main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Portrait of a Queen: Sabe's Story (pre, TPM, after)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Aug 12, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!

And now for more

Chapter 8

?I don?t want you to do anything at all until that ankle heals.?

Sabe glared at Captain Panaka. ?I?m not handicapped!?

?I gave you orders to stay off your feet,? the Captain continued, his tone stern. ?And then I find you running after that Skywalker kid. And, of course, since your ankle wasn?t fully healed it gives out from your reckless behavior!?

Sabe raised her chin indignantly. ?I was running on an errand. I?m not about to be pampered for a scratch when there?s others missing arms and legs!?

The medical droid knocked on her ankle with a tool and Sabe winced. She had soaked her wound in bacta, letting the goo mend her bones, ligaments, and skin. She could walk on it, but Panaka had pampered her, which had gotten on Sabe?s nerves. To prove she was fit as any of the other handmaidens, so Sabe had raced Anakin. The boy had been mulling about and she had wanted to distract him. It had worked. The boy was now worried about her instead of mourning over Qui-Gon?s death and his mother.

?It?s my fault,? Anakin pouted, looking up at Sabe with sorrowful eyes.

?Don?t be silly, Ani,? Sabe smiled reassuringly. ?It was my fault. I?ll just have to beat you double next time.? She winked at him.

The boy nodded, trying to smile. He reached up and itched a scratch on his blonde mop of hair.

The medical droid began wrapping Sabe?s ankle in a gauze and a healing band. The ankle was swollen bruised. It annoyed Sabe to no end that she couldn?t rotate it. Anakin watched with interest, while Panaka glowered at Sabe.

?You really did it this time,? the Captain shook his head. ?You managed to retear your ligaments and tendons. Not to mention cracking the bone while you?re at at.?

?It?ll heal,? replied Sabe, unconcerned. So she would limp a little for a few days. She had been shot yesterday, but had been up and running just two hours ago.

The medical droid finished and Sabe got ready to hop off the medical bed. Panaka pushed her back down. ?You aren?t going anywhere.?

?I?m not saying in sickbay any longer than I have to,? Sabe said, glaring angrily at Panaka. ?I?m not sick!?

?You?ll have crutches then,? said Panaka. He summoned a medic, then turned back to Sabe. His tone and face bruke no arguement. ?You will not do anything without your crutches. I would prefer you did nothing at all, but I see you won?t listen.?

?Fine,? Sabe agreed. ?Now can I go??

The Captain nodded. Sabe took the crutches, glaring at the things in disgust. Anakin get out of his chair and followed her out the door. The boy walked silently beside her for a moment. He seemed to be contemplating over something with intense concentration. Sabe let him ponder while she figured how to move quickly with the crutches.

?Are you mad at me?? Anakin asked after a moment.

Sabe smiled down at him. ?Ani, what makes you think I?m mad at you??

?You were mad back in sick bay.?

?I was angry at myself,? said Sabe. ?And my stupid injury. I hate being an invalid. I?m not hurt very bad. There?s others with terrible wounds, Ani.? Like you,she thought, but did not say.

?Like Obi-Wan,? the boy whispered to himself.

Sabe heard but said nothing. Yes, like Obi-Wan. They walked and crutched a good portion of the palace halls in silence before Anakin spoke again.

?I think he hates me.?

Sabe stopped and maneuvered herself to face the boy. ?He doesn?t hate you, Ani. Why do you believe so??

The boy looked at her earnestly. ?I just know he does! He doesn?t talk to me, but I can see it in his eyes. If I had stayed in the hangar like Qui-Gon told me to, I could have saved him!?

Sadly, Sabe shook her head. ?That?s not true, Ani. If you hadn?t destroyed the battleship we might all be dead. Obi-Wan lost his Master. He doesn?t blame you. He blames himself. Do understand me??

?I guess so,? Anakin shrugged. ?But he didn?t like me before, either.?

Sabe started her swinging pace again. ?Don?t worry too much, Ani. Give him time.?

2. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Man I hate when people fuss over you for something minor! I'm sick so I can fully sympathize with Sabe` right now.

Come on, Don't leave me in suspense! post more!

3. Jedi Master Jenn

Jedi Master Jenn Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2000
    UP, UP and way we go

4. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm sorry you're sick!

I was sick just last weekend and that wasn't very fun. I seem to only get sick on the weekends anymore. My Branson trip was fun, but Saturday I had to return to the hotel with two of my best buds because we were all feeling sick. Oh, one was coughing up blood so we had a little scare. And the weekend before that I think it was when I was sick.

