main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Poll] What was your favorite duel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Vron, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorpio

Sorpio Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    Definatly Yoda Vs. Darth Sidous! Come on it had the best music Dual of the Fates on it! Plus it was Yoda

2. Antrojedi

Antrojedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    The more that I hear it, the more I think that the new music that John Williams has composed to underscore the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel has surpassed Dual of the Fates. Its just so powerful and dramatic in sound.

3. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Yoda vs Darth Sidious.

4. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    vader vs obi-wan
    my favorite part: anakin sparking and tearing up the OT-style hallway near the start. obi-wan must hav been thinking, "wo! anakins never been this wild and destructive before, and he was pretty reckless to begin with!"

5. Antrojedi

Nov 19, 2002
    Yep. Anakin definitely wasn't holding back. He was going all-out to kill Ob-Wan and its just showed what an underrated fighter Obi-Wan is, the way he managed to parry and block all Anakins strikes.

6. strider24

strider24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    Anakin vs Obi wan was excellent, but IMHO Sidious vs Yoda was the more exciting of the duels. Mace vs Sidious was awesome as well, but the other Jedi were wiped out way too quick, and I was really hoping to see Mace tap into his vapaad style, and finally give us a glimpse of why he is so esteemd as well as feared. Anakin vs Obi started out really intense, especially with the "you will try," comment by Anakin, but I'm not gonna lie, I became way more engrossed by Yoda and Sidious. The music was better, and for me that is the most important factor. Duel of the Fates is by far one of the best aspects of the prequel trilogy.

7. El_Dave

El_Dave Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2005
    Hands down Obi vs. Anakin. It's an incredible fight. it was very well coreographed and the score that plays is brilliant. Somewhat better than Dual of the Fates, although that was worked in pretty good.

8. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    yodas definitely my favorite character, maybe of all time. if they had shown what happened between the lightsaber duel to the destructive force throw fest, then that scene probably would hav gotten my vote too.

9. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Agreed and well put. Anakin vs Obi was the best start of a duel I've seen since Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (the whole stare down and robe removal, Maul iginiting both ends of his saber,etc.)

Something happened after the twirling of sabers and Force Push stalemate between Ani & Obi that I can't put my finger on. IMHO, their duel became more about their enviornment and how many different angles lava could be seen. I realize the importance of their surroundings but it felt like the duel took a back seat to scenery.

The heavyweights on the card were Yoda vs Sidious for me. When the camera cut from their duel it was brutal and abrupt.

10. MASTERANNIE

MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Definitely Anakin vs Obi-Wan...It makes me cry...

11. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    Vader vs. Obi-Wan, definitely!

But I don't think Obi-Wan is holding back; Vader is aggresive, Obi-Wan lets it flow and falls back. It's only natural to him. Remember, the Sith rely on their passion for their strength.

12. jedixesiria

jedixesiria Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Can't the people in charge make a real POLL so we can see the result's?
    Yoda vs The Sith Lord "ROTS"
    OBI WUN & QI GRON vs Mull "eps.1"
    the fight with all the jedi"eps2"

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    My favorite duels

1. Anakin vs Obi-wan
    2. Mace, Kit, Saesee, and Agen vs Palpatine
    3. Obi-wan vs Maul
    4. Dooku vs Anakin (ROTS)
    5. Qui-gon vs Maul (Theed)
    6. Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-wan (ROTS)
    7. Qui-gon and Obi-wan vs Maul
    8. Grievous vs Obi-wan
    9. Yoda vs Dooku
    10. Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)
    11. Yoda vs Sidious
    12. Luke vs Vader (TESB)
    13. Anakin vs Dooku (AOTC)
    14. Obi-wan vs Dooku (AOTC)
    15. Qui-gon vs Maul (Tatooine)
    16. Obi-wan vs Vader
    17. Luke vs Vader (Dagobah)

14. Antrojedi

Nov 19, 2002
    Kit, Saesee and Agen were in a duel?? :p

15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    My favorite duel in ROTS is Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. IMO it is possibly the most emotional lightsaber duel since Luke/Vader in ROTJ.

Runner up would be Yoda vs. Sidious.

16. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Yoda vs. Sidious

17. KathieLee

KathieLee Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    Anakin and Obi Wan; Mace Windu and Sidious; Anakin with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Dooku at the ship in Invisable Hand.

