main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Portal 2: Now with PS3!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The first game is simply awesome.

2. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Played the first 3 hours of it last night, and YES IT IS GOOD, HOLY JEEZ. Of course ,i love the first game so that's that. I'm at a point in the story that's both bewildering and intriguing. I honestly don't know where they're gonna go with this. But in a very good way.

You should probably play the first game first though, not because this one would be hard otherwise but because it does assume you know some things about the series mythology, so to speak.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    What system is the first on?

4. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Mac or Windows, and i think xbox 360? not sure though. but both Macs and Windows.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes. The Orange Box is also available on 360 and PS3. I'm unsure if you can buy Portal stand alone on the consoles though. Maybe as downloads off XBL and PSN.

6. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Portal: Still Alive, which is a rerelease of Portal with some added levels, is on Xbox Live.

Got Portal 2 today. Haven't played enough to comment yet.

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    The only people who wouldn't like this game are probably the clincally deceased.
    The script is probably the sharpest I've ever heard, and the "Press Space to Talk" sequence at the start had me in tears. HOT MAN TEARS.

Co-op still to look forward too! Eeeee!

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'll let the internet at large take care of the praise this work of beauty deserves, so I'll just mention one thing that kinda bugs me

slightly irritated that one mention of Black Mesa was all the (overt?) connection we got to the Half-Life universe. especially since the middle part could have been Episode 3, atmospherically and possibly thematically. The Borealis yard doesn't count.

Well, that and... the commentary seemed a bit sparse, but now I'm truly nitpicking ;)

9. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Good god, Wheatley is more destructive than Chell! What kind of nanobot manages to wreck ten thousand cryo habitats!?

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    :(

Nah, I'd probably enjoy it if I played it, I just can't be bothered buying it. Too many other games to play.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I can't be bothered to buy it either.

One, money's tight.

Two, though I enjoyed the first one thoroughly and it is one of the best games ever made, but I didn't want a sequel. Yet...here it is. Soon enough folks will YouTube the hell out of this game and I'll eventually see all the funny bits.

Three, Valve has produced two Left 4 Dead games and now this...SO. WHERE. THE. @#$#! IS. HALF-LIFE 3???

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    True, not getting moar Half-Life sucks (it's the source of my complaint above), but seeing the scale, detail, atmosphere and story they can conjure up for what's essentially still "only" a puzzle game, gives me confidence that even after so many goddamn years, the next Half-Life has the potential to be much much more than just another installment. Ep2 was just as long ago as Portal and Portal 2 was worth the wait. Though I do hope Ep3 won't take another 4 years.

Only because you eat up all the mediocre garbage all the crappy publishers make easy money with. Didn't you get TFU2 the other day? WHY!?

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm about 3-4 hours in right now. JK Simmons' character is hilarious!

"Alright I've been thinking. When life gives yah lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down...with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" [face_laugh]

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Because I'm in the mood to play a modern SW game, and because I know I'll enjoy it. A portion of that sale went to Valve anyway, so they still win right?

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    :eek:

TBH, I'm more than slightly horrified at that statement, zacparis. Though I still stand by my reasons of not buying Portal 2 right now (but wouldn't mind doing so when it's heavly, heavily discounted), I figure that's probably a more enjoyable experience than TFU2. And how do you figure buying that smelly turd benefits valve?

16. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Trying to combine the words "good" with "modern star wars game" results in an oxymoron.

Just finished this anyway. What a ride! Now to decide which of my 20 Steam friends currently playing the game I'll pick on to do the co-op with.
    Lush soundtrack by the way, JoCo doesn't disappoint - also, I'm a big fan of The National's Lab Rat music, to the extent that I might have gone and bought it off Amazon.
    Pretty impressed by the interactive music scores too!

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Good lord people, calm yourselves.

1) I never tried comparing TFU2 to Portal, and I wasn't the one who brought it up, I was just defending my decision to purchase it.
    2) Valve benefits from the sale because they take a cut of all games bought via Steam.
    3) No one tried to combine the words "good" and "modern star wars game".
    4) Just forget I ever entered the thread and get back to Portal 2. :p

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Portal 2 puts you on the Super 8 train

Now this is how you do clever movie viral marketing. One of the most anticipated video games of the season, "Portal 2", has a neat little inclusion amongst its extras - an interactive trailer for "Super 8".

This isn't the usual 'interactive' nonsense as in a regular trailer with pop-ups or clickable featurettes. Rather it takes the first teaser trailer for the film and essentially turns it into a 'game level' with you being in the P.O.V. of someone onboard the train before, during and after the crash. Check it out below:

Youtube Link

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are Half Life 3. You're waiting for Half Life 4. :p

20. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Just beat the game. Easily the funniest and best ending to any game I've ever played, and that includes everything from Bioware.
    You have to launch Wheatley to the Moon to win. Seriously.

As well, you get a Turret musical chorus to send you off after GlaDOS kicks you out with the companion cube. And the Animal King turret plays base.