I got a little let's say 'emotional' on Ultra Stressed. I just would like to tell you all that I've never worked so hard on a story before and am just so happy you are enjoying it! I'm at a block on Chap 10 and need to finish typing chap 9. I know how I want it to end, but I'm at a slight stump at the moment on the part I'm at now.

But never fear! You will have another portion on Cahp 8 tomorrow! Just because you are all so great!

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Amidolee, this is just so great! I'm gonna save the last part. It was just so Beautiful. if I wanna cry, I'll read that.

6. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    Good story.

[This message has been edited by NamelessAlien (edited 04-07-2000).]

7. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm thinking that if someone wants me to e-mail them the story when it's all finished, I can. Or you can just paste it onto a word document that way.

Man, I really was weird last night :eek:

8. JediFinrod

JediFinrod Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2000
    Poor Sabé! Thanks for posting more so soon!

I agree with you about the Ultra stressed thread, Amidolee. It's getting pretty tragic over there. All those stressed out students need to take a break with a nice, relaxing game of truth-or-dare!

9. Queenie

Queenie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2000
    Excellent story! I just found it today, and I couldn't stop reading! Great job, Amidolee!

10. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Okay, here's some more!!

?Aaagh!?

Sache rushed into the chamber to see Sabe tossing a crutch across the room. ?This is worthless! I hate this!? Then Sabe began cursing in several Naboo dialects. She plopped onto the couch and tossed her other crutch at the wall.

?Feel better now?? Sache teased her friend.

?Yes, actually,? Sabe replied, a slight smile on her flushed face. ?Hearing those cursed things hit the wall gives me some satisfaction.?

Sache laughed as she sat herself down beside her friend. She smiled softly at her. ?That?s not what?s troubling you, dear Sabe.?

?Since when are you insightful?? Sabe muttered grumpily. ?So, I?m a little frustrated. So what? Everyone?s on edge! Why should I be the unemotional one?? Her voice rose a notch. ?No, not ?cool-headed Sabe?! Dear gods if she have any reaction to anything!?

?That would be unacceptable,? Sache agreed wholeheartedly. ?Your emotional capacity is less than a droid?s. In fact, are you a droid??

?I?m not in the mood, Sache,? Sabe said moodily.

?I?m sorry,? Sache apologized. She gave a soft laugh. ?No one appreciated sarcasm in the dention camps.?

Sabe reached over and squeezed her friend?s hand. ?That must have been awful.?

?It was,? agreed Sache. Her face brightened a bit. ?But I got to see Father and Mother! Reine was in the same camp as me, too.?

Dear Sache, Sabe thought, always seeing the light side of things. She sighed, recalling two people who were in darker dilemas presently.

?How is Obi-Wan??

Sabe swallowed hard and turned to her friend. ?He won?t eat, he doesn?t talk to anyone, and I don?t think he?s slept at all.? She sighed. ?I know it was only yesterday, but damn! He?s trying to bear it all by himself! Oh, Sache, if you had seen his eyes. . .? she trailed off with a shudder.

The chamber door opened and Amidala entered, looking very tired but not upset. She smiled at Sache and shot Sabe a sympathetic look. She wore a dark green gown and her ceremonial paint. ?Anakin told me what you did earlier,? she grinned.

?He better not forget it,? grumbled Sabe. She looked hopefully at the Queen. ?Has Obi-Wan come out of his chambers??

Amidala?s face grew sad. ?I?m sorry, Sabe. No one has heard any word from him. Maybe tomorrow. He needs time to heal.?

?I know,? Sabe amended. ?Why does he bear it alone??

?Would you be any different?? Amidala pointed out wisely.

?No,? Sabe reluctantly agreed. She glared at her ankle. ?But I would gladly let someone take this wound. A Neimiodian, for example.?

Sache laughed and Amidala shook her head. The Queen headed for her chambers. ?Get some sleep, you two. Tomorrow is a new day.?

11. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    Gotta love this!

I can't wait for more!

12. jedi sarah

jedi sarah Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    Hi! This is my first post (yay!), but i'll confess i've been lurking here for a while. Great job Amidolee! I can't wait to see your next post!

13. jedi sarah

jedi sarah Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    oops double post

[This message has been edited by jedi sarah (edited 04-07-2000).]

14. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I particularly like this post!

Sleep is such a wonderful thing. Why can?t I do it anymore?

Sabe rolled over for the upteeth time that night. Or was it morning? It was possible. She had been tossing and turning for hours, unable to rest her mind. Last night she had fallen into an exhausted, drugged sleep. Tonight, the images of the battle and the Jedi flashed before her closed eyes. It wasn?t just the memories, either. She felt an unrest tugging on her mind that she couldn?t place. As if it was someone else keeping her awake.

