main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poor Casting... The Real Problem with the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by hear+soul, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I was thinking... If Hayden and Portman weren't such weak actors, the Prequels would be alot better. I mean, the plot really is decent. While the romance was weak, I think other actors could have delivered the lines much better.

Yes, the two of them had their moments, but I really feel they had poor overall performances and brought down the movies.

Also, SLJ didn't do so hot in the movies.

The little anakin wasn't too great either.

Was it, in fact, the casting that was the downfall of the prequels?

edit: lock if need be... *sigh*

Strilo edit: We have enough of these threads.

2. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    It's not just the casting that's the problem. What plummets the movies even more is the screenplay.

3. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    But I feel like other actors could have performed the script/screenplay better.

Even with a moderate screenplay, great actors could have turned these movies into an equal of the originals.

4. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Hayden and Portman are extremely talented, Golden Globe winning/nominated actors. Go watch some other films with them.

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    It's not the actors' fault, it's not the script's fault, it's just an old fashioned childish romance just how Lucas wanted.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't think so, then I don't have any problem with the prequels.

7. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Everyone gave a great performance I think. Problem was everyone had there own thoughts on how they thought is "should" have been done. The cheesy romance between Padme and Anakin is a prime example. Can't say I thought it was the best thing in the movie, but it was the way Lucas wanted it. And it works in the context of the film. The scoundrel and the princess I thought was a little more interesting, but let's face it, the dialouge wasn't really any better. Why does anyone really care, these movies are meant to be told visually more than anything.

If there is anyone I'd say that was poor casted it was Jake Loyd. Now I know that I may sound like i'm contradicting myself but here me out. Hayden understood his part and what george wanted. Yes he was a whinny little padawan, but that's what he was supposed to be. But each time I watch TPM and I see little Ani I see that he's really really trying to act, but he just can't pull it off. Working with child actors is very difficult and overall I'd say that they probably could have found a better choice. If I were Lucas I would have gone an older route, I like having a young Anakin, but I think I would have cast a slightly older more mature actor to fill the role

8. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Sometimes it isn't necessarily finding a great actor, but finding someone you say to yourself, "That person is perfect for this part." In the originals, Harrison Ford was Han Solo, Carrie Fisher was Princess Leia, and Mark Hammill was Luke Skywalker. None of them ever won Academy Awards, but they were perfect for the part, and that is why we loved them.

In the prequels, I think Ewan was a perfect young Kenobi. I also think Liam Neeson was perfect for Qui-Gon. When I finished watching TPM, I didn't question those guys for those parts. Natalie who I think is a talented actress, for some reason wasn't perfect for Padme. I don't think she was bad in any of the movies, but IMO, I always thought they could've found someone better.

The toughest and most unfair opinion I feel was Hayden. For 20 years every Star Wars fan envisioned a young Anakin and how his personality was. So many people had so many pre-conceived ideas about him, I knew there would be people on both sides of whether they liked Hayden. It is just like The Duel at the end of ROTS, many people are split because we had such a long time to envision it, for some of us it didn't meet our expectations.

9. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Well said.

10. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I was thinking... If Hayden and Portman weren't such weak actors, the Prequels would be alot better. I mean, the plot really is decent. While the romance was weak, I think other actors could have delivered the lines much better.

Maybe. But both Hayden and Natalie have been better in other things. Wasn't Portman nominated for an Oscar?

Yes, the two of them had their moments, but I really feel they had poor overall performances and brought down the movies.

I agree.

Also, SLJ didn't do so hot in the movies.

I strongly agree.

The little anakin wasn't too great either.

Yeah. But he too had his moments - most of them when the lines were somthing other than absurd.

Was it, in fact, the casting that was the downfall of the prequels?

No. I blame Lucas, not the cast.

11. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    I have no complaint with the casting.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan...perfect!

Hayden is great. He brings such a vulnerability and sweetness along with darkness - it is a perfect blend. He brings to life the Anakin Skywalker that George Lucas envisioned so how is he miscast??

Natalie Portman, well, I find the character of Padme leaves me a little cold but I don't blame Natalie. Again, no other actress could have portrayed her any better.

The movies are a lot of fun and I wouldn't rather see anyone else in these roles, really. Its magic exactly as it is.

12. Darth_Stern

Darth_Stern Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2003
    The saddest part is that most of the so-called "bad acting" or "wooden lines" could be vastly improved with just a few frugal editing choices.

This is especialy true of Ep1 Anakin and Ep2 Anakin & Padme

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't see any problem with it the way it is.

14. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    cuppajoe said it best..
    the prequels are just fine.
    I'm sorry that you cannot enjoy them...

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The only casting choice that sticks out like a sore thumb is Natalie Portman. I can?t recall a single line delivery on her part where she managed to convey a hint of genuine emotion.

Other than that, I think the other major players did fair enough. I like Hayden?s Anakin portrayal, and McGregor worked wonders with the Obi-Wan role.

16. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005

I agree who wants shaft playing a star wars character.

17. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I think the casting was wonderful. Ewan is absolutely wonderful in this role, he really made it his won. In my mind now he is Obi-Wan. Natalie, unfortunately, did not have great lines all throughout. She sis great with what she was given, I think if GL had kept some of the stuff from the novelization in there, we would be liking her more. Now on to Hayden....I truly feel that he did a superb job with this role. In AOTC he was supposed to be whiny teenager, and he was!!!!!! He was only doing what he was paid to do. If you read hid older interviews in SW Insider he says how even he wanted to be darker right away, but really would he have been nearly as believable as Vader if we did not see him as a human first? Not a monster!! I think his portrayal of Anakin in ROTS was outstanding, THIS is why he was cast, he does dark very well. I realize that I am in the minority with this, but so be it...

The other thing I think is great is how none of the PT characters have been pigeoned into their SW roles, I believe they have all been nominated foe Golden Globes for other roles , have they not?

18. darthstoss

darthstoss Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    Worst Casting Choices

SLJ - Terrible in every sense
    Ahmad Best - Jar Jar could possibly have been tolerable had his voice not been so grating
    Jake Lloyd - couldnt pull it off
    Typho and Panaka

I agree that natalie portman didnt quite pull it off either but knowing how talented she is I wonder if anyone else could have brought her character to life. maybe had they ditched the queen voice it wouldnt have sounded so "wooden" She didnt bother me in AOTC or ROTS as much.

19. Hitman90

Apr 4, 2005
    All the golden globes could't change hayden's acting, people don't know what they want any more. I agee that in AOtC anakin should have been a little whiney but not to the point where he is crying in every scene theere is such a thing called anger it is not called crying in little temper tantrums.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    He cried -once-.

I thought he was good.

21. Hitman90

Apr 4, 2005
    Ok he cried once but there is a line between whiney and unnessecary complaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.