main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Who Are Rey's Parents?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 22, 2015.

?

Who Are Rey's Parents?

1. Han and Leia

50.0%
  2. Luke

35.3%
  3. Neither

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not enough :rolleyes: for this.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't know what to feel about this whole Luke/Leia daughter thing...or Anakin being a playboy...

I am just going to hide!

3. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    What I have seen in Disney "Star War Rebels" is that they just invented some new Jedi Knights example Kannan and Ashoka.
    (ok,Ashoka was invented by Lucas in Clone Wars).
    Now The Force Awakens belongs to Disney,so we shall see,maybe Rey is the daughter of some very powerful and famous
    Jedi Knight,of which we never heard before.

4. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I think it pretty much has to be revealed during the film. Why she was left on Jakku and how she got there will have a lot to do with who her parents are and I think that will need to be explained. Don't you think there's an explanation as to why Rey was abandoned? I think there has to be and it may not have been the decision of her actual parents. Otherwise, her parents, whoever they are, look Iike horrible people.

5. captainjojo

captainjojo Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2015
    After seeing the latest TV spot, I'm now more convinced Rey is Han/Leia's daughter.

Specifically, the scene where Rey seems to be entering the meeting room of the Rebel leadership. Rey's facial reaction seems a bit teary, with the camera focused on Leia from behind. It's like Rey's about to see her mother again for the first time in years.

Of course, it's a 2 second clip in a 1 minute commercial, but at this point, you have to play a bit of a detective when analyzing new footage.

Doesn't answer the question of why she was abandoned. Could be Han/Leia were separated from Rey during/after the Battle of Jakku and assumed she died. Who knows - that's what the movie will say.

But in any event, I'm leaning more towards Rey being their daughter.

Force22 likes this.
  6. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Good call. I'm not sure she's entering the meeting room of the Rebel leadership, though, but these two scenes put together give that impression.

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    What's most disturbing to me is that after the celebration in ROTJ, the heroes have been diminished to an underground meeting room after 30 years. This means to me that Han, Leia, Luke, etc accomplished NOTHING. What about Coruscant? So if Han and Leia are separated after bringing the next horrible evil into the world, Han dies, and Leia becomes a widow who lost her husband (estranged or not) and only has a horrible son, you can add to their list of failures the fact that their work in the OT did nothing at all. It's like a never-ending laundry list of failures for Han and Leia. It's really kind of a joke.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    What are you talking about? If the new canon says anything about the state of the galaxy, a New Republic has been established across a huge swathe of the galaxy. That is the direct result of Luke, Leia and Han's actions. That's a massive impact.

What seems to be happening in TFA is that a new threat has risen to challenge the world that they helped build. And it looks like our heroes have gone to the Outer Rim to meet that threat, before the threat gets too close to home (in the New Republic). So not only have they accomplished a great deal, but they are now going on the offensive to defend those accomplishments.

How does this translate into "accomplished NOTHING?"

What a strange, strange attitude toward achievement and failure you have. Reminds me of the stereotype of Bavarian fatalism.

9. captainjojo

captainjojo Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2015
    Force22,
    That's true. You never know how they edit things. Just another month to go!

Force22 likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It could just as easily be the moment she's told Luke is her Father.

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    wait isn't that scene of Rey in the stairs at Maz's Castle and not the Resistance base, those are 2 different scenes.

DeanVantis and nightangel like this.
  12. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I think it has to be two different scenes edited together, yes. But honestly, it appears to be another case of of the marketing deliberately teasing that they're her parents lol. First the "eyes" with the close ups of Rey and Han in one spot, and then cutting two scenes to make people associate a connection between Rey and Leia. Now what remains to be seen in the end is if this is meant to be exactly what it looks like or misdirection (unwise if it's the latter, imo, I don't see the value in building up people's expectations falsely this way).

Force22 likes this.
  13. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I don't think many people are really going to cry foul if Rey ends up not being Han and Leia's daughter, provided that the film is a success and we come to love Rey and the other new characters too. If it's a misdirection to hide Rey's true heritage, that just means JJ is actually trying to do a good "twist" that might actually surprise most audience members (as practically every general audience member out there right now is assuming she's a Solo).

But if that happens, we still will need to wait and see whatever the aftermath is. :)

ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    misdirection is not lying you know, if people assume something character wise based on marketing and it ends up being wrong than nothing wrong with that. That's part of the game, people guess and assume and you can be right or you can be wrong.:)

just like the amount of people who assumed Luke is Kylo based on the trailers of him talking to Vader.[face_laugh]

15. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

Riiiight. Everything that points to Rey being Luke and Leia's is misdirection. That's the third trailer/ TV spot with some hint of Rey Solo. And only the people who think Rey is Luke's are the ones based on information and rumours.

16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    By itself, you are right. Nobody would mind if Rey were not Han and Leia's child and was Luke's child. However, people WILL have a problem with what that does to Han and Leia's characters based on what we assume to be true. There will be a large fanbase for Han and Leia who would already be upset that Han is killed off. But to have him killed off AND have their only child be horribly evil? That will piss a LOT of people off without doubt. That's not exaggerating either.