Sitting up in her bed, Sabe peered into the darkness. The pre-dawn sky sent a glow over the sleeping forms of the other handmaidens. Her heart swelled in remembrance of the reunion after the Battle of Theed. Sache and Yane had been smothered with love and hugs. Sabe had been overjoyed to see her friend, but the mirth had been shadowed by the pain in her heart for Obi-Wan.

She couldn?t sit still any longer. Quietly, she swung her feet over the edge of the bed and reached for her crutches. She grabbed only one and stood up. The night air was hot and still. The rain season would be upon them soon. She decided to leave her robe, no one else would be up and walking around so early in the morning and she wasn?t worried about getting caught in only her nightgown. A window was open and there was no breeze. Sabe crutched quietly into the outer chamber, then out into the dark hall.

The guard on duty was alerted to her presence and stepped forward. ?Young handmaiden, I must insist you return to your chambers,? he said, obviously still nervous over the battle.

?I?ll be fine, Llen,? Sabe replied, manuevering around the guard. ?I?ll just beat any attacker with my crutch.? With that said, she hobbled on, ignoring another protest. Llen could not leave his post to chase her.

She hobbled around the palace until she came to a skywalk crossing over a garden. She paused to rest and gazed down upon the lavish garden. The sky was a pale gray, glowing with the pre-dawn light. It sent ghostly shadows over everything, causing Sabe to shiver. She rested herself against the wall and wrapped her arms around her bare shoulders. It was suddenly chilly and she could smell rain. Sabe was about to head back for her robe when she caught movement below.

Icy fingers played up her neck and she narrowed her eyes. If it was an intruder, she would have to follow and alrm the guards. As stealthly as she could, Sabe descended into the garden from a set of stone stairs. She silently cursed her handicap. As her eyes adjusted to the shadows, she caught a glimpse of the intruder. It moved through the paths silently and cloaked. The misty morning played Sabe?s imagination to it?s fullest. She could have sworn she had just seen a ghost!

Sabe followed pursuit, ignoring the cold dew on her bare feet and destroying her silk nightgown. A thrill raced up her spine as she lost sight of the cloaked figure. She didn?t feel useless anymore. There was a flicker in the corner of her mind and she caught sight of the ?ghost? again. Sabe started forward, but her crutch slipped on the wet ground. She fell with a startled cry. Now I?m in for it, she thought in frustration. The intruder was probably fleeing into the vegetation. What a wonderful spy she was. Opening her eyes, she saw a pair of brown boots striding towards her. A trickle of fear rose in her. She was dead.

?Sabe??

Now she truly wished she was dead. Sabe rolled onto her back, grimacing at what she saw. Or rather who. The boyish face of Obi-Wan Kenobi peered down at her. The slightest hint of a grin was masked by concern. Humilation filled her, but she remained what little dignity she had left. ?Yes??

?What are you doing?? Obi-Wan asked, incredulous. ?Are you alright?? He looked down at her, squanting down and giving her a close inspection. He reached out and wiped bits of grass and mud from her face. ?What are you doing out here??

Sabe?s cheeks were flaming and she gave him a feeble smile. ?I was stalki

15. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
    Oh, to be Sabe!

This story just gets better and better!

I also like how you have Sabe as older than Amidala.

16. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Just thought I would boost this up if someone didn't see the update

17. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    My favourite handmaiden, and my favourite Jedi....

18. Jedi Master Jenn

Mar 10, 2000
    I finally got and immediately watched my copy of TMP last night!!

There was this slight problem, the entire time I was watching I was thinking about your story...

Therefore I believe we need a new post to tide us over...(please?)

19. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I wasn't going to post until tomorrow night, but since you asked so nicely. . .

Chapter 9

When Sabe awoke, the chamber was empty. She stretched luxuriously on the couch, slowly letting her mind awake to the world. She gazed about the room and noticed the brown Jedi robe neatly folded on a chair. There was a note on it. Sitting up, Sabe reached over and picked it up.

We took the liberty of washing and drying this for you!
    You?re off duty today! Have fun!
    ~ Sache

Sabe smiled and set the robe on the couch arm. Her stomach growled. She hadn?t eaten since the night before. Her first instinct was to search in Rabe?s locker for some munchies, but decided against it. Even if she was officially off-duty, it didn?t mean she couldn?t do anything. Sabe stood up slowly, testing her ankle. It was a dull ache, but nothing she couldn?t handle. She limped into her bedchambers.

