main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Julius Vernon, Dec 21, 2017.

1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Just as I assumed, RJ has gave us a very adult take on the GFFA and those of us who grew up with Luke et al proper were not incensed by his story arc in TLJ.

Demsa Aztor and Julius Vernon like this.
  2. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Okay, no real correlation between liking TPM and liking/disliking TLJ it appears (91 respondents, correlation of .024)

TPM Avg. Rating
    1 4.25
    2 7.60
    3 4.14
    4 6.60
    5 7.08
    6 7.27
    7 5.75
    8 4.29
    9 1.50
    10 9.50

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Done, I'm in a rare 46-50 group. My scores were:

TPM: 4
    AOTC: 6
    ROTS: 8
    ANH: 10
    ESB: 10
    ROTJ: 8
    TFA: 9
    TLJ: 8
    RO: 7

There aren't too many like me who were 7-10 when ANH came out. Makes sense that ANH, ESB, and TFA were my highest.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Cool poll! Already took it so I don’t know if this is visible: are fans on the younger side (that would’ve been 9-18) when the PT came out more likely to enjoy them?

5. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    As of 108 respondents: Correlation = 0.854, so still very high.

Avg. Rating
    <20 1.00
    20-25 5.00
    26-30 4.58
    31-35 5.22
    36-40 7.24
    41-45 7.38
    46-50 5.80
    51-55 8.75

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    How many samples in the 46-50 cohort? That one seems an outlier.

ChewieWe'reHome likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I want a complete list of everyone who would vote below a 6 rating for any of the three movies of the OT.

8. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
  9. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Only 5, so I think you're right.

10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am sorry, but 0/10 scores are troll scores. Even if you hate it, 0/10 is just not possible.

11. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015

Someone zeroed TESB. [face_rofl]

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    TPM: 7/10
    AOTC: 6/10
    ROTS: 9/10
    R1: 5/10
    ANH: 10/10
    TESB: 10/10
    ROTJ: 10/10
    TFA: 5/10
    TLJ: 2/10

13. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    TPM: 5/10
    AOTC: 4/10
    ROTS: 6/10
    R1: 3/10
    ANH: 8/10
    ESB: 9/10
    ROTJ: 6/10
    TFA: 7/10
    TLJ: 6/10

14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. Just completely dishonest.

MaciekRS, Ricardo Funes and yanote like this.
  15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It's interesting to see the trending lines here on some of the films, especially the prequels, where you can see a generally more accepting approach towards ROTS after TPM and AOTC get hammered. Also, just out of curiousity because I've actually seen two separate threads on different boards pose a query like this, is there any interesting data on ratings for ages and such between TFA vs TLJ?

16. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

I second the query concerning correlation between TFA & TLJ ratings

17. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Sharing your scores publicly sort of defeats the purpose of this, folks. It influences others. It's like picket signs at the polling booth. Probably best for much later.

And yes... 0 out of 10 scores seems immature to me, too and like trolling. 0 out of 10, IMO, is reserved for stuff like this:

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  18. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Let me explain to you why orange sphere kid's arc in that film was completely justified by certain elements in Baby Geniuses 1.....

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I equate those people in the same realm as those who go into any random Youtube video (i.e. a cat being rescued from a tree) and dislike it. You'll see 3K likes, and maybe 30 dislikes.

Ricardo Funes and BadCane like this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I was seven when ANH came out, and ROTS is my most favorite SW film (ESB nearly ties it, though). I also have a very low opinion of TFA. I realize I may be an outlier in my age group, though.

21. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Interesting. It leads me to some assumptions, as far as age groups. The crux of the hate for TLJ is the characterization of Luke. If you were born after the OT came out, you go into it already knowing who Luke Skywalker is. There is a pre-conceived notion about him as a hero. For those of us who were alive when the movies came out, he was basically a whiny b*tch who did almost nothing but lose for 2/3rds of the trilogy. We don't hold him in as much of a great light. Also, we are old enough to understand that people change. Life affects us in a myriad of ways, some good, some bad. Younger people haven't experienced as many of those ups and downs. That's my take, anyways.

22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’ve always thought that Star Wars has been geared toward the tween age group primarily from ROTJ through present day. They always hope some of the older fans will hang on obviously and many do because we always find things to love but every new film from ROTJ has lost some older fans over decisions. From Ewoks to present day.

Most of us connected with Star Wars somewhere between the age of being a kid through our tweenage years. I’ve rarely met anyone who started from scratch in their 30s. Whatever our entryway point (OT saga, PT saga or now these ST films) your first entryway point connects you in a way where you’ll be more willing to overlook the faults of your entryway saga even as they appear in others. While projecting our increased age and maturity more so on the new offerings. That’s why I’ve always taken issue with each new cry of “Star Wars is too geared towards young people now” and “it’s killed my childhood.” Meanwhile, every single movie has made some new kids’ childhoods and it will be them in the future with the avatar of the characters from their entryway point.

I think once I started thinking about Star Wars on these terms I stopped expecting ANH or TESB around every corner and realized that ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, TFA, TLJ have all been aimed more at a 10 year old’s sensibilities than people 30 or 40 years old questioning the logistics of space magic or explosions in space or why this character isn’t exactly the same as 30 years earlier, or worrying about visuals like how Leia looks trying to survive in space. A lot of Star Wars can seem questionable to an adult mind without first experiencing it as a child. Oh, sure we all still want to travel back to being a kid and in many ways can as we watch but nothing does that more than the saga you start with.

Star Wars when you’re 10 — regardless of your entry point — is a blast and hearing how excited the kids were around me when we left the theatre and were all queuing to exit reminded me of that.

BadCane likes this.
  23. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015

That's a really autruistic way of looking at it. You are so right.

24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Any update?

25. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I just took it.