main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion POLL! Which is a bigger deal, Episode I or Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Bigger deal: Episode I or Episode VII?

1. Episode I

42 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Episode VII

83 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. Tied/Can't Decide

22 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Also, Episode VII will have little involvement by George Lucas. A first for a Star Wars movie. It's a brave new world. One where Star Wars movies are being made by (presumably) fans of Star Wars who are now accomplished directors. I don't think the ramifications have quite sunk in. Episode VII is only the beginning.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    VII if Luke is in it. Otherwise, I by a ton.

3. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Episode VII

1. We don't know what's going to happen.
    2. It's not just another trilogy, there will be spin off movies.
    3. Good possibility of a Star Wars theme park with Disney being involved.
    This a huge deal, Star Wars will live on forever.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't really say. I was too young in the lead up to Episode 1 to really know everything that went on.
    Episode 7 is huge but to compare it to Episode 1? No idea

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    If you mean anticipation, yeah, I would say Episode I. But since the Prequels had failed in some people's hearts, I would say the Sequels have a better place in the expectation department. Mainly because we won't go in thinking it will be the second coming like we all thought the last time.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    For me it's Episode 7. The OT is my Star Wars and to see a continuation of that story is what I wanted to see when the prequels started production. Heck it's why I got suckered into buying all the EU Lucas spit out year after year. I am pretty darned pumped.

TreborSabreon, krtmd and LawJedi like this.
  7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say VII, I don't think anyone saw it coming.

Echo-07, Vespasian and Graphic like this.
  8. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Episode I was a huge deal. The announcement was made back in 1994 when the internet was in its infacy and barely used by the masses.
    I used to glean any info i could from SW insider and film mags like Empire.

Back then having the 3 films - getting 3 more was incredible. I always remember thinking it will double the number of films to choose from to watch on video - how would i ever decide!?

Then there was the slow trickle of info and misinfo - just like now... GL to direct... Ep 2&3 to be filmed together. OB1 is a clone designation, casting news, first shot of someone in rags in what was thought to be mos eisley, shot of theed hanger, pic of darth Maul.

All good stuff and fun doing it all again, but we now have 6 films, so not as big a deal.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Having said all that, hearing about ep7 was like a shot of adrenaline!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The poll results don't surprise me since 1994 was so long ago people are easily forgetting just how BIG that was!

11. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Quite right, I was 6 years old in 1994.:)

I found out about Episode I around the release of the Special Editions in a magazine called Cinema (in Hungary). Well, that turned out to be confusing, the first image showed a battle droid on Tatooine! Anyhoo, I was very excited about Episode I.

However, the announcement of Episode VII was soooo unexpected that it may be a bigger deal for me.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In the 90's, Star Wars was a classic movie trilogy, a handful of EU stories and a bunch of forgettable spinoff movies/TV shows (and the occasional video game). Not much was going on with the franchise back then. EpI was pretty much like lightning from a clear blue sky (though we did get warmed up with the SE).

These days, Star Wars is E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E, at all times. It has a huge following with fans of all kinds and ages who discover the franchise in countless different ways. Sure, EpVII is a big deal and it might break some records because of how Star Wars has grown during the past decade, but does it have the kind of impact that EpI had?
    I doubt it.

I doubt that Star Wars will ever be that exciting again.

"But you can't stop the change any more than you can stop the suns from setting"
    /LM

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    This, but to add we were certain (or at least I was) that episode 1 was going to be incredible when it was announced, the great George Lucas back behind the camera and all that. This one has the added pressure of being the great white hope that will hopefully take back what the prequels lost.

Lord Tuvitor likes this.
  14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ...except that it can't possibly be approved of by everyone. If you put that kind of hope in it, it'll have failed already.

"You've failed, your highness" - "I have failed you, Anakin"
    /LM

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL Right there with you, man!

16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd probably have to say Episode 1. Between Return Of The Jedi and The Phantom Menace, 16 years had passed where the void of film installments was filled with expanded universe novels, videos games, and comics. This not only kept the anticipation high for what could be next for Star Wars but fueled the fandom with enthusiasm. By the time The Phantom Menace, the film industry had made significant advancements in terms of film production with developments in CGI and blu-screen technology. The idea of seeing the origin story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker from the pen of George Lucas only added to the anticipation of what was to come. In short, it was the first official Star Wars film in almost two decades following one of the greatest trilogies of all time. How could hopes be possibly bigger?

Fast forward to 2015, it's only been 10 years since the last Star Wars film, Revenge Of The Sith, film technology has become more digital in the sense of green screen technology and use of CGI so it's inevitably more hand made. Overall, when compared to the reception of the original trilogy, the reaction to the prequels were mixed to positive. Therefore, since the passage of time since the prequels hasn't been as long as that between Jedi and Menace, then the fact that the prequels were often seen as the lesser trilogy to that of the prequels, many audiences will be excited for 7, 8 and 9 but at the same time, you'll never generate that initial surge of enthusiasm for an new Star Wars film as you did The Phantom Menace because it's nearly impossible for a set of films to be so cherished, like the classic trilogy, that it makes fans lose sleep over the next set that are to follow such as the prequels.

Episode Swag likes this.
  17. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    7 is bigger then 1. So, it should be clear.

18. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Definitely episode VII for me. I would rather have seen the ST long before the PT.

19. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Seeing Luke again on the big screen is the biggest for me. Voted VII.

20. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I think 7 is more. Because Lucas wont be directing them. This will be all new, unknown. New blood, new everything.

21. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I say 1, because simply the originals were episode 4 5 and 6. So it was very weird to me that there wasn't a 1 2 and 3. When 1 was in the making, I was exited because it would come full circle! Not saying I'm not exited for 7, far from it! Totally pumped right now!

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    VII. Because I was disappointed with TPM, I feel A New Hope.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel like VII is the bigger deal mainly because I was only 3 in '94, and I was honestly not expecting any more Star Wars films. This is a great time to be a fan again.

Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Episode 1 - I did not think I'd ever see episodes 1, 2 and 3....

However due to explosion of of star wars via all the new modern media, I always felt it was only a matter of time before episode 7 was made....

that being said, I believe Episosde 7 will blow away episode 1 and may be the best movie of the 7 made thus far based on 1) the resources at hand 2) the story line is wide open, in episodes 1, 2 and 3 they had to fit into a puzzle, in 4, 5 and 6, although most dear to our hearts, they were working with not nealry the resources at hand now 3) the 30 years to conceptualize with the collabortation of writing and directing.... we may be blown away

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode VII because it was the biggest surprise of the millennium, as far as I'm concerned. :)