main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow. Just wow.

rorow1 and Satipo like this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The ST sits right alongside the OT for me. Very glad these stories are being told, and I look forwards to 9. Also very much looking forward to an all new trilogy set in this universe.

3. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    The ST is an example of style over substance. And what substance it does have is destructive to the previous films, especially the OT.

I'm afraid to see what Disney Wars will destroy next.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I loved the OT and PT. I think TFA laid a good foundation while connecting with the OT. TLJ May be the best SW film ever, but it’s too soon for me.

rorow1, Satipo and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    ESB is better for me, but there are some things TLJ does better. ANH is hard to dislodge for me as it’s the foundation everything else is built on but those are the top three for me. I will say TLJ is the first film to make me appreciate the PT and their place in the saga more.

6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Same here. I absolutely love these new stories we've seen, and how much more we have yet to see.
    I blinked for a second when I heard Luke mention "Darth Sidious" instead of calling him Emperor Palpatine. Was that one of the first references to the prequels we've seen in the ST? Anyway I thought that was a cool callback.
    It's too soon for me to rank The Last Jedi, I need to see it a few times more and let it all settle inside my skull. It helps that the movie's awesome?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The ST is the second best T. It's an indispensable part of this Saga.

8. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    TESB and ANH will be 1&2 for most hardcore and casual fans, at least for my generation. For me my favorites in chronological order are TESB, ROTS, and TLJ.

Why do you appreciate the PT more?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Satipo likes this.
  9. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Hard to tell. I think its easy to judge the ST right now after all that backlash happend. I wasnt a Fan of the PT back in the Day. I thought that especially Yoda and Obi Wan didnt fit theyre counterparts in the OT very well. But with the years it changed, kudos to TCW, and now i LOVE the Prequel-Era.

MAYBE it can work out the same way for the ST. Maybe dont.
    I dont HATE the decisions LFL had made with TLJ. To hate something you must first Love it. But im hugely disappointed in it. And there is a growing distrust to the current Members of LFL in me.

With The Force Awakens i thought they really try to get the Fans on board with certain things they did. Using the same Lenses as back in 76. They hired this old Guy who played this "Skeleton-like Alien" in the Cantina Scene from ANH so he can show up in Maz's Castle somewhere in the Background. Even bring back the same Modelmaker who created Vader's Mask. And i felted the same for Rogue One.

I mean, i dont like that stupid Phrase "... has ruined my Childhood". Its absolutely nonsense and unfair. BUT Psychologically it shows perfectly how deep people are connected with these Movies in an emotional way.

But for now, after TLJ... its like my best Friend from the Kindergarden has slaped me in the Face without a reason and canceled our Friendship.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

I like that the arc of the Jedi and their place in the universe runs from the PT through to TLJ. It was always there in the PT but I think slightly buried by poor execution (imo). I think TLJ brings that aspect into clearer focus.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    We used to have two great films in the series; now we have four (all IMHO, obviously). I think the ST has returned Star Wars to a state of prestige. So, no, I don't think Star Wars would be better without the ST.

This seriously reminds me of the arguments during the PT days.

12. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I love Kubrick and Pink Floyd. But every time a new film or album came out it took a while to process.
    Definitely so with with ANH as it was groundbreaking, TESB because it took the ground from underneath my feet. ROTJ I wasn’t completely satisfied with as it was too cutesy and I couldn’t imagine the Emperor more powerful than Vader, Luke defeating Vader, or Vader turning.

TPM was amazing, but a disappointing because of the hype and it being a prologue. AOTC was great from the beginning and made me reappreciate TPM. ROTS was a masterpiece and made me love the entire Saga.

TFA was a great prologue and TLJ and took the ground under my feet again. Here’s hoping IX concludes like VI and III.

13. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    What you're essentially asking is :
    "Have extra movies, which we could choose to ignore if we don't like them, but other people love, retroactively affected the quality and, subsequently, my/your enjoyment of the original movies?"

The answer is no.

