main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Population of Droids in the GFFA?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueWompRat, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Does anyone know what a good estimate is? The story "Rust Never Sleeps", reprinted in Devilworlds #2 says that there are over 50 billion droids at work in the galaxy, does this sound like it could be feasable?

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    So few?

Maybe after the Vong get through with them...

-Paul

3. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    *searches for infinity symbol*
    Imagine how many microscopic organisms there are on Earth, when multiply it by a million.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd expect somewhere around ten times that number.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    HK-47 says the funniest lines in KOTOR. He calls Jawas miniture organics, all other sentients meatbags, and persistently expresses his desire to kill the meatbags.

6. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Devilworlds is Infinities, so we needn't trust this ridiculously small figure.

7. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    stupid, blasphmous machines!!!! [face_devil] :mad:

8. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Well,say there's a million droids per planet. (Not,including Coruscant,which would have way more) and say there's oh,Ten thousend planets in the SW galaxy.Then there would be approximently 10 billion droids in the galaxy.But,if you include Couruscant Which would probably have maybe,about 2 billion droids on it,then the total would be around 12 billion. :)

(I know it's probably higher,but I was just trying to come up with a figure. ;))

9. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    So what would be the ratio of droids to organics in the GFFA?

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    There's probably a higher percentage of droids militarily and on high tech planets given they're pretty much slave labor.

I'd say your figure is vastly understated.

Especially if you understand one ISD has, atleast, "hundreds" of mouse droids.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there's got to be an enormous amount of them, since you have to factor in the less advanced labor and service droids that probably work in groups of dozens to hundreds at least.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    So what would be the ratio of droids to organics in the GFFA?

No clue. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say probably 50:1 minimum. And as there are at least trillions of sentient organics....

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    *contemplates the SW version of Terminator or Matrix*

14. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    NO!

*forces zaps Darth-Paul*

Getting back to the subject, there's probably at least a hundred billion droids on Coruscant, given that there are trillions of sentient organic beings on Coruscant. Not to mention places like Telti and Balmorra, and Geonosis.

15. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    but there are also lots of backwater worlds where droids aren't common.. where manual labor is done by organic lifeforms..

while these planets might have some droids, they wouldn't necessarily be droid-heavy.. perhaps only the wealthy or companies and governments have droids..

plus i think there are a few worlds where they shun the use of droids... and probably are countered by worlds like Mechis III, which has nearly no bio-life, and all droids.

hmmm... at what point is a device considered a droid or not a droid -- is the key of being a droid autonomous programming + physical body? do they have to be self-aware? would the machine arms that construct the battle droids on Geonosis be considered droids.. or part of one big immobile factory droid?

16. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    If the Genosisan machine arms had some form of sentience or advanced independent decision making programming, then they'd probably qualify as droids.

I guess a droid differs from a cyborg as it is wholly inorganic or at least the brain is wholly inorganic.

17. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    If the Genosisan machine arms had some form of sentience or advanced independent decision making programming, then they'd probably qualify as droids.

Except some droids in the EGtD are just as simplistic as those devices.

18. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    Then under that definition and the EGtD, the Genosian mechanical arms would indeed be droids?

19. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    There's probably a higher percentage of droids militarily and on high tech planets given they're pretty much slave labor.

I'd say your figure is vastly understated.

Especially if you understand one ISD has, atleast, "hundreds" of mouse droids.

That's true.Just like there's probably several hunderd worker droids on one of the TF's core ships. (I mean like the kind you can see marching down the hallways and picking up battle droids pieces after the Gungen/droid battle.) :)

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    The robot arms may be as the seemed rather automonus(spelling please).

21. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    So, I guess in the end we're all in agreement that the 50 billion droids number from Devilworlds 2 is innacurate? Well, the comic did say "over 50 billion...", IIRC.

22. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Was that for in the galaxy or in the sector?

23. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Well, there have been a few droid revolts.

But 50 billion is way too small a number.

And there are several million inhabited worlds in the SW galaxy. Not all of them are as advanced as the GFFA, though.

24. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    The exact quote from the comic is "It is estimated that there are more then 50 billion droids currently at work throughout the known systems."

25. Quixotic_Jedi

Quixotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2003
    I guess a droid differs from a cyborg as it is wholly inorganic or at least the brain is wholly inorganic.

Hmm. That makes me wonder about things in shady categorizations, like HRD's, Synthdroids from Planet of Twilight, Cybernetic enhancements such as Lobot's, as well those subject to the B'omarr Order's brain transfer, the victims of the Ssi-Ruuvi that were put into droid bodies, the advanced species (for lack of a better term) of droids that Vuffie Raa was representative of, and even situations like Cray Mingla and Nichos Marr, who had their minds/souls/what-have-you put into droids.

On top of that, if one includes stories such as Tales of the Bounty Hunters, would the Death Star II be considered a droid, since one of the IG-88 units transferred into it? Or the Millennium Falcon for that matter, since it's reputed to have three droid brains jury-rigged together for its main computer?

It might affect the numbers based on how one classifies each.

EDIT: Actually, I can't back up the claim about the Millennium Falcon. I'll search for something to verify that either way, though.

Edit #2: From the WEG Star Wars Sourcebook for 2nd Edition, p. 41-44: "...[The ship's computer] contains three separate and distinct droid brains as slave computers and extra memory..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.