Searching through her drawers, she found a pair of loose black trousers. A faded green tunic with a black sash was buried at the very bottom. She hadn?t worn these casual clothes in weeks, maybe months. She quickly dressed and searched for some stockings. That accomplished, she limped to the shared closet, searching for her boots. Then she realized the travel boots wouldn?t fit over her ankle brace. She would have to settle for the sandals.

Now for my hair, Sabe thought with silent dread. She looked horrible. One look in the mirror confirmed her suspicion. The long, dark brown hair was a tangle of nests. Sighing, she took a comb and began raking through it. About fifteen miutes later, she satisfied herself with a low ponytail.

Her stomach growled again, seeming more insistent than before. Sabe limped back to the sitting room and picked up Obi-Wan?s robe. She considered whether to bring her crutch or not, but quickly chased away the notion. Hefting the heavy cloak, she left the chamber and limped off towards the guest chambers on the other side of the palace. Hardly anyone took notice of her in her casual clothing. The palace seemed to be bustling with more workers than usual. They all seemed hurried and frantic.

Sabe stopped one bustling woman. ?What?s going on??

?You mean you don?t know?? the woman was incredulous. ?Why, the Jedi are coming for the funeral!? The woman hurried on by.

Sabe hurried as fast as she could to Obi-Wan?s chamber, dodging the occasional runner or bustler. She buzzed the door. No answer. She tried again. Again, no answer. ?I know you?re in there,? she muttered under her breath. The flicker in her mind was telling her so. ?Obi-Wan, it?s me,? she called. Then she felt incredibly stupid. ?Sabe.?

There was a click and the door hissed open. Sabe stepped into the chamber. Obi-Wan was standing at the window, gazing out at the light drizzle. Sabe stopped and stood silently.

?Qui-Gon?s funeral is tomorrow,? Obi-Wan said softly. He didn?t so lost. . . so far away. She rememebered the reason she was there.

?I brought your cloak back.?

Obi-Wan turned from the window and looked her up and down. ?You look different. I thought I told you to stay off your feet.?

?Oh, please,? Sabe couldn?t contain an eye-roll. ?I told you before that I?m fine.? Her stomach gave a loud growl.

?Hungry?? Obi-Wan motioned to a tray of assorted foods. It was untouched. ?Please. Eat.?

?You?re not?? Sabe asked with concern.

?I?m not hungry.?

?I won?t eat unless you do,? Sabe said firmly, if not stubbornly. She crossed her arms and gave him a stern look. ?I know you haven?t eaten since Qui-Gon died.?

Obi-Wan turned away and gripped the window sill so hard that his knuckles turned white. ?Please don?t talk about that.?

?Why not? You?ll have to accept it,? Sabe replied. She felt compassion for him, but also knew it was dangerous for him. He couldn?t appear in such a wreck before the Jedi Council. His face was unshaven and his whole appearance was unkept. ?He?s gone. It?s not your fault. I don?t know what happened, but I do know that mourning is nothing to be ashame

20. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
    Thanks for the update Amidolee!

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Amidolee, GREAT! I wish i was Sabe'!!!

22. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm not posting tonight because I posted 2 last night. Sorry! But I think I got past the block now! I started another fic last night. I just sat down to the computer and just started typing. It's at 19 pages. I'll start posting it soon!

23. MaraJSkywalker

MaraJSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2000
    I love this story! I'm so glad that I found it! Keep up the great work!

24. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Today's my b-day!! I got to go on an airplane ride today, it was so cool! I've always wanted to go in the air and haven't until today. Me and my bro were talking through the headsets, saying stuff from SW, like "Lock s-foils into attack position" and such. It was a blast. I even got to fly it!

Oh, and he also announced it over the school intercom, so in phys. sci. class everyone sang to me redface.gif

She rested on a soft cloud of fluff. When had she fallen asleep? Stretching her limbs, Sabe rolled over and replaced her head on the pillow. It wasn?t hers. Her pillow was a bit bigger and made of plush fabric. This pillow was covered with a silken sheet. Slowly opening her eyes, she realized she wasn?t in her room either. Slightly alarmed and panicky, she sat up and looked around the chamber. There was a soft snore. Sabe turned her head and saw Obi-Wan slouched in an uncomfortable chair, sleeping soundly. She smiled softly for a moment.

But why was he in the chair and she in the bed? When had she fallen asleep? Why hadn?t he woken her up? Her last memory was staring out the window at the rain. It wasn?t raining now. The sun was hanging low in the afternoon sky. Had she slept the whole day away?

Sabe threw the light blanket off and swung her legs over the edge. She dangled her