main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Polls in Film Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gay-LenKenobi, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
  2. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Nathan, I have told you I love you before, haven't I?

:D

3. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    So, who has the best wrinkles in the OT?

:D

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks. [jakelloyd]YIPPEE!!!!![/jakelloyd]

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Your HTML is showing, Salty.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Too bad it isn't real HTML. :p

7. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Oh, thank the Maker. Come to my arms, Nathan! :D

8. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Sorry, Queenie was here first. ;)

9. tyronen

tyronen Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002

I only found this thread now, after finding the "Create Poll" option had mysteriously vanished.

I don't agree with the decision made. Yes, some polls are frivolous, but that applies to all threads, polls or not. And why should polls that people do enjoy viewing and voting in be closed because of those that aren't as well-liked?

If you don't like polls, there is a very simple solution....don't click on it!

I see that most people posting in this thread didn't like polls, but I'd guess that those who DO like them didn't know about this thread until it was too late.

You'd think that a discussion about removing polls from a forum would take place IN THE FORUM AFFECTED, no?

And - why kill polls completely? Why not have a special polls-only board, one where non-moderators can post as well?

Just what is the beef people have with polls anyway? They're interesting, and they let lurkers express an opinion without having to write a post if they don't want to. Plus it's easier to read a simple bar graph than thumb through pages of "I liked it!" "I didn't!" posts in a thread.

Please, reconsider.

-tn

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think the answers to each point you made lie in assorted posts throughout this thread.

11. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Why not have a special polls-only board?

We do. [face_plain] Good to know everyone visits Census.

They are annoying because, as you admit, they don't promote discussion. You just vote and leave. And, as this is a discussion forum, that should be the intent of threads.

Why not just ignore them? Becuase there are only so many slots on the first page. When actually interesting topics get pushed back to the 2nd or 3rd page because there are 8 polls on the first page that contain little to no discussion, then it is a problem.

If you want to get an opinion and you have come to a message board to get it, you are gonna have to read messages. Every single poll I've seen would have been fine if not better as a normal thread.

Take KW's advice. Read this thread in its entirety. One of the 2 dissenters was only upset because his "Who do you want to see naked?!" polls were closed.

12. tyronen

Apr 10, 2002

I did read this thread in its entirety before posting, and the only real reasons I've seen for removing polls were "they're annoying", "too many frivolous ones", and "threads are better". As I said above, I disagree with all three reasons.

And:

Why not have a special polls-only board?

We do. Good to know everyone visits Census.

No, WE don't. Only moderators are allowed to post in Census.

One of the reasons I started hanging out in JC in the first place was the poll feature, and I enjoyed posting and reading polls. It hardly seems fair to remove them because some people didn't like them.

As I said before, I doubt that most people who only visit the movie boards were even aware of this thread's existence. I haven't seen any threads complaining about polls on those boards.

I realize that an polls forum open to all might well get a huge number of posts, but that only testifies to its likely popularity. And couldn't frivolous polls be policed the same way frivolous threads are in the other boards?

Polls are too much fun to be dispensed with completely. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

-tn

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    No, WE don't. Only moderators are allowed to post in Census.

If you have a good poll idea, contact a moderator. That's how it's intended to work, I believe.

I quote Gay-Len here:

Why not just ignore them? Becuase there are only so many slots on the first page. When actually interesting topics get pushed back to the 2nd or 3rd page because there are 8 polls on the first page that contain little to no discussion, then it is a problem.

Major reason for the closure of polls.

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    YES, we do. You just have to ask a mod to post it for you so that it isn't overwhelmed. PMing a mod to have them create it for you takes just as much time as it does to make it yourself.

I doubt that most people who only visit the movie boards were even aware of this thread's existence. I haven't seen any threads complaining about polls on those boards.

This board is here for forum complaints and changes. THAT is why there are no other threads anywhere else complaining. Because they need to be posted here. I created this one and many people said they wanted the polls removed. The powers that be agreed. They have removed polls in other forums in the past and they must have felt the decision was benefitial so they did the same to the rest of the movie boards.

