main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: What is the Name of Daisy Ridley's Character?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Oct 14, 2014.

?

What Will be the Name of Daisy Ridley's Character?

1. Nellith (in tribute to the character created by Leigh Brackett for the ESB draft)

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Kira (in tribute to Kurosawa and the character created by Jim Henson and Frank Oz for the Dark Cryst

59 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Jaina (in honour of the Legacy/EU merchandise)

16 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Fawn (from another rumour that sprung up heaven knows where! :P )

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Other

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't like this[face_sick]

2. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    What's wrong with Daisy Duck now?

Echo Base likes this.
  3. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    [face_not_talking] No love at all for the name Fawn ...

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I would actually go with Fawn out of those choices. I like the idea of something that doesn't immediately sound like an expected Star Wars name.

5. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Not much love for Nellith either. :(

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel like "other" is a dodge, so I went with "Kira" as it seems more likely to me than Nellith, Fawn, or Jaina. Also, we know Lucas has an affection for reusing and swapping around ideas for names, and in one of the old Star Wars drafts he did use the name "Akira", which clearly this bears resemblance to, especially if it is a nod to Kurosawa.

7. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Okay, I didn't know that. That definitely strengthens the case for Kira then.

Maybe he could still use Nellith for one of the other female characters. It would be great to have a Kira, a Nellith and a Montross all in this film to drain the old drafts of every last name and idea! :D

8. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd be really surprised if it doesn't end up being Kira.

9. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    I think Nellith just wouldnt work for a main character. Its not catchy, and for audiences outside the US/UK the "th" really is a problem sometimes. Ja i know Darth Vader but Vader is the important part here and my poor old german mother doesnt need to break her tongue when shes trying to refer to the character by name. ;)

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
  12. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks. That's interesting to learn. (It is a good thing Queen Elizabeth doesn't have imperialist designs to take over Germany, then. ;) )

13. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014

I mean im just assuming here.. but actually i cant tink of any big pop franchise with a main protagonist having a "th" inside the name.. :oops:

14. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Elvida. Elvida Skywalker... Elvida Solo... I like both. (But yes, I voted for Kira)

15. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Besides Elizabeth, most of the real world names I can think of are fairly old fashioned: Kenneth, Judith and so on. I guess there is Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights but obviously that was written in a time before modern commercial concerns.

16. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014
    And Elizabeth and Judith are just transformed by synchronisation here with a simple 't'. Here its: Elisabeth ('Liza' and 'bet', th written but spelled as a normal t); can do that because these are real world names and we are used to them in this form. Something more fictional like Nellith isnt that easily transformable: Nellit?

edit: sorry 'lisa' not 'liza'.. like Lisa Simpson

17. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I know it is not the same thing but they could just call her Nellie or Nell for the majority of the film as a nickname. (In the real world Anglo-sphere, Nellie is a shortened form of Eleanor.)

18. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014
    True that. Any suggestions for Darth? Dartie (DartieDeeTwo).

Echo Base likes this.
  19. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Come to think of it, isn't the name "Bertha" Germanic in origin? How do you pronounce it over there? Is it Bert-a?

20. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014
  21. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks for explaining the pronunciation. Last night, I thought of some more female names containing "th" and they are all fairly old-fashioned and rarely used in the English-speaking world now: Martha, Heather, Agatha, Cynthia, Edith and so on. About the only one I can think of that is still popular is Samantha. Even Dorothy is faily rare now.(

I am not sure if names like Gwyneth still have any popularity in the Anglo-Welsh world.)

EDIT: I just thought of Catherine/Kathryn and Kathleen, which are still very popular and common names.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I can't believe nobody suggested that it might be Kelvin! (or Kelvina?)

23. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    JJ strikes again! :D

24. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014

Catherine/Kathryn/Kathleen would make for an easy transformation though (think 'Katrina'). Kathleen: Kaitlin.

Really problematic are Gwyneth (Gwynet doesnt work), Heather (??), rest would just be transformed with a simple t instead of the 'th', i guess.

Though i have to say i can imagine some problems for the synchronisation process: Catherine: Katrina. Kathleeeeen: Kaitlyn. Well i dont know. Think the tendency might be now to keep the names as they are, because english is of course present as hell today in all western societys.

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Daisy's character is named Heather?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.