main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Would Star Wars be better without the ST?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Hell no ....I like many dreamed of the Big 3 coming back & as far as I'm concerned the ST is very worthy ,

Most haters only see one trilogy 4-6 & noting else should be included......

rorow1 and heels1785 like this.
  2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Here's my beef...

If someone doesn't like the ST, they never have to watch it. Same with the PT.

The existence of these movies do not affect IV-VI at all. They are the same movies.

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly the same story for me. My SW fandom was reignited with TFA. I wouldn’t give away brand new performances from Harrison, Carrie or Mark for the world.

Jamtia, Darth Downunder and Strongbow like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Hell no.

If JJ knocks it out of the park, sans nostalgia, this trilogy could surpass the OT in quality.

chris hayes and Strongbow like this.
  6. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I went with yes. Perhaps if the movies had been much better I might have agreed that they're a great asset. As they are...no.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I mean, if someone doesn't like them, they don't need to watch them. They don't have to put it in their headcanon. I-VI does a good job of feeling like a closed story, given it was for a time. But if they do like them, such as myself, there's no harm to it, so

jaqen, Strongbow and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  8. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    No, Star Wars is in a better place now than it was five years ago. I was not a fan of the prequels or the EU (though one novel did help me overcome a bout of insomnia - kudos to the writer) but have enjoyed the new movies and comics for the most part. I like the feeling that we are entering unchartered territory - the first Star Wars films that will be unconnected to the Skywalkers, and can't wait to be introduced to new characters who aren't variations of old ones and rehashed storylines.

jaqen likes this.
  9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    No -- but Star Wars could be better off without some of the ST instant-just-add-water film and writing critics/haters as well as some of the lucas purists.

Trying to remove the film from canon or redo it -- I don't know what those people are smoking, but I want some. Maybe I can go back in time and change some election outcomes

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Star Wars is still Star Wars regardless of thoughts and opinions on the ST. Could the ST have been better? Could it have been worse? Yes to both. They could have made fresh and original films that went new places instead of rehashing the old ones. They could have also gone even worse places, and had emperor Luke or something stupid like that.

Either way, it is what it is and will never be able to tarnish my love for the original portion of the franchise.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  11. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    For me, if the EU hadn't been wiped out with the creation of TFA I wouldn't have gotten into the books and comics as much as I am now. On top of that, TLJ is potentially my favorite SW movie and I also loved RO.

Outside of my own opinion, it looks like audiences are loving these new entries into the saga (despite the loud minority). So, my answer is a big, definite NO.

Strongbow likes this.
  12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yes, absolutely. The ST ruins the PT and the OT, ruins them to the point that they are unwatchable because you can't get out of your head now that everything they do in them is for nothing, because Luke turns out to be an immoral wretch who conspires to kill a sleeping youth for thinking bad thoughts. It also shows TPTB at LFL can tell only one story, a remake of the OT. i did not like the old EU either, although at least Luke was still a hero in it.

The ST has ruined SW for me. I am not planning on going to see Solo, I only saw TLJ once and I will not see it again, and I'm currently getting rid of all my SW collectables.

ezekiel22x and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  13. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell no! I've got to see more of the old gang and had the pleasure of seeing some wonderful new characters and places. I love the PT, R1, OT and ST. Long live SW!

14. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Perhaps you're looking for the "Over-reactions to The Last Jedi" thread...

;)

15. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    The old EU was already giving us new characters and stories with enough variety to please most people, although YMMV, so the ST isn't doing anything new in that regard. The only real thing the ST has done is to make Star Wars popular among general audiences again.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Nope. I can't watch the previous movies now. The entire franchise is pretty much ruined for me.

17. Eternal_Jedi

Sep 12, 2001
    I'm not normally one to be dismissive of other people's opinions, but that's just absurd.

Just like it's possible to still enjoy watching The Matrix by pretending that Reloaded, Revolutions, and The Second Renaissance never existed.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Revolutions is great, though. Much better than TLJ.

19. Eternal_Jedi

Sep 12, 2001
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Personally, I put it in the same category as Highlander II.

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Agreed. It always surprises me that more fans just don't take that option. It's like people feel forced to stick around and hate SW.

Make your own canon. If you like the old EU, stick with that. If not, ROTJ is the end. Hell maybe ROTS is the end for PT only lovers. We're all free to pick and choose whatever we like.

21. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I'm overall pleased with the ST. I thought I'd seen my final theatrical Star Wars movie after the Clone Wars movie in 2008. I'm beyond pleased to have these continuing adventures and have enjoyed the way they've brought the old characters back in while they still could (even though we'll never see Carrie's final performance in IX).

So, the ST absolutely should exist. It's essential viewing already.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  22. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    I love anything that is star wars.. so if ST is the only thing we get im fine. But I wish they didn't invalidate all of the OT ending and instead explored something else like the ancient times hinted in last jedi

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

23. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I can't get what they've done out of my head. I can't watch ANH now and not think about how Luke ends up a total failure and an immoral wretch.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Irrelevant, the ST exists, and we all have to deal with that fact. If you like it, great. If you don't, ignore it. Locking.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Darth_Articulate and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.