The admins and mods gave us a place to voice concerns, but they can't make everyone come here. If people aren't aware it exists, it isn't anyone's responsibility to make them aware or go out and ask for eveyone's individual opinion. If they want a say in what does or doesn't happen around here, this is the place they do it. The mods aren't going to come to them. The fact that no one else seems to have looked for a place to complain suggests they don't care enough.

And couldn't frivolous polls be policed the same way frivolous threads are in the other boards?

You mean locked? Yes they were handled that way. But that doesn't teach anyone to not make any more frivolous polls. It doesn't change the fact that every poll works just as well as a regular thread. If people don't want to take the time to share theirs thoughts in text form, then a message board is not the place for them.

It hardly seems fair to remove them because some people didn't like them.

Nor would it be fair to keep them when all the people who have spoken up said lose them.

I took one look at your recent posts and now I know why you are upset. 15 of your last 25 posts have been polls you started. You aren't contributing much, just starting polls.

Favorite TPM scene
    Death scene (if shown) you look forward to the most
    Favorite PT crew member
    Favorite Federation/separatist droid
    What addition would you MOST want to see on the DVD?
    How did you first see the OT?
    Funniest dialogue (TPM)
    ROTJ: funniest dialogue
    ESB: funniest dialogue
    ANH: funniest dialogue
    Worst engineering in Star Wars
    Favorite planet/moon
    Best Alien Species
    Best Imperial soldier
    Best monster

I think I've said enough.

15. tyronen

Apr 10, 2002

15 of your last 25 posts have been polls you started. You aren't contributing much, just starting polls.

So now apparently starting a poll isn't "contributing".

I give up. The attitude of the moderators of this forum just strikes me as overly harsh, far too quick to lock threads, ban users, and take away features. And then make snide remarks at anyone who objects.

It's taking away the fun. I'm not going to hang out here anymore. Neither I nor my socks will post again. Goodbye.

-tn

16. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Return polls to MISC and Lucasfilm Projects.

If you don't like POLLs stay out of MISC.

And yeah, nobody goes to CENSUS.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    And yeah, nobody goes to CENSUS.

Guess that means people will have to start going more. There isn't a virtual brick wall around it.

18. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    If you don't like POLLs stay out of MISC.

Hardly a solution. And so very mature. [face_plain]

19. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Stay out of Misc.?! But that's where the Blue Yoda Society is! Whatever would I do? :_|

*Ahem*. If nobody goes to Census, then do something about. Set an example for people to follow. There are a lot of great polls in there, so you're missing out.

20. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Actually the very reason that this thread is pointing out, is the reason that people don't go to CENSUS.

TOO MANY POLLS!

Seriously, staying out MISC, is not that hard. Why not have polls there? If you don't like a poll, don't respond to it, and it will sink down quickly.

"Hardly a solution. And so very mature."

So getting rid of polls, is the solution. Yeah thats very mature. If you don't like something that some others might, get rid of it.

This is a FAIR Solution, that most should be happy about. Keep Polls out of Episode 3, AOTC, TPM and Classic Trilogy Forums. Keep them in LucasFilm Projects and MISC.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    If you don't like something that some others might, get rid of it.

Yes, that's usually how it works. Many people expressed their desire to see polls canned, and that's what happened.

Seriously, staying out MISC, is not that hard. Why not have polls there? If you don't like a poll, don't respond to it, and it will sink down quickly.

Because it's not about polls. It's about discussion.

22. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Why not have polls and discussion?

And I hardly think, that most people didn't like polls. Most people also haven't responded to this thread.

23. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I have not seen any negative reaction in the EP3 NS or YJC forums to the polls getting yanked. have you seen anything like this elsewhere?[/color]

24. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Actually perhaps, an even better idea would be to have a new forum in "Star Wars films" called Movie Census, only relating to the films in particular and nothing else. Let users post polls, as opposed to Moderators.

25. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]DM13 makes a good point. I think that would satisfy almost anyone. ;)[/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.