main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Who Are Rey's Parents?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 22, 2015.

?

Who Are Rey's Parents?

1. Han and Leia

50.0%
  2. Luke

35.3%
  3. Neither

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    feminism is great. new feminism.. not so much.

Granek likes this.
  2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    He said the age would fit, not that they'd be the same age... Sabine's at least a year older than Luke (and Ezra) :p

3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Granek --you clearly don't understand what "feminism" means. Please stop talking about it. You look foolish.

Claire1976 likes this.
  4. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    '
    you're right a feminist means this to me:

Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.'

what shes asking for is beyond what ^ that explains

KK runs Star Wars -woman CHECK
    Rey is the protagonist - woman CHECK
    Leia is a Queen - Women CHECK

raging about a woman that may or may not even be in the movie = RAGING Feminist

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    So she can't be a nonentity cause that would be offensive but she also can't do TOO much cause that would upstage Leia! Wow, I doubt any character would make Leia fans okay with her cause her mere existence means that Leia wasn't the only chick hanging out in the OT. It's honestly very obvious that this hiding behind feminism isn't actually about feminism, otherwise it would be a positive thing to create more female characters in the OT era that was desperately lacking in that area. It's pretty telling when self proclaimed feminists only care about one female..

Granek likes this.
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    So this thread has gone from "Who are Rey's parents?" to "Luke Skywalker's supposed wife: Non-entity or not?".

7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I don't believe I mentioned ANYTHING about upstaging Leia in that post. I said nothing of the sort. What the hell has that comment got to do with Leia? Absolutely nothing.

Yanksfan and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
  8. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Why is it bad thing if a character doesn't interact on screen with the OT main crew? The OT already feels somewhat claustrophobic with so few major characters and a very narrow/limited view of a HUGE galaxy. We never even went close to the Capitol of the Empire or many other systems. To bring in more characters from that era at least makes the scope grander and doesn't mean they would be less important just cause they didn't hang out with the OT crew. There's way more going on in the galaxy.

9. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Right... Cause all those passive aggressive comments against a potential Rey mother who kicks ass in her own anthology film and goes down fighting is all about how this poor character you care so much about is getting screwed over? I mean, if you really just don't want Rey to be Luke's kid, fine but stop trying to hide behind this "I care SO much about this fictional character who may not exist getting screwed over!"

It's just really obvious you don't care? Cause people have provided many ways she could get her own story and not be a nonentity, but then those are shot down for having her to be TOO awesome?

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    honestly as I had said in the "KK Skywalker" thread whether people want Luke to have kids or not it's irrelevant if JJ/Lucasfilm want him to have kids or not.

11. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013

You can believe whatever you like, but my comment was actually sarcastic and aimed at Mara Jade, and how perfect she was. I'm sure if Luke had a wife she would be a lot better than her. it has NOTHING to do with Leia, so please stop putting words in my mouth.

12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    what problem do you have with Mara Jade? [face_dunno]

13. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013

Luke deserved better IMO.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Hmm, this is of course subjective.

Granek and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  15. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Mara Jade was perfect? Lol. Okay, so a semi murderous acerbic anti-hero is considered perfect these days! So I guess Han Solo is also a Gary Stu..

Granek likes this.
  16. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Absolutely nightangel, I appreciate she had a big following but I never thought she was right for Luke. Just my opinion.

Yanksfan likes this.
  17. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Agreed. The film is in the can and nothing we say here is going to make any difference. But we have a lot of time to kill before the movie comes out, and with so much still unknown about the plot, speculation and debate is inevitable.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Also where does the idea that Anthology films are second rate come from? Disney is investing a crap ton of money in them, there is no way they aren't going to push them as equally important as the episodes. They'll put less important things on TV but Rebels hasn't exactly been holding back on big stuff either.

For gods sake, the first movie is about the Death Star plans, the whole reason the OT exists and the characters meet. If Rey's mom gets to be a part of something of that magnitude, there is no way that is screwing her over even if she is dead by TFA.

19. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    And who says Rogue One is going to have anything to do with Rey's mother? That's wishful thinking.

20. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    No one knows at this point, but many posters act like anthology films aren't a thing and that if Rey's mom is dead there's no way she can have a story ever. Or that anthology films are some second rate dump that isn't worthy. Or whatever argument that supports Rey not being Luke's. Rogue One itself proves they aren't doing second rate stories for these films and there is absolutely nothing to suggest a dead character in TFA can't have their own story explored in an anthology.

Whether it happens is unknown but it's a possibility that people want to ignore cause it would disprove their assertion that Rey's mom would have to be a useless unimportant character.

nightangel and Darth_Voider like this.
  21. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Well I said nothing of the sort, and I'm looking forward to Rogue One.

22. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Never said you did, but reading the last few pages you'll see that view from a few people.

23. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Because, if she is a critical part of the family, it makes the story of the ST incomplete. Something vital -- someone vital -- is missing. No matter which way you slice it, giving Luke a wife creates narrative problems. Either she is dead and offscreen, which leaves the audience with a very incomplete picture of Luke and Rey's family. Or she is in the film, which is already overstuffed with characters and plot. It just seems silly to create this narrative problem when there are two ready-made parents right there in the main cast. They are both very popular characters, we saw them fall in love, and one of them is a Skywalker, so Rey can have force-powers and still be the granddaughter of Darth Vader. The only difficulty is that these parents don't carry the hallowed name of Skywalker. But there are some of us who think that Solo is a fine last name.

As for all this spazzing out about "new feminism" or "raging feminism" -- WTF?

ETA: the difference between putting Whoosis Skywalker in Rogue One instead of the ST is that it leaves the story of the ST incomplete. Whoosis should be a critical part of the Skywalker family picture, and if she is not there then a critical piece is missing. That weakens the story of the ST, IMO.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I really don't think she exists anyway.

Claire1976 likes this.
  24. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    There are majorly hot dudes in Rogue One. Felicity's character is definitely hitting one of those. Now, is it possible she had a romance before Luke? Absolutely but people should be prepared for her character to be paired with someone else. Is romance necessary for a SW film? No. But usually, even with the canon animated series we've seen it (ex. Clone Wars, Obi Wan and Satine, possibly even Rebels in future seasons).

starocean90 likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    assuming majority of these characters survive the movie with rumors of Vader having a role.....[face_devil]

nightangel and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.