18. MaiyaKenobi

MaiyaKenobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2005
    Hmmmmmm, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. Really, this seems like a no-brainer, considering it's the crucial point of the saga. However, despite the foregoing critism, I have to say I liked all the duels. Ranked from favorite to least:
    1. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin
    2. Yoda vs. Sids
    3. Mace + entourage vs. Sids
    4. Obi-Wan vs. GG
    5. Anakin + Obi-Wan vs. Dooku

I'm biased because I am a major fan of Obi-Wan--he's the wisest, the most compassionate, the most subtle, he keeps his promises, is never arrogant, is patient, thoughtful, and wary, he's a great lightsabre fighter--the greatest Jedi, in point of fact...but I digress. Additionally, I hate Count Dooku, who is a character constructed of cardboard and, in my very humble newbie opinion, overhyped (maybe because I never read the novelisations) and badly acted, a plot-mover more than a character.

My favorite duels of the saga are Duel of the Fates (you can't beat the music or Darth Mauls moves!), Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (both duels), and, of course, Luke's first duel with Vader (still jump out of my seat when Vader's lightsabre reignites halfway through the battle).

I know that this isn't technically a duel, but does anyone else think Obi-Wan was great battling Jango in AOTC? Kamino is my favorite part of that movie (only part where acting rose above barely okay = when Hadyn and Natalie were outa the picture).

Anyways, thanks for checking my post out. This is my first time posting. Hope I am in good form and not messing with forum etiquette or anything.

19. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    From least favorite to favorite...

12. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (TESB) (DAGOBAH)

It's in slow motion and not much to it. So it couldn't rank any higher on the list. The best part about it is the end when Luke sees his face in Vaders helmet. Nice touch.

11. Qui-Gon Jinn vs Darth Maul (TPM) (TATOOINE)

The music was great and it was the first duel of the prequel trilogy. Basically just a taste though. Intense yet over very fast.

10. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs General Grievous (ROTS) (UTAPAU)

I'm only counting the actual part when Grievous used his sabers. Not saying the entire fight wasn't terrific. The duel itself wasn't too bad. It was clear that Grievous didn't really have skills so much as he had mechanical arms that he could use to his advantage. It was cool when he started twirling all of them though.

09. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Tyranus (ROTS) (THE INVISIBLE HAND)

I guess because it was at the start of the film, it loses points for importance. Mainly because Dooku isn't really a huge factor in ROTS. The duel itself was decent enough. Very basic yet intense. The location and commentary by Palpatine made it pretty good too.

08. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader (ANH) (THE DEATH STAR)

It was our first duel. Powerful dialogue. But when compared to the rest which are much more intense, it kinda looks outdated. Especially since now we know that old guys can move fast. But it served its purpose and still does.

07. Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda vs Darth Tyranus (AOTC) (GEONOSIS)

I basically include the entire event as one big duel sequence. Obi-Wan was stage one. He didn't fair so well against the more experienced Tyranus. Stage two was Anakin who held his own. But once again the experience of Tyranus held true. Then came stage three and it was Yoda. I think it was clear that Tyranus probably couldn't handle the speed of Yoda. He was holding his own, but needed to make an exit. Overall I think the Anakin portion could have been filmed better but it was still pretty good.

06. Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, and Saesee Tiin vs Darth Sidious and Anakin Skywalker (ROTS) (CORUSCANT)

I put Anakin in this just because he comes in at the very end and is important in the outcome. The techniques in the duel weren't too stunning though Palpatine's jump towards them with that screech was pretty cool. The importance of the duel is what brings it to number six. Plus we can't forget the nice bits of dialogue at the start and end.

05. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (TESB) (BESPIN)

The drama of the entire thing is great. Plus the music. More wild swings in this than any other duel. Brutal on Luke. Certainly was an upgrade from ANH.

04. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (ROTJ) (THE DEATH STAR II)

I think this is the most emotional duel of the saga. Father and son fighting. Not sure if it's to the death. The music is perfect. This time Luke is a match for Vader. The Emperor cackling adds to it all.

03. Yoda vs Darth Sidious (ROTS) (CORUSCANT)

Exciting and hilarious. The visuals are great and the music is good too. The ultimate duel of the wizards. My only complaint is that it was too short. The dialogue was very quotable. Sidious laughing madly was just too funny in some spots. The guy was drunk with power. Poor Yoda couldn't beat him.

02. Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul (TPM) (NABOO)

It held the number one spot for six years. It basically defined the Jedi Knight vs Sith Lord battles. The doubled bladed lightsaber of Mauls didn't hurt the visuals. Neither did the generator room or the pit. Or Maul being cut in two at the end. Hell, even a villain with a face like Mauls added to everything. Not to mention some of the quick defensive and offensive moves.

01. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader (ROTS) (MUSTAFAR)

Just as good as the above. Only with deeper dialogue, more stunning visuals, and a much more dramatic start and finish. Though I wish it were longer, it still is the

20. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    ya, i gotta admit, when obi-wan and vader stand toe to toe spinning their sabers side to side, you knew it was so serious it was bordering on crazy.

21. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    I have to say the Obi and Qui Gon vs Maul Duel out does "The" Duel for a few reasons.

1. The Obi/Quigon Duel had WAY better choreography. It had rythm and pace to it. This is probably because of the presence of Ray Park. Nick Gillard is a hack.

2. The editing is much better. SO much was cut out of the Obi/Anakin duel it's rediculous. Probably a good third of it was cut out. Not only that but they repeat choreography because they didn't plan out the emotional highs and lows of the choreography. Check out the first bit of fighting. After watching it a couple times you see the same set of moves in about 5 shot. The telltale is this little spin Obiwan does. You'll be stunned. Once again, Nick Gillard is a hack.

3. The cinematography is more memorable. The setting of "the" duel is more memorable but the shots roll just too fast. There are a few exceptions, like the hallway sparks shot. There are just far too many wasted moments in the duel that could have been SOOO dramatic. Like Anakin running along the mechanical arm. Think of this:

Anakin picks up his head and begins to dash for the end of the long walkway as it falls over the waterfall of fire.

He runs furiously with all his might.

[mid distance dolly shot from the side]
    [closeup steady cam shot from the front of anakin]

Anakin nears the end of the arm when he leaps into the air.

[steady cam shot from behind anakin as he jumps off the end of the walkway]

the music goes silent

Anakin lands on the platform, duel of the fates begins to play as he rises. His eyes burn yellow and bleed red as he ignites is blue lightsaber. Behind him is a huge explosion of lava from the mechanical arm.

[low shot closeup, then backing out]

Not to say the duel doesnt have its moments but I think it could've been way better

22. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I'm bored so I'm going to say why I liked these duels.

1. Anakin vs Obi-wan
    I loved the fast paced choreography and the emotion between the master and the apprentice.
    2. Mace, Kit, Saesee, and Agen vs Palpatine
    Everything that led up to the duel made it intense, and seeing Palpatine leap into action was sweet.
    3. Obi-wan vs Maul
    Again, faced paced and extreme emotion on Obi-wan's part. I loved the fact that Maul was cut in half.
    4. Dooku vs Anakin (ROTS)
    Anakin is displaying all out aggression without using the dark side and seeing him overcome Dooku felt good.
    5. Qui-gon vs Maul (Theed)
    I like Qui-Gon style, it feels like that of a more traditional Jedi Knight than any other Jedi we see.
    6. Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-wan (ROTS)
    Two on one, plus Dooku's unique fencing style helping him fight Anakin and Obi-wan was cool.
    7. Qui-gon and Obi-wan vs Maul
    Face paced two on one with Maul using acrobatics and a saber staff.
    8. Grievous vs Obi-wan
    4 sabers, come on. Even if it was short it still was exciting.
    9. Yoda vs Dooku
    Master vs Apprentice, with Yoda going all out on Dooku.
    10. Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)
    A very emotional fight, with Luke at his peak resisting the dark side.
    11. Yoda vs Sidious
    The duel itself was decent, not much more than Yoda and Sidious' other duels. The second half with the force fight was better.
    12. Luke vs Vader (TESB)
    Luke's first real fight with a lightsaber, plus seeing Vader fight better than he did in ANH or ROTJ.
    13. Anakin vs Dooku (AOTC)
    I loved the close-ups and this duel still had some full body shots that were good.
    14. Obi-wan vs Dooku (AOTC)
    It was slow, and Obi-wan got owned, but it was the first time Dooku's fencing and it was pretty sweet.
    15. Qui-gon vs Maul (Tatooine)
    Fairly fast paced, but too short.
    16. Obi-wan vs Vader
    Terrible choreography and footwrok, but with some new meaning since ROTS.
    17. Luke vs Vader (Dagobah)
    About three moves, and slo-mo. But still cool seeing Luke's face in Vader's mask.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The Mustafar duel of course

24. Chosen_One314

Chosen_One314 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    i would definatly have to say obi-wan and anakin... it was intense... fast... sad... tragic, i loved it.

i also would pick anakin and dooku.. not for the same reasons. but because i think dooku fought really well and it was cool for anakin to get his revenge.. and because it was fast. :D
    i like the fast paced duels

so i loved yoda and sidious.. but anakin and obi-wan was best

25. BeLikeWater

BeLikeWater Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2005
    I gotta give it to Obi Wan and Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.