main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL - Will The Force Awakens deliver the goods ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Nov 21, 2014.

?

Will The Force Awakens deliver the goods

1. Loved by both fanbase and critics

51.0%
  2. Loved by fanbase ; Thumbs down by critics

9.8%
  3. Lukewarm reaction from fanbase ; Thumbs up by critics

25.5%
  4. Lukewarm reaction from fanbase ; Thumbs down by critics

5.9%
  5. Thumbs down by fanbase ; Thumbs Up by critics

3.9%
  6. Thumbs down by both fanbase and critics

3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    I don't see this Poll question anywhere. I'm curious to see what the general honest - and objective - opinion is on it.

Again, this is asking for your OBJECTIVE answer. I'm expecting people to use their head not their heart when answering the question. It's somewhat of a complicated question, since there are different types of successes - critical, box office, publicly loved - but hated by the loyal fanbase etc... That's why I gave several choices.

Since I think it is impossible for any film to get a unanimously positive or negative reaction from the fanbase then let's just assume I put the words "For the most part..." in front of the word "Fanbase" in the questions.

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Let me just grab my crystal ball....

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    How about letting us see the Movie first, or heaven forbid a TEASER?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Based on Abrams track record, I forsee critics liking/borderline loving it, while it will heavily divide the fanbase (but hey that almost always happens with these major films except for maybe The Avengers 1)

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  5. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014

How about having a new poll after the teaser ?

I'm not asking you to use psychic powers here. Just asking for your gut feeling at this time.

6. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I voted Lukewarm reaction from fanbase ; Thumbs up by critics.

The critical reaction will be: "Abrams has brought new life to Star Wars. It's action packed and fun filled again!" But the fans will say "Abrams failed to bring back the old Star Wars we loved..... Better than the prequels, but just okay."

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    fans will complain, they ruined the Big 3.:p
    and the critics will bash the movie.;)

I voted[face_devil]
    Thumbs down by both fanbase and critics

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  8. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014

This is almost exactly what I'm thinking at this time.

Primetime_Jedi likes this.
  9. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014
    I probably shouldn't have even bothered putting in this option :

Loved by fanbase ; Thumbs down by critics

If it's loved by the fanbase then I don't think there is any chance it will be garnering negative critical reaction.

10. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Those are what we call Cult Classics.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    That's why Charles Manson is gonna be first in line to see TFA and he'll think it's the greatest thing since the Beatles' White album.
    [​IMG]

Oh, I'm sorry, you said Cult Classics. My bad.[face_mischief]

JediKnightWax likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Probably. I suspect that the fans, for the most part, will like it. It almost certainly won't be as polarizing as TPM's reception. I also think it will do well with critics. JJ Abrams seems to be a very critic-friendly director, at least for the moment.

13. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014

If the Star Wars fanbase loves it (not lukewarm - loves it) then it will be because it's a great film, period. And the critics' reaction will be positive.

14. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    This time next year, The Force Awakens will be less than a month away! This forum would of crashed the internet by then

15. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014

Probably so, but critics hated:

Predator
    The Shining
    Psycho
    Tron
    Hook
    The Big Lebowski
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Blade Runner
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Citizen Kane

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  17. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I listen to F This Movie podcast. Their most recent chat was about UHF, hilarious movie from 1989 by "Weird Al" Yakovich. Critics hated that movie when it came out. I loved and adored it, as I was 9. I still loved it as I grew up. Loved everything "Weird Al" as I grew up. That movie had so many things in it, like viral videos, made fun of stupid reality shows, and was well ahead of its time. but, critic crushed it for being stupid. i still love that movie. It "Delivered the goods for me", but I didn't know it until I saw it. It's a cult classic now.

"Weird Al" has a #1 album this year when it came out and he is till banging out hits and he is a big pop culture guy now and "fits in".

Point is it's too early to say, so maybe this poll should hold off until the official review one comes out? I "HOPE" it delivers the goods, but honestly.........it's never gonna make all of us happy. You know this to be true.

18. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    No matter how good or bad the movie is, it is going to have critics either way

19. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014

that's because some of those movies suck

and none of them came under the moniker of the most beloved film franchise in history. The critics will be in its corner on the night of its release. If it garnishes bad reviews it will be for a justified reason.

20. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014

That's exactly it. Their fans don't think so.

21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The Empire Strikes Back... often rated by most everyone as the best of Star Wars... was critically panned upon release, and only much, MUCH later (like a decade later) did critics rave about it.

Other than the ORIGINAL release in 1977, critics have a long history of panning Star Wars.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I have a feeling that this film will be fairly well received by the general filmgoing public and critics. The Star Wars community will be divided, because we are divided on everything! :p

23. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I predict that TFA will be:

-well received by critics
    -mostly well received by the fanbase
    -heavily disliked by me.

Hopefully I am wrong where I am concerned...

24. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    So...kind of confused here.

My gut says it's going to be amazing. My head thinks, due to the massive popularity and diverse fan base of Star Wars, that the fan reaction will be mixed. Since Abrams does quality work, and has a good track record, I'm thinking the critics will give TFA mostly positive reviews.

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Strong, positive reaction from critics, initially glowing reaction from fans that becomes more divided/lukewarm over time, until decades later it's hailed as a classic by the people who saw it in theaters as kids and grew up with it.

Me, I have a strong feeling I'll love it. There's so much passion being put into this film, and I'm just getting good vibes off the whole thing. I'm hoping for something that's at least as good as Return of the Jedi, which is my third favorite behind 2) A New Hope and 1) The Empire Strikes Back. As good as RotJ, I'll be satisfied. Any better than that, I'll be absolutely over the moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.