main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pope watch MMXIII

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 11, 2013.

1. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    You know that's not at all what I was saying. And way to paint all "people" with the same all-knowing brush. Maybe you should be Pope. ;)

I said above that the Church has itself become an exclusive institution, with a believe-all or -nothing approach. Maybe you could say that some people leave the Church because they value Christian values more than their religion. IMHO, the Catholic church (in my area, at least) could do a lot better at being Christ-like. :p

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    So I don't really care, and most of you know that, but I was really pulling for the black guy. I have a question. When the smoke from the magic papal chimney changes from black to white, is it unreasonable to hope that the pope would change from white to black?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if when the smoke came out, it would spell out "surrender Dorothy"?

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    What if when the smoke came out they slapped those ****s with a fine for polluting heavily within city limits

5. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    "People are this way" is a common way of expressing an idea that is felt to be generally true. Nobody expects that each individual has been accounted for when such a statement is made.

It's just meant to provoke thought. It's not on a par with a physical law that can be universally applied.

I would think that that would go without saying...

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

My initial optimism is starting to fade pretty quickly. He's made reforming the Curia a priority, but I just don't see him being the type to get that done, that humility that makes him so likable is a bit out of place if reforming the Church's administration is a priority. The stories about his role during the military dictatorship in Argentina would seem to back up my concern, evidence that he might tend to back down from a fight. I have a feeling he may be like JP2 in that he's very well liked, but the Church continues to crumble during his papacy.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You know, I was watching the first few episodes of Season 2 of Star Trek DS9, and when I heard the news about the new pope and all the church politics and whatnot I suddenly had this feeling of deja vu...

Stackpole_The_Hobbit likes this.
  8. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  9. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    That's all for the good, but I hope the majority of Catholics are leaving because the Church is sheltering child rapists.

Stackpole_The_Hobbit and V-2 like this.
  10. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I have high hopes for our new Holy Father, I wouldn't expect him to receive a lot of support here but I think he has the humility that is needed in the Church from the top on down.

11. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    The new Pope is about as "black" as the church would ever get. Hes light skinned enough to be accepted by racist old white people so they wont feel bad hanging his picture up in their homes but "ethnic" enough to almost seem like something different.

and to think he was sold as something new cause he was from south America.

12. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Well that was bitter and insulting.

V-2 likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yes thats LandoTheCapeCalrissian. i take it you havent met?

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Lol. I love this website.

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    He's an Italian*. I'm happy cuz that's the way it should be. Why shouldn't the bishop of an Italian city be Italian?

* An Italian born in South America.

16. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I think your post is dumb and here's why:

1) White people do live in South America and Pope Francis is one of them.
    2) You ought not to use the word "ethnic" with quotation marks. What do you even mean by that?
    3) As so often happens in life, in trying to point out other people's flaws, you have simply shown a light on your own.

I'm writing this last sentence because I feel like there should be one after a numbered list. that is all.

V-2 likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    On a lighter note, the Pope's installation will be tomorrow. I think the Mass starts at 8am UK time. I might watch if I'm up early enough.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the last time I was up that early for something televised in Europe was the Royal Wedding. Kate and WIlliam's that is.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you get EWTN TV I think they will be repeating it during the day for US viewers. I'm sure the news will show highlights as well.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But it's much more fun watching something live, and occassionally sleep - deprived.:p

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, if you're in the US, your clocks have gone ahead. Ours haven't. So at this point UK time is 4 hours ahead of ET, not 5.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Meh. I'm not going to watch until they bring back good 'ol papal coronations. This inauguration business is a waste of time.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've never seen a papal installation so I want to watch.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that EWTN have changed their starting time for coverage. If you're going to watch there it now starts at 7:30 AM UK time. Time guesstimate for the whole ceremony is about 3 hours.