I'm in SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm sorry, but somehow I missed HL2: Ep.3. Why? Coz it doesn't exist! And at this point, I doubt it'll ever happen! After all this time, Valve might as well ditch the whole Episode and deliver an actual HL3. Just think of Eps. 1 & 2 as a nice little bookend to HL2 and prelude to an actual sequel.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Okay, I've got a crazy theory here, which includes spoilers, so read at your own risk.

I think that Chell could actually be in Ep.3 or Half Life 3, whichever comes first. Here is my reasoning.

#1: Portal 2 only takes place 27 years after Portal 1.

Since the relaxation vault is on a day timer, waking people up after 50 days, we can assume that the 9999 error that occurs when Wheatley arrives is also in days. This puts the clock at 27 or so years give or take. This seems a lot more realistic that the hundreds of years suggested, since the building is still somewhat intact. Nature can destroy ruins in a matter of decades, and given a hundred years even, an unmaintained facility would be wiped off the earth.
    Any information that is given to the player regarding time is either coming from Wheatley or GLaDOS. Wheatley is a moron who makes mistakes, and GLaDOS intentionally lies to you all the time, so you can't trust either of them.

The amount of decay suggests only a few decades of neglect, since the room you wake up in is still somewhat intact. The fact that the Rattman graffiti hasn't worn away yet also suggests a shorter time span.

#2: Portal 1 takes place shortly after the 7-Hour War

Going by the timeline, Chell is woken up some years after GLaDOS initiates the lockdown of Aperture on May 16th 200- (The time in which the Black Mesa Incident occurs)
    GLaDOS also claims in the song "Still Alive" "When I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you", suggesting that the surface is dangerous. It definitely would be following the 7-Hour War.
    So if we assume that Chell was in stasis for 27 years as proposed by Reason #1, then that leads us to Reason #3

#3: Portal 2 takes place approximately the same time as Half Life 2

Half Life 2 is suggested to take place at least 20 years after the 7-Hour War and the Black Mesa Incident. The timeline sets the date at 202-, giving room for leeway. If Chell has been in stasis for 27 years since Portal 1, that puts her escape in Portal 2 in the ballpark for Half Life 2.

#4: Valve Suggested implementing a deaf or mute character into Episode 3

Looking back at the information we had received regarding Episode 3, it was hinted that Valve was considering adding a deaf character into the story, or at least one who had a disability.

Chell never speaks, and might have brain damage, since you jump to respond to Wheatley. The reason? Emancipation Grills. They are known to corrode Dental Fillings, Tooth Enamel, and Teeth, which would give Chell a speech impediment. According to Portal 2, they can also melt Ear Tubes, which would make her slightly deaf. GLaDOS herself calls Chell a mute at the end of Portal 2.

So, we have a mute, potentially deaf person, alive in roughly the same timeframe as Half Life 2, and Valve had suggested implementing a character with a disability into episode 3.

Insane? What do you think?

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    About the deaf/mute thing: I think it's more likely that the in game references to Chell being mute is more Valve's way of poking fun at people complaining about their characters never talking rather than an actual suggestion that Chell really is mute/deaf.

Just my opinion though.

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I've got my own theory going. Caroline(Glados)and Cave Johnson are Chell's mother and father.
    1. We see in Portal 2 that a potato science fair project was done by Chell, letting us know that Chell had to be a daughter of someone in Aperture Science to be there for 'Take your daughter to work day'
    2. Her potato had growth far exceeding every other potato project and one of the steps listed was "special ingredient from Daddy's work." and we know Cave Johnson loved using strange ingredients in his projects, and as his daughter she could easily have acquired them.
    3. Chell's psychological profile says that she is abnormally stubborn and refuses to ever give up, no matter how daunting the challenge. Cave Johnson was also really stubborn and refused to give up, and he loved challenges. Also in the ending song 'Want you Gone' Glados says that Caroline was a lot like Chell.
    4. The whole turret opera thing, when translated gives you this, my dear beautiful little girl
    5. Glados saves you after reconnecting with her Caroline self, even if Caroline was a kind person saving the person who was only an ally of convenience and killed you before is stretching it unless there was a more emotional reason for it.
    6. And once Glados reconnects with her Caroline self the first thing she does is send you away as fast as she can. Perhaps she wants to get rid of a very big emotional issue that would disrupt her testing.
    7. And in 'Want you Gone' she says
    "Well you have been replaced
    I don't need anyone now
    When I delete you maybe
    I'll stop feeling so bad"
    Why would she feel so bad about sending away someone who killed her and only helped her out of necessity?

Now there is one big issue with this theory. If Chell is in her 20s-30s, if Cave Johnson died sometime around 1976-1980, if Caroline was downloaded into Glados right after Johnson died that would coincide with Glados's first appearance in 1982. Now for Chell to be born by Johnson she would have had to have been 24 at the least by the bring your daughter to work day in 200-. And if Caroline was put into Glados right after Johnson died it would be about the same age. So the dates are the biggest issue with this theory, but with Portal 2 changing the timeline to Portal 1 the dates may not be set in stone and may change.

But regardless of the timeline issue all the above evidence points to a connection between Chell, Glados, and maybe Johnson.

25. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'll buy that. Just one question, did the Bring Your Daughter To Work Day have a date? I've never seen a timeline for Portal so I'm not sure when everything supposed to take place.