main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Popular Foods in GFFA?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by QUIGONSGAL, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUIGONSGAL

QUIGONSGAL Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Okay, can someone send me a list of popular foods in the GFFA? I'm writing a fic and I need to know what's good to eat and what's a yuck inducer.

I know that they have blue milk, and chocolate, and that bantha is a source of meat.

Do they have chicken, pork, fish, peanut butter, pizza, tomatoes, potatoes, potato chips, french fries, burgers, lo mein, spaghetti, meatballs, orange juice, apples, chewing gum, and other lovely stuff like that?

Also, what about other necessities? Like for women during that time of the month? What do they use? The same stuff as us, or something else altogether?

Hair care products, deodorant, band-aids, and other stuff like that there?

2. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Food

Hope this helps. :)

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The link anakin_girl gave you is a good one! Wookipedia is always where I turn to for such things.

Here is a link to an old discussion thread that discusses Medical Care in GFFA that might help you.

Also, Here is a thread call Earth words and their Star Wars equivalents.

Also, what about other necessities? Like for women during that time of the month? What do they use? The same stuff as us, or something else altogether?
    As far as I can remember I don't think that's been addressed. I would be willing to guess that there would be an injection or something that would stave it off until one was ready to be pregnant.

If you can't find something, you can always make it up!

4. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    To chime in from a pedantic foodie's point of view, here... when I get stuck on 'well, what are they eating?', I go and watch a show like No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. I think the biggest trap that a fanfic writer can fall into is assuming that all food in this galaxy is exactly like the microcosm of stuff that's around them and available daily. And there are some very common foods, like rice and noodles, that just don't really make it as part of the regional cuisine where I am (the South is more all about some fried whatever and potatoes).

Looking at what street food is like in other parts of the world, you'll be able to pick up some consistencies - Grilled/Fried Thing On A Stick, Meat/Veggies Wrapped In Bread, etc. So draw on those patterns when looking at food in the SW universe. And keep in mind what you think is your bias versus what would be the bias of the characters: I may hate the idea of eating offal, but to Luke Skywalker, growing up in the desert where food is a limited resource and it's best to eat all the parts of the bantha you can, tongue and tripe and kidneys may be just plain delicious.

Another great site to look at is the food timeline: http://www.foodtimeline.org/ I always learn something new every time I go there. It may help you sort through things to find those consistent patterns. :)

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Just to add to what Harpalyce said, there are foods that are hugely popular in one country but not another, and the fact that offal was mentioned kind of prompted me to post this. In Scotland, for example, they eat haggis:
    Doesn't sound very appealing, does it? Well, having tried it I can honestly say that it is really good. Another dish from the UK is 'black pudding':
    It doesn't really appeal to me but my older brother likes it.

One final thing, while describing food it is often best to keep it simple. If a character is eating something that's like a Earth food it might be best to liken it to that Earth food rather than try and describe it. A flat bread smothered in tomato sauce and topped with a few vegetables and cheese and then baked is likely to be a pizza and a thick cut of meat is likely to be a steak whatever animal it's from.

As for the OP: Do they have chicken, pork, fish, peanut butter, pizza, tomatoes, potatoes, potato chips, french fries, burgers, lo mein, spaghetti, meatballs, orange juice, apples, chewing gum, and other lovely stuff like that?

I would imagine that they'd certainly have poultry, fish, root vegetables (like potatoes), meat based foods (like burgers, meatballs, and so on), fruits and by extension fruit juices, and probably pasta dishes too.

And I completely lost the lost with this post, so I doubt any of it makes sense.

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Karen Miller's book Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth has Bail Organa cooking some vegetable dish that sounds a lot like baked zucchini with sauce in a casserole. I don't remember what it's called though. The sequel has Anakin and Obi-Wan eating eggs for breakfast, although I'm not sure what animal the eggs came from.

I think that's a valid point about looking at the planet in question, the climate and how readily food would be available.

I don't know about peanut butter but I imagine they have some sort of nut butter there.

7. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I think an important thing is to not get hung up on overthinking it.

Unless you're like me, and you just LIKE thinking about it, lmao, as evidenced by my posting here again.

But a lot of fanfic is bringing what you're personally interested into it. In my case, food's pretty important to me. It's something I like thinking about a lot. So, I build that in to my characterization. If music's your thing, you might bring that to your stories - or whatever, really. Most of the time, your characters will just be thinking of food as food - something to get them through the day. Doubly so since most stories happen in times of war. You might find this interesting - it's a list of MREs from around the world: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/04/weekinreview/20100905_gilbertson.html :)

I think that you have to keep in mind the food's function and how that works as characterization, and then go to look around. Palpatine probably won't be noshing on burgers and fries, but instead bantha wellington and other such 'classy' food. But there's always that opportunity to have some little Imperial officer marvel at how his illustrious leader Darth Vader always wants peasant food like curries and simple noodle dishes for dinner instead of anything more high-class. ;)

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You might want to factor in the seriousness of the fic, like my 'Vader Orders' fix (which are here). Would Vader really eat these foods? I doubt it but it makes for funny fics. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.