re “getting rid of everything old”. Pick one, people.

8. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    I'm quite consistent with my critique of both ST movies. There is no need to destroy the old, to bring in new elements. My argument is based on the premise that Star Wars doesn't need to be fixed, and continuing the story should fit into the same universe. I don't believe you have to damage or completely eliminate what made Star Wars, Star Wars. The new movies (TLJ more so than TFA) don't fit into a GFFA in a multitude of ways.

MasterPrince713 and Darth Smurf like this.
  9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Again, to YOU! Many of us feel they fit very, very well. Opinions. We all have them.

10. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    But why the need to eliminate so much of what came before? Why kill off every character from the previous movies? Why completely change the personalities of ALL those characters and turn them in to weak, pathetic, failures, before killing them off? Why end the idea of having to devote at least some time and have some instruction on the Force before being able to really manipulate it? There is another movie yet to come and maybe they can get back on course, but this idea that completely changing every aspect where the previous movies left off to go in an entirely new direction with every movie isn't really what Star Wars has been.

The idea of every movie in a series doing something completely new and going in wildly different directions is what you expect from Star Trek, not Star Wars. Star Wars had been a cohesive linear story that followed a logical course. Like I said maybe the last movie will somehow tie the ST back into the saga in an overall cohesive story. I understand the motivation of trying to push the envelope of expectations, but that isn't necessarily a good thing when your talking about something so well established as Star Wars. Please understand what I'm saying here. I'm not saying the movies were bad, but that they (TLJ mostly) don't fit into Star Wars in too many aspects.

11. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    See, I don;t see it that way at all. I could argue point for point with you as I have with many people on this board. ANd I won;t change your mind, and you won;t change mine. I think we just have to acknowledge that we have different perspectives here.

But that is YOUR perspective. Not everyone shares it. Certainly I do not.

I understand that you see it that way, and that's fair enough. I think these movies fit into the Star Wars story I love perfectly. I love them. YLJ is my third favorite, and TFA my fourth.

12. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    Neither of these things are true. Luke, Leia, and Han were all very believable evolutions of the characters. Luke in particular isn’t a failure; he practically becomes a religious figure in the Galaxy.

When was this an idea? We were never told it took a bunch of training to accomplish basic use of The Force.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  13. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    Han is dead, walked away from his family and abandoned them.
    Luke is dead, walked away from the entire galaxy and abandoned the fight over a single setback, after defeating the Emperor? Seriously???
    Leia, RIP is going to have to die, and has spent the last two movies desperately searching for her brother to save the day, when previously she was often the one saving everyone else.

As for needing at least some instruction, Anakin couldn't do anything other than have incredible reaction timing before training, Luke couldn't do ANYTHING until being at least briefly being instructed by Obi Wan. Rey goes and performs the Jedi mind trick and out force pulls the lightsaber away from Kylo and all before even being told those skills even exist. Remember Jedi were considered somewhat mystical, and their skills were not really believed by pretty much anyone who had not witnessed them first hand. Qui Gon tells Anakin the training is long and hard, Yoda, says pretty much the same thing to Luke.

14. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    No, this isn’t what happened at all. Han and Leia were together for 25 years, and then the pain of Ben’s betrayal drove them apart. They reconciled, and Han died trying to reunite his family, while playing a key role in saving the Galaxy one last time.

Luke protected the Galaxy and built a new Jedi Order for 25 years. Eventually, though, Ben betrayed him (partly because of Luke’s own mistakes) and ruined everything Luke fought to build. Luke became depressed and withdrawn, but ultimately came back, restored the Jedi Order, and became a symbol of hope for the entire Galaxy all at the same time. That’s not failing.

So she wasn’t a failure. She needed her brother’s help, but that’s not a point against her. Without Leia there would be no Resistance against the First Order for Luke to save.

The central thematic arc of TLJ, in my opinion, is failure, perseverance, and renewal. Luke, Han, and Leia all fail, but they are not failures. They ultimately persevere, learn from their mistakes, and wind up being reshaped into something better.

“Briefly instructed by Obi-wan”. By which you mean Luke has one discussion with Obi-wan about the Force, and then makes an impossible shot more or less blind.

Rey doesn’t do anything remarkable without training. She knows about the Force and the legends about it, and in a moment of desperation puts those legends to the test. It works. I don’t see the problem with that.

But now this thread is being derailed. If you want to discuss your issues with the character writing, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Strongbow likes this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yes. It's time to let old things die.

16. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Dropping the X-Wing entirely would be akin to replacing hot rods with hybrids in an American Graffiti sequel. It doesn't fit.

I was hoping to see Headhunters in the PT, but ARC-170's were a nice touch.

Strongbow likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean they did replace the Y wing with the new bombers.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    keep x-wings until the next trilogy. then have new ships.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    We already have new ships: Reylo and Finn/Poe!

20. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Different kind of ship altogether. The bomber is like a B-17. The Y-Wing is like a Dauntless.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you truly think that? If that were the case Leia would have died in this movie.

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm pretty tired of them. It's not like we don't know there are plenty of other fighter designs out there -- even if you can't come up with some new designs that feel SW-appropriate (you can, like the U-Wing), you could always have the primary squadron be B-Wings or something, just for a change.

I mean, B-Wings are cool.

23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If there are good stories there is no need to replace anything at all. No X-Wings, no Lightsabers, no Sith, no Jedi, .... at the end no Star Wars any more?
    Am I on a SW fansite or what?
    If Disney/LF has no ideas for good stories in the beloved universe they should set the whole franchise on hold until the time they find someone that has a good idea.
    Heck, there is nothing I love more than LS, Jedi, Sith, X-Wings, Tie fighters, Chewie, Deathstars. They can add stuff like BB8 and Porgs and keep it if it works but why the hell should they replace everything?
    Is anyone really interested in Star Wars without any of the Star Wars stuff that made the franchise so great?

Strongbow and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't dislike the X-Wing or anything. But I personally have had my fill of X-Wings. IMO there's more to what makes SW so great besides what kind of starfighters the characters fight in.

And (moreso) TIE fighters. This is a whole generation later, it's time to upgrade. It would also make sense from a technological advancement point of view-especially if Episode IX takes place several years later (as I suspect it might). They actually did that to some extent, but just by putting new controls and colors on basically the same models. I appreciated that at least.

Ultimately though I am quite happy with what new ships/weapons/technology we've been introduced to in the ST so far.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Rhyoth likes this.
  25. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I personally like the gradual advancement we've seen. But I think for IX, we should see some new things introduced (in addition to the old). A new style TIE is probably called for, and I'd love to see the Resistance/Rebels sporting newer T-85's now. I mean, why not? It's no longer a secret war with the FO. But I do want a sense of continuity with what has come before.