main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga (Poll) Your Favorite Star Wars Planets.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, May 12, 2013.

?

Your Favorite Star Wars Planets.

1. Alderaan

25 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Naboo

49 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Hoth

23 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Corellia

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Coruscant

80 vote(s)
    54.1%
  6. Dagobah

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Endor

24 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. Goenosis

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  9. Kamino

36 vote(s)
    24.3%
  10. Others

60 vote(s)
    40.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Let's discuss and vote for our favorite SW planets. In this poll, you can choose two of your favorite planets and if you want, you tell a little bit about why.

So, come and vote for your favorites!

PS! All those planets that are named under, are mentioned in one of the six films and SW: TCW, if they are not your favorites, you can vote "Others" and then you can write which "Others" they are.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well...

Tatooine, of course. A lot seems to happen there, for some reason.

DurararaFTW and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  3. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Oops, I picked only one: Kamino, because I thought it was cool. It kinda reminds me of Manaan from KOTOR, and I always liked to think that there were heaps of interesting things under the ocean.

I also liked Tatooine, but mainly the way it was in TPM. I didn't much like the Tatooine as displayed in the OT.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think my favourite planet is Utapau. I mean, I'd love to spend time on Naboo (hopefully, if we wise up in time and act accordingly, the Earth will become more like Naboo, and less like Tatooine or Hoth), but Utapau just has me, man... has me. Just on naming grounds alone, I think it's cool how Lucas had this planet in his original notes, and kept meaning to use it, but saved it for ROTS. And that's funny, since "Utapau" looks/sounds like "Utopia", and it's wedged into a film that depicts a state of reverse Utopia. Second, well, the look of it is fabulous. The skyline, the sinkholes, the architecture, the shrubbery along the rocks... everything. Seeing Obi-Wan's small ship flying into the distance, to descend into one of the sinkholes, makes for a moment of opulent Science-Fiction brilliance; it may be my favourite wide shot in the saga. And again, its placement in ROTS is excellent. It makes for the perfect setting: for rest/retreat, for battling a four-armed cyborg baddie, for an epic war scenario, for running around on a dragon, for plummeting into water (I give Obi-Wan 8.5 for that dive), and for resurfacing, sneaking in the shadows, and living to fight another day against the now-evil Galactic Republic! I'm sure there are many arresting archaeological finds to be made on Utapau; the planet appears to have much of its natural rugged beauty intact. I thrill to the singular design. Utapau it is!

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Kamino. Reminds of Ireland. I like the mood set by not only the environment, but the tones & "color" used.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    My favourites were Tatooine, Utapau, Felucia, Naboo, Coruscant and Kamino.

Hurricanejedi likes this.
  7. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Corellia and Alderaan, certainly. I've always wanted to see more of those two. I was very sad we didn't get a chance to spend time on Alderaan in the Prequels before it blew up.

8. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Mmm...Tatooine. Wild West and Middle East merging in every cut, like a wasteland Pangaea. In the desert you can remember your name. I had the chance to travel through Death (Darth?) Valley a few years ago and visit all the filming sites, from Ben's overlook to the dunes to the road to Jabba's palace, and best of all Artoo's canyon, pictured by yours truly below. FYI, that shot of the Jawas carrying him up to the sandcrawler is 180 degrees away from the establishing shot/pan down into the valley, all they had to do was turn the camera around.

[​IMG]

If Star Wars is our sky-mirror, these real-world sites (Guatemala (Tikal!), Tunisia, Italy) might be portals. Or at least rifts in the big 'ole projected flow of consciousness we're caught in as collective victim-veterans of the War Star. Powerful stuff, never miss an opportunity to go.

Cryogenic and Ingram_I like this.
  9. Hurricanejedi

Hurricanejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2013
    I really like Coruscant based on all the nefarious dealings that go on there. You can get lost in the levels etc. Tatooine as well. I like Shili as i like Togrutians (is that right for the plural?, never use it before im guessing)

10. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, Endor (moon), of course. Totally. I'm a Northern California kid, so that one goes without saying. My other favorite is a toss-up between Tatooine (for reasons StarWarsVerses highlighted) and Geonosis. I dig Geonosis for being particularly unpretty. It's a boy's planet. It's got dirt and bugs and robot factories. It's like a cross between Barsoom (pre-Disney version) and Altair IV -- practically beaming with '50s sci-fi.

xezene and Cryogenic like this.
  11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Definitely Kamino for me. I've always had a weakness for rain (be it in real life or in film) and Kaino delivered that in spades. Combine the planet's unique and unparalleled atmosphere with its beautifully stylized architecture, striking imagery (especially during the reveal of the clones and the Obi-Wan vs Jango fight), and just the planet's general overall weirdness and you have a recipe for intrigue and fascination.

I get chills every time Obi-Wan lands on the planet, and I'm in awe every single second we spend on it as viewers.

Cryogenic and Ingram_I like this.
  12. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    That's interesting. I always got "Utah". It kinda has the same sandstone look to it, along with deep canyon lakes and whatnot. Also, under religious persecution, the Mormons fled the eastern states with Utah territory as their safe-haven of sorts. But maybe I'm stretching the analogy a bit with that one. Who knows.

13. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    I have to admit, Kamino does have that future-noir, watery, ambient feel to it that is very appealing. Everything is so clean, and wet on the outside. A good place for introverts.

Cryogenic and bstnsx704 like this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Why do people like Tatooine? Seems like a horrible place to live or visit. Hot and dry, sand everywhere, and ruled by crime lords...

The Hellhammer and Hurricanejedi like this.
  15. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    Tattoine is for people who don't want to be found. Why do you think Obi-wan Kenobi exiled himself there after his duel with Anakin/Vader.

16. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    My favorite on this poll list are Alderaan, Coruscant, and Geonosis. Alderaan's beautiful landscape at the end of ROTS is stunning and has such great detail to it. I love the concept of Coruscant and how the entire planet is made up of billions of buildings. I enjoy that a planet is the "capital" of the galaxy, it just gives a more futuristic feel. I picked Geonosis as well because I like how Lucas threw in a second desert planet that wasn't too similar to the one already made. Tatooine is more of a poverty-stricken desert while Geonosis is more like ruins.

17. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I voted for Naboo and Endor for their scenic beauty, and Kamino because I thought the cloners and their city looked cool.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Coruscant. I would live there. The visuals are just too awesome. It's the New York of the galaxy.

19. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Love Coruscant--it just seems like it would be a thrilling place to live with all the urban activity going on. Also love Kamino for the reasons mentioned above--that sequence in AotC is just very striking visually (Kamino is also one of my favorite places to fight when playing Battlefront II). I also checked the box for "others" for Felucia...we only got a quick glimpse of it in ROTS, but I would have loved to have seen more of it...it's the planet that seems the most "otherworldy/alien" to me:

[​IMG]

Valiowk, Circular Logic and Cryogenic like this.
  20. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    One vote for Coruscant, it’s definitely the best.

I also checked others, which include:
    Anoth: It’s kind of a horrifying, yet adorable testament to how much Luke loves his nephews and niece, especially Anakin Solo. It’s the number one place in the New Republic you do NOT want to mess with, at least the most fortified and classified planet, which is cute considering it only has Winter and the kids as occupants.

Bast Castle Vjun because how is Vader’s headquarters not awesome, also acid rain ftw.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's an absolute crime that Tatooine is not one of the specific choices on the poll

obi-rob-kenobi4, Swarley and Dredalus like this.
  22. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    New York of the galaxy. I love that!

Cryogenic likes this.
  23. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    "Not like here. Here everything is soft...and smooth."

*Ingram leans in to kiss Alpha*

Han Burgundy, bstnsx704 and Dredalus like this.
  24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Now, *this* is picture-taking! It looks like a great rift between, well, story topographies. Or a cooling, condensing Mustafar.

The road to Jabba's palace? That's just hilarious, somehow. Imagine just stumbling on that, one day! It'd be like being in "The Wizard Of Oz" meets "Power Rangers" (you know how they kept re-using that same rocky location for every damn episode in the series?).

It's hard to see where these rifts start and end.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/EVA_Pod

No, no. That's good! Utah is also a wet dream if one is seeking dinosaur bones or has a taste for the prehistoric. I neglected to mention that aspect: the primordial creatures that flank the sinkholes. And it was a dino-themed movie that got the prequel madness rolling in the first place.

OOOH.... now, you've got me with that one. I love that briefest of glimpses of Felucia we're permitted to experience!! Autumnal, muggy, and yes, alien, with hints of something exotic breaking through. The distorted, translucent stamens of those crystalline flowers (or, indeed, the worm-like projections growing nearby) are also like an organic (sinusoidal) reprise of the big transformer pylons seen in the former tableau moments before Ki-Adi-Mundi is downed on Mygeeto. The colour scheme is actually quite similar to a wide shot of the Jedi Temple earlier in the movie. I like to think that this panorama -- in addition to its picturesque beauty -- embodies the fungoidal funk that has sprung up around the Jedi's machinations. It's a very Lucasian technique; and it has that grubby, seedy aspect you might find in a picture by one of the "Davids": Cronenberg, Fincher, and Lynch. This part-matches it, amongst other things, with the gloop on the viewing windows of the Invisible Hand (Spielbergian shot with the camera panning in at the end of the crash-landing), the gunk on the floor of the Jedi Temple itself, and the tiny platforms, as seen from above, ringing the inside of the sinkhole Obi-Wan descends to, clinging to the rock like lichen. Finally, with its hints of forested blue-green bioluminescence, and concretized manifestations of the military-industrial complex crushing the surrealistic landscape flat, you can feel James Cameron's "Avatar" dawning in these killer (and, indeed, killing) shots ("Avatar" was also, er, shot with the same series of cameras).

"Only a Jedi could have erased those files."

Circular_Logic, bstnsx704 and Seagoat like this.
  25. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    It’s definitely worth noting that Revenge of the Sith predates Avatar, Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and Oz: The Great and Powerful. Felucia is a planet that passes by ever-so-briefly, but I can’t help but think that, in the process, Lucas and Co. once again blazed some trails: to go so psychedelically bizarre with a pure CG world that indeed evokes some drug-induced, Victorian era, land of the giants fantasy that’s also part…uh…I don’t know. I honestly don’t know what the hell they were thinking (or taking) when they came up with this one. It’s like 'Planet Gummy Worms' or something.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Cryogenic like this.