main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Popularity and success of the PT evidence thread...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/10798...ars-gets-revenge-peoples-choice/#.Tua2QDBQv8I

Not only did this film get honorable showings at the prestigious cannes film festival it received the peoples choice award.

...of all things...the peoples choice award.

What saddens and frustrates SW fans is despite facts like this happening and reoccurring time and again with the first three installments for the saga people just keep quickly forgetting and feel they need to (or want to) pretend that their was nothing but disappointment associated with the first 3 episodes of the saga. when in reality there was almost no negativity ever associated with ANY of the 3 films aside for a few pop culture memes/jokes.

The only real, actual notable negativity that even existed was from the people who were shouting down, attacking and basically trolling all the people who loved the films. Basically every demographic under 25.

Another example would be the official national gallup poll proving most people in the whole country called TPM "great" or "excellent" or "good".

http://www.gallup.com/poll/3757/public-gives-latest-star-wars-installment-positive-rave-reviews.aspx

Yet people still like to play into the trend of pretending that these films are synonymous with negativity. Academy award nominated films that have more than proven themselves time and again to be timeless and totally multi-generational.

Just look at the facts and reality like this :

That was simply the genuine zeitgeist of the time. That was the reality of being alive in the year 2005.

Every time any of the PT films came out there were plenty of good reviews like this from plenty of critics and of course some were bound to be mixed as well considering the all out mania behind the subject.

Just look at what 1999 was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=AxlfkSXmks0

And now we have the success and anticipation of the 3D re-releases:

I just dont know what else needs to happen with these films to break this totally unfair false history that gets labeled on it by people who only want to ster the pot of bias towards them simply because "they are the new ones maan":rolleyes:

Does anyone remember that (now famous) conan o'brien special where he sent the insult comic dog to the round the block lines of people waiting to see AOTC?

This thread is for posting reminders of the popularity and success of the PT. News facts. Videos. Polls. Positive reviews and so on.

This thread is for fond memory's and positive nostalgia. We had lots of fun anticipating and enjoying these films lets look back on some of that now...

Samnz and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  2. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Entertainment tonight coverage:

lol @ shaquille o'neal

Samnz likes this.
  3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1180&p=.htm

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "About as much fun as you could possibly have with your clothes on" - Spot on, dude!

This thread fills me with a warm, fuzzy feeling
    /LM

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    All of the Star Wars films, prequel films included, were a blast to anticipate, watch, and discuss with fans. And they continue to be.

So when I complain about parts of the prequels, it's more complaining that the cherry was missed on top of a very large and delicious sundae, not that it was a entirely bad experience. Far from it.

That's my take anyway.

6. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I remember nothing but positivity on the PT when I was growing up. I was 6, 9, and 12 when each of the films came out, and all I heard from the kids at school (including myself) where very positive things. Since my family did not have internet until late '05, I had no way of reading reviews from people online and pretty much missed out on the "bashing" that went on at the time. I never even knew until later that some people considered the PT to be "terrible" and lesser than the OT. My friends and I just enjoyed them like they were the greatest movies ever. I REALLY miss those innocent days..... (Just wanted to get that off my chest. ;))

Here's a vid about the Blu Ray's where we see AOTC getting a little love.

7. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey, that's really cool hearing about the feelings of those who were kids when the prequels came out. Kinda puts all the hater BS into perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

What you said in your post is exactly how it was with me when I was 10,13 and 16 when the PT was coming out. I remember everyone (even people in my schools who were rough necks) liked them, watched them and could all talk about them. They were in my year book all 3 times (99,02,05). And I went to 3 different schools at that time, one which as on the other side of the state. You saw PT costumes every single halloween. You herd about them getting academy award nominations. You saw them on your cereal boxes and on the covers of your newspapers every day. You saw it on jay leno and conan and access hollywood and ET and MTV.

I didn't get permanent internet in my house until late 2003 and that was THE VERY FIRST TIME I ever heard of or saw of ANY negativity regarding these films. Believe it or not it wasn't even that heavy until after the dvd set came out in 04. Thats what gave the hateboys the boost and reinforcement that they needed at that point.

People forget that at that time (that wonderful time) it was before all the fads started coming in of what were basically copy cat franchises like pirates of the caribbean and the matrix trilogy and harry potter and most of LOTR ([face_sick]) I dont care what anyone says the fact is that there are these things called other production company's and this thing called money and when they all saw what TPM did to the world when it came out they all wanted to go down that kind of franchise path in order to get SW like numbers. Roger Ebert himself explained many times that it was the reemerging success of SW that inspired all of the new franchise movies in hollywood.

