main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pope watch MMXIII

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    all i can say is the next pope better be either a Hilarius II or a Lando II because lets face it those are the best pope names and they're grossly underutilized

V-2, Ulicus , Summer Dreamer and 8 others like this.
  2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's more a movement specifically from the Italian cardinals, I think. From what I hear, they weren't exactly thrilled at having a Polish Pope and then a German one (covering thirty-five years between them).

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    A pope name Lando right after the dead riger for palpatine? Really?

no one is that much of a fan.

V-2 likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure popes usually pick the name(s) of saints. I don't recall a Saint Lando (or Hilarius, for that matter..) :p

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So that's what Jack Harkness's head looked like before it became huge and he took on the Face of Boe.

*I'm sorry, so sorry*

V-2 likes this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    V-2 likes this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    they didnt always do that shizz. apparently lando was just that dude's birth name and hilarius was just named hilary before he became pope. but now that they've died lando and hilarius are auto-canonized as saints so itd be totes legit

fun fact lando, who lived in the mid/late 900s, was the last pope to use a unique name until JPI in the mid/late 1900s. maybe in a thousand years we'll get another unique pope, but until then im pulling for lando II or hilarius II

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm surprised and disappointed that this thread did not have the title "Emperor Palpatine resigns."

V-2 likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the real question is how will this effect posting superstar OZK? if they replace ratzinger with a reformist latino or something will he finally be pushed into the arms of another denomination? if so, which one? eastern orthodoxy would seem the logical choice but i was just reading a thread from this very time in 06 wherein he expressed admiration for LDS doctrines, especially eternal marriage, to the point of suggesting he was considering joining that faith. might a reformist pope replacing ratzinger be the push ozk needs to finally accept his destiny and join the Mormon Axis of the senate, finally filling the youthful hole left by espaldaspalabras enlightenment and apparent apotheosis from the boards, and fulfilling the prophecies, thereby ushering in the final stage of End Times of the Senate?

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    May I suggest Pope Cageus Nicolas II:
    [​IMG]

Chewgumma, RC-1991 and Ender_Sai like this.
  15. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    are any of these guys even reformists?

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    If they select an American, I think his name should be Pope Superpope.

17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The next Pope:

[​IMG]

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm surprised Dolan (or any American Cardinal) is even considered an even remotely possible candidate given the sex abuse scandal in the US.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I hate Tim Dolan so he'd be the perfect Pope.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a somewhat difficult time imagining a Latino cardinal declaring, "Condoms for all! Gay people are fine!" My experience of Latino Catholics has been of them being more conservative, not less. But perhaps (hopefully) there are some who hang on to some of the more liberal leaning traditions of South America, who knows.

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    well your experience leaves a little to be desired then, chester. latino catholics are pretty much the best catholics. you'll note the brazilian from sao paulo is mentioned as being "conservative in his country, moderate elsewhere".

as for the actual candidates that one guy's got "liberation theology" in his blurb which is a good phrase to see but it says something about disapproving of their excesses which is a little "oh, **** off"

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I'm just going on the LA kind of conservative latino Catholics. Like I said, I'm guessing/hoping some people in more overall liberal countries in South America might be a bit different. But it doesn't tend to be true of, say, Mexico. Sadly there's a reason latinos in the area have the highest teen pregnancy rate.

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    anyways the deck is obviously stacked against/lacking to begin with any real reformers (from the perspective of outsiders), but you have to admit it would be amazing if they picked someone that forced ozk to find a new religion (again) and/or declare himself pope

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We should have Antipopes again. They were fun.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The time is right for Pope Guido Sarducci to shake things up