The real question you're searching for is "am I/are you bitter that you waited this long for new movies which you built up expectations for and wild, silly fan theories about for years, only to be disappointed with the result being another family friendly movie in the star wars franchise for new and old fans alike to enjoy, instead of a step by step wookiepedia article of a fantasy future story made into a screenplay that seeks to answer all your questions via bulletpoints in dialogue heavy expositional scenes in between epic twirling lightsaber scenes?"

The answer is yes, but we also know you'd be disappointed with a paint-by-numbers movie and so would everyone who currently loves the ST... So basically you're saying "should other people have SW movies that they enjoy if I can't find a way to enjoy them?" and yes, yes we should have them.

14. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    I voted no although I do agree with many that these films have hurt the legacy of the OT and its characters. Right now it feels a bit like the Injustice Universe in DC. Sure it's interesting to see how characters would react if the absolute worst timeline happened but really I don't want it to be the main/cannon universe. So I'm just going to treat it as what it is, one poorly planned and extremely derivative vision of what could have happened to these characters.

Ultimately the movies have allowed Star Wars to return to the big screen where it belongs in my opinion. It's making record levels of money that one day might fund a truly great Star Wars film. Maybe this will get an Old Republic trilogy made or maybe there will be a new and incredible trilogy set years in the future. Hell, maybe I'll think Episode IX is the best film since ESB. More Star Wars can never be a bad thing for me even if I'm not enjoying the current set of films as much as I did the original six.

15. jediela83

jediela83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Yes absolutely.I was satisfied with 1-6, and the original EU. For me TFA was a rehash and TLJ a parody at best. I have no enthusiasm for pt9 whatsoever.Only positives were good to see Luke Han Leia back on big screen even though I dislike their characterisation

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  17. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I`m disappointed in the PT direction but I guess I can accempt them as a "what if". They don`t enrichen anything for me but take stuff away so they are not part of the Saga in my book.

Obviously other people like them a lot so I`m not saying they shouldn`t have that. I myself hope for a few good anthology movies down the line.

Ahsoka Blaster likes this.
  18. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Wait for IX, you all

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This is an interesting question. I like all the SW films. But the OT are still the best films. SW did not need more films but we got them. This is a tough question.

20. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Here we go again. Same old rehash of other threads of a similar nature.

Sigh.....no, Star Wars would not be better without the ST. But that's just my opinion; just as its a "yes" opinion for those who hate TLJ.

Every film probably has bits that don't fit our head cannons, but the OT, the PT and now the ST (and throw in The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons and all of the books and comics too), they're all every bit "Star Wars" as each other. But again, that's just my opinion.

21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Only if the Disney canon never existed as a whole, and some attempt was made to reconcile TCW with Legends, or TCW was never made. As is, I don't see any harm. It would be bizarre for Disney to acquire Lucasfilm and not make a sequel trilogy.

22. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I think the ST would have not been as divisive if it didn't touch the Big 3 OT characters arcs and focused more on the new characters. I think you could have had Han, Luke, and Leia all have cameos in Episode 7 to pass the torch to Rey, Finn and Poe. The handling of Luke Skywalker has cast a shadow over TLJ as either fans like it or hate it, and the ones that hate it will never be able to properly evalute the movie.

jediela83, Shadao and Ren Kylo like this.
  23. Mandalore464

Mandalore464 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 3, 2011
    No.

The OT is the OT is the OT.

The PT is the PT is the PT.

We all have our "headcanon". Those who like the ST are free to include it to theirs alongside the PT and OT. Those who hate it are free to pretend it doesn't exist.

Neither option alters the OT for the worse in any way. It is either improved or stays the same.

Just like the female Ghostbusters remake took nothing from the originals, no Star Wars film can ever "ruin" the ones that came before.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Heck no...

I love Star Wars. I want as much content as I can get.

And if by chance there's something I don't like, that's perfectly fine. It doesn't change the way I feel about everything else.

Eternal_Jedi and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Something new should be out in a week anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.