main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Poll to find out whether Star Wars would be better ending at Episode 6; continued through the collective efforts of the EU. Or, continued through the ST movies.

We are deciding based on what we have seen thus far in TFA, and TLJ, rather than future prospects.

2. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    Definitely. The story was done and was satisfying enough to live on in the head canon of all who loved it. These ST films have been nothing but lazy rehashes that brought legendary characters back to the big screen with no real story arcs. The battle of Endor is where Star Wars ends for me.

3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Not at all. If anything, it’s improved it by expanding on the universe and giving us a whole bunch of great new characters and stories.

Blobofat, rorow1, jaqen and 7 others like this.
  4. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I became a more passionate Star Wars fan because of the ST, and that's just me; in short, the answer to the question depends on who you ask. But I think that's the point. What makes Star Wars appealing or otherwise great would also have a range of answers. I think it's in the spirit of the GFFA to be so expansive, and it's great to have more cinematic stories told there.

rorow1, Graphic, Satipo and 1 other person like this.
  5. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    Yes, if by ST we mean a saga focusing on our favorite characters 30 years later.

The better move would have been to set the saga 100 years after the OT and look at the legacy of the characters we knew and loved without having to worry about how they would be portrayed since they would all be dead. Maybe in the opening scene you actually have old man Luke on his deathbed pass on some wisdom to a new Jedi and that gets the fun started.

The Star Wars brand alone could have carried it. Just look at Rogue One and how well it did. Did Tarkin, Vader and Leia help? Yeah sure but I don't think their absence would have caused the film to make significantly less.

6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    No, they don't do harm. They are films that will create a new generation of fans, like the prequels did for me. If fans don't like them, they don't have to watch them. I'm not a huge fan of the sequels, but I like them.

Satipo, Deliveranze and Strongbow like this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Not for me... they've revived my deep and abiding love for this franchise and given stories I really connect with.

jaqen, themoth, gaarastar58 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well, seeing as though Lucas himself had envisioned a sequel trilogy, it’s rather a moot question I feel.
    The fact is it now exists. And I think it’s coming along very nicely.

ObiWanKnowsMe, gaarastar58 and Satipo like this.
  9. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I'm all for more Star Wars movies, however this new trilogy seems to miss the mark. The Prequels had some nice world building but all the ST is is just a retread of what we saw with the classics. They don't take time to explore how the galaxy has changed after ROTJ. We don't know how the New Republic differs from the one of old, the Jedi Order are omitted, it's not explored how the First Order was able to build such a huge army, and frankly, I don't see the need for a third trilogy if they're not going to move forward in any meaningful way.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    For me, yeah. I just don't think the new films do justice to the I-VI saga. It's kind of like reading Tolkien and then moving on to one of the myriad LOTR "clones" that at best captures some surface similarities without coming anywhere near the depth and artistry that made me love the original work.

Oh well. Can't win them all. At least the new Blade Runner was pretty great.

11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    If we got the ST as envisioned by Lucas before the sale to Disney where things actually do move forward, then I'd say no. Otherwise, I don't care, it's just an official fanfiction to me. Maybe I should really go and read Zahn's book since it was edited by George himself.

12. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    No the aren’t. They opened up so many chances for stories, EU, fans. So as far as the brand not at all.

As far as the OT goes? As far as right now? It was all for nothing until further notice. ST kind of ruins huge moments of the OT, especially with the OT character arcs. I made a thread about being annoyed that all 3 died too quick in the ST, but I’m more upset now I think at the characters retreading and the story itself. Feels like the OT characters just got in an aging chamber on cloud city.

13. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am not a fan of the old EU, and I don't like the new EU & ST.

I don't like TFA and none of the new ST characters interest me.
    I refuse to watch TLJ. I read the spoilers and I don't like it. I didn't like what they did to Luke's character even before TLJ came out, when it was just TFA. I don't think the ST fits good with the ending of ROTJ. I'd rather have a Luke Skywalker that grew into a wise old man better than Yoda and Obi-wan with Jedi Knights superior to the old Order. And a way different plot than what we got.
    TFA was very boring and the characters are not very good.

SW would be better off without the ST.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  14. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    While I’ve enjoyed them for the most part, as written they don’t really justify their existence to me. ROTJ was a fitting conclusion to the previous 6-part arc. To me, the ST kind of taints that with the direction they’ve taken with the story. As another poster mentioned, I would prefer something that takes place much further down the road and that is its own thing without being overly connected to the previous films.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. VengefulRepublic

VengefulRepublic Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't like the ST at all. The new characters (save an occasional scene from Kylo) are really awful while the story-line does violence to the character arcs of Luke, Han and Leia. And to top it all off, as films they are boring.

16. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Here's a boring mathematical look at it (from my perspective):

ANH: 8/10
    ESB: 9/10
    ROTJ: 6/10
    TPM: 4/10
    AOTC: 3/10
    ROTS: 6/10
    OT + PT Average: 6/10

Add in my ST scores:

TFA: 7/10
    TLJ: 6/10
    ST Average: 6.5/10
    Saga Average: 6.125/10

Net Improvement of Saga: +0.125

17. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    Yes because The Last Jedi has completely destroyed the overall Star Wars saga and the legacy of some of its most beloved characters.

18. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    No, Star Wars would not be better without the ST.

People who don't like it don't have to watch it. The existence of the ST should have zero effect on their enjoyment of the OT (and PT if they like those films).

ObiWanKnowsMe, rorow1, jaqen and 4 others like this.
  19. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm kind of ambivalent on how the ST is done, but the first two trilogies are still the same. If you don't like the ST, there's the EU, and if you don't like the EU just stop at 6.

gaarastar58 and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Yes. I never thought I’d say this but...

Lucas should have buried the franchise with a shovel, then buried the shovel..

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have the old EU up to The Unifying Force as the continuation of the SW Saga past ROTJ.
    DNT to Legacy vol. 2? Love parts of it, dislike parts of it. And after TFA and TLJ am beginning to like it even more than I already did. Though am working on a re-write of the era since we probably won't get anymore EU stories.
    TFA and sequels are just an alternate timeline. Exciting what-if stories.
    Do like the characters, planets, aliens etc. though.
    And I get to see the OT Big 3 on the Big screen for at least once in my life.
    Though am now wishing that they jumped 100 years after ROTJ instead.
    As long as someone likes them, fine by me.

lookameatbag and Ahsoka Blaster like this.
  22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Would it be that different without the ST?
    Not really.

Would it be better without the ST?

No.

I think all SW helps the universe in some way, and I'm not sure how SW can get better without something. But at the same time, in my personal opinion, I don't find these movies to bring anything that new to I-VI that affects what we've learned in those films. I feel the ST has constricted SW compared to the PT, but once again, that likely has to do with a bias I have.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Yessss, 100 years ahead: That would be a nice job for Rian J!

24. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    No, the ST is enriching the entire saga.

ObiWanKnowsMe, rorow1 and Satipo like this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with no. I'm always up for more Star Wars, and I'm interested in seeing how this saga ends with Episode IX.

ObiWanKnowsMe, rorow1 and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.