When ROTS came out it absolutely sealed the deal and won over even the loudest internet fanboy voices for a long while. The film practically saved hollywood single handedly that whole year (which was the worst for hollywood in history until ROTS came along).

It wasn't until some point around 2007 or latter when the pathetic RLM a**hole came out of nowhere and got himself internet famous the most sure fire way a person can get himself internet famous. And no one seemed to care when all the proof started coming in about how 90% of his videos were all bias exaggerations and flat out cheep lies. Even after a fan took the time to make a 180 page word for word rebuttal and let it spread through the internet for free. People just didn't care. It was too much fun to join in on stepping on something and trying to destroy something than simply being an enthusiast. It was too trendy. The propaganda was too funny and too well framed in jokes and forced memes in order to win people over and impress people.

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    That is too too true, RLM really turned every thing around, at least on the internet. but when I talk to teens and kids my age, we talk about mace windu awesomeness, how jar jar binks does/ doesn't suck. And how awesome the clone wars is! (if it wasn't for jar jar and the clone wars, i wouldn't be here!) And what not. But then when i get online, there's no place, but a few places like here, where you can talk about such awesomeness. Which gets annoying!

I said this a few times before but, we need to make a RLM like review with lots of comedy (though make sure it's not as offensive to certain people) One for each episode, and compare then to the originals, and other movies. And we could take alot of things from the rebuttal on this form, but it would need comedy. It wouldn't be for the old fans, but the new ones, so they don't jump on the hating fan wagon, like a few people i know have. And most of all, it would have to be done, PROFESSIONALLY! Not some fan ranting infront of the camera.

But then again, I don't know if that would even help the fan base.

I wish i got to see TPM in 3D. But at that time I didn't think it was good anymore because of all the trolls on the internet, and then i watched it with my friend who was introduced threw star wars on that day, and loved the movie. (he's not going to be a big time fan though) That's when I realized I should have begged my dad into taking me to the theater when it was out. It was then I knew TPM was just as good as the other 5. it may be my least favorite, but it's purely a classic.

I assure you, I will not miss the next 2 prequels in theaters. Maybe, if i can convince my parents to do so, i'll make sure of my loss of not watching TPM in 3D, but watching the others twice. Just maybe.

Oh and by the way, nice idea for a thread!

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    These two videos are from the official site itself and they show what an amazing year 2005 was for SW. They are PROOF of how energized and celebratory the fanbase was when ROTS came out and completer the saga:

http://starwars.com/watch/me3_journey1.html

http://starwars.com/watch/me3_journey2.html

Also:

When spike tv first began airing the whole Saga together for the first time in television history and in HD no less -another first!

There were star wars advertisements on bus stops and billboards all over the country over that as well as in europe basically all year long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=HU9kXPDdSVQ&NR=1

11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
  12. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Everyone recognizes the more high profile "famous" fan lines that went on all around the country during the release of Episodes 1,2, and 3 but people forget just how large the whole "fan line wait" phenomenon was during that time. The prequels were so dominant in our culture at that time that communities would organize large city by city line waits just for things like when the merchandise first went on sale or when the novelization of the films would be released in book stores. Whole shopping malls would hold "Star Wars party's".

Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight would cover huge toys r us midnight madness events. I cant seem to find the best ones but for now here is a great one for ROTS:

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    A great video of the opening of ROTS and the dark adult tone of ROTS:

PS: Look at how proud Ewan Mcgregor and the cast is after seeing the film for the first time. They pour of excitement and gratification.[face_blush];)

14. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
    and then came RedLetterMedia........

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    And it was awesome.

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    An excellent and new documentary on the innovations made so far in Hollywood because of SW: industrial light and magic: creating the impossible:

17. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Even outside of north america 14 years latter the UK moviestars and celebrity's attended widely covered high profile premiers of TPM 3D with red carpets and after party's the whole ten yards:

!

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Heres one from 1999, highlights include Liam Neeson talking about what a good director he thinks Lucas is and the news station making fun of people who wont be seeing TPM by going to a racetrack to find retired seiner citizens -lol!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=eBKfFycVjeI&NR=1

Old lady at the race track: Oh, well I like Darth Vader, which ones he in?[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.