main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Who do you think chose/created the main ST villain?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LunarMoth, Aug 26, 2014.

?

Who do you think chose/created the main ST villain?

1. George Lucas: The main villain was in Uncle George's treatments.

53 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. JJ Abrams/Larry Kasdan: JJ and LK changed this from the GL treatments.

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. The SW Story Group: The villain was decided in committee to keep the new canon clear.

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other: Please explain.

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    OK, folks.......

First off, this poll is mod approved!

I think it would interesting to see what we all think it terms of who chose/created the main villain of the ST. I want to be very clear in this poll, so please read this before you vote!

1. I am asking who chose/created the main ST villain, not who the villain is. There is already a large "Who's the Baddie" thread with that debate.

2. Please limit comments to your reason behind your answer. It will be very easy to overlap "Who's the Baddie" otherwise.

3. The choices are the simplest set I could come up with. Vote "Other" and post your suggestion if your opinion is not listed.

4. I left Arndt off the list because if I put him on, I would have to include choices "Arndt created", "Arndt changed treatments", "JJ/LK changed Arndts villain", "JJ/LK changed GLs villain" and so on.

My vote? George Lucas: The main villain was in Uncle George's treatments.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The big bad is definitely in the treatments. The whole point of a treatment is to establish the fundamentals of the plot, and the big bad is a fundamental component of the plot.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    JJ/Kasdan rewrote the script to feature the CT characters in a more prominent role when GL had them secondary, so it wouldn't shock me if they did up the villain as well.

4. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    in before...wait...oh...well...sheesh...how would i know?
    Do we even have confirmation theres a big bad in this movie?

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please keep this one in mind, especially. This thread should not have discussions about the villains themselves... that is for the "Who's the Baddie?" thread. In posts here people should explain their answers to this poll.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If it was good ol' Uncle George then I wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be Plagueis,or a Darksider who discovers the tomb of Darth Bane on Moraband and awakens his spirit and becomes possessed by it.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The original treatments have the ST focused on the origins of the Jedi and Sith and Luke locate the source of the true source of the dark side.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Who created the main villain?

Well you see kids when a mommy and a daddy really love eachother...wait...OHHH you mean THAT kind of creation. :p

I have a feeling it'll be a mixture of George, Abrams and Kasdan.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    They didn't remove the other characters, all we know is that the big 3 will be featured more prominently in Ep VII.
    Back in the day, wasn't there a clause that the ST must follow at least the basics of George's outline? I'm trying to remember....

Lol I say "back in the day" referring to barely 2 years ago. It's hard to believe it's already been that long

10. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    They just bought the outline. It was a legal sale, 'clauses' don't apply to those. They bought the treatments and all of Star Wars that GL owns (meaning everything except ANH).

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Probably GL, but no can say for sure.

12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Not to get to nit-picky, but as an attorney I am qualified to state that "clauses" of the type referenced above are known as "conditions," and they most certainly can apply in "legal sales."

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All of the above?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Since everyone and their grand daughter (literally) will be a villain then I guess the answer is everyone.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Just to be clear, if you think the villain is going to be a character Lucas created, like Palpatine, but believe JJ and company decided to use them over what may have been in the treatments, you should be voting JJ and LK.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i hope the main info came from george and that it's not the emperor.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think the main villian will be -at least mostly- from GL. Abrams and co might have changed a few things, but I think the general idea came from George's treatments.

Immortiss, Seeher and Darth Malgus like this.
  18. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Interesting one. I'm going with GL. No other reason than that I hope what we see on the screen is it least roughly based on his ideas for the ST.

Immortiss likes this.
  19. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    George Lucas. Based purely on the fact that there've been no rumors to the contrary. :p

Immortiss, Darth Malgus and LunarMoth like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Pappa George - someone has way too much faith that the "Story Group" has any power when it comes to the films - the SG/EU follows the Movies, not the other way round...

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    However, this time we have something we didn't have before. An EU created concurrently with the films. The story group might not have any SAY, but they do have a roadmap. Something the EU has only had once before (and only one era of it, the CW era, and even that could be dubious). It may be that we get an EU that actually matters and is, to some extent, cohesive and without a bunch of retcons.

22. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

OK, fair enough. Does anyone know any of the details of the deal, or is it hyper - FakeCyanideTooth - secret?

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    IIRC, one of the conditions of even entering negotiations for the sale was that Disney would abide by George's outline. That MAY have been renegotiated during the actual sale, giving Disney some latitude, but George was pretty tight with it all.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think and hope that it came from George Lucas. He worked for like a year on those treatments before the sale to Disney and in all that time I can't see him not addressing the main villain. I also can't see him even starting the ST without at least some sense of who this character would be.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To further refine my answer....

I believe that the villain will be an original creation of George's (or not if it turns out to be Plagueis, but still)
    However some traits, backstory, or personality aspects of the villain may have been slightly modified by JJ and LK

Dewback likes this.