On the other side, if Rey were to be Han and Leia's child, I don't think you would have as many people upset that she's not Luke's child. People are used to the old sage warrior/wizard. While conventional to make Luke into that type of role, it's much more comfortable to people than what the alternative does to Han and Leia. To SW fans, it's about much more than just liking new people.

Claire1976 likes this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but that's the thing you see hints others don't?
    The only thing that is for sure is that Rey starts off as a no one and is waiting for her family. Is she more that is the question? People who don't follow spoilers don't know what happens in the story, will assume based on little things it's the same way MSW had sources who were like Rey is a Solo based on Han giving her the gun and her flying the Falcon. Which are exactly the same type of thing that makes people assume she's a Solo basically by default. Do you forget that Luke is a mystery of the movie that he's in a flashback and at the end only based on reliable rumors. So if Rey is Lukes, how can one even hint at it to begin with, besides imagery given the desert setting. Whereas she goes on the adventure with Finn/Han/Chewie so the assumption is basically by default, regardless of who she ends up being at the end, Solo/Skywalker/random. Nor is it said anywhere marketing won't make you assume for this movie about character/story.

DeanVantis likes this.
  18. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

If she's Luke's, there would be no need to have a close up of Han right after a close up of Rey while the "eyes" quote is in the background. Show only Rey, and the idea that she has eyes that had been seen before... Leave it hanging. Lots of people would assume the quote is about Luke, or about whatever. Why show a close up of Han? It builds certain expectations. Now, sure, the marketing cannot give the whole plot away, but the goal of the marketing is to promote the movie, not pretend it is something that it isn't. I have never seen a movie trailer provide deceiving information. They can withhold information, not deceive, cause that's plain stupid.

You claim showing Kylo talking to Vader's helmet makes people think he's Luke. I'd say people jump to that conclusion. What the scene implies is that there's someone who wants to be like Vader, who might even be one of his descendants (which is likely true).

IrisBest likes this.
  19. Force22

Mar 2, 2013
    Okay guys, I got it. I loved discussing with you. I'll be back in December just to say, I knew it, Rey is Leia's daughter.[face_dancing]
    Well, if that's not the case, I'll be here as well. Take good care, and don't stress out. ;)

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think a prevailing opinion might be that this is too obvious a hint to be true. I noticed that cut to Han as well. But knowing JJ, I don't believe he would authorize a trailer that hinted at Rey's lineage so blatantly. In that context, I look to other information to make sense of it. And a lot of that information is pointing to daughter of Luke. With Rey random behind that, and Rey Solo behind that.

She could be a Solo. I don't deny that. I just don't think that's as likely as I once thought it was.

starocean90 likes this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well agree to disagree, I don't think showing Han's eyes means anything even if she did end up being a Solo as I don't think that part of the movie with context has anything to do with relation. Also the same trailer that focuses on Finn and Poe staring at each other and Finn looking and then back to Rey. So that entire thing is about the new 3 and Han in the trailer it's about the next generation (passing the torch) which even appears in text in the teaser.

I also don't think if Rey ends up not being a Solo, does it mean it was misdirection.

22. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    ...Are you sure? Lol these are the reactions to be found in the tags for this lovely gif set someone made:
    [​IMG]

I think it'd be a pretty brilliant bit of marketing if she simply is Rey Solo but playing coy and not saying outright who she is like this has people more excited about the coming ~revelation~. It builds anticipation in a way that you wouldn't get as much if there wasn't a perceived mystery to uncover, and when the truth is revealed the people who were teased into a frenzy like this will feel like they've won something by guessing right.

Force22 and MattOrgana like this.
  23. Blake Fever

Blake Fever Jedi Knight

Apr 19, 2015
    On the surface, the reasoning for Rey being abandoned is going to need a solid, logical explanation. I originally thought maybe she was Luke's daughter and Han was watching over her from afar, similar to Obi Wan from ANH. But then, why not pick her up and keep her ether with him or the Resistance depending on Han and Leia's marital status.

Beyond this, 2 questions aid like to pose: 1) if Rey is Han's daughter, what are the odds her real name is Jaina? If Rey is a code name, which is possible, do you think JJ and KK would give the EU readers/fans a nod? And 2) it's been stated Rey and Finn's last names are purposefully being withheld. OK, so does that mean they both know their last names and if so, wouldn't that be revealed the first time they meet anyone? There might've been value in also holding back Poe and Kylo's last name (although they technically did since Ren is Knights related). Poe's a bit older than the other 2 and a pilot, so it's reasonable he could've been a Solo born a year after ROTJ.

I'm enjoying the guessing game aspect, but part of it feels a bit off.

24. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Perhaps this poll shoul've had this option added:

Rey's parentage will not be revealed in VII. Saved for later episodes.

I feel like this is a possibility.

25. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Daisy confirmed the other day that she is a Solo we will know who her parents are by the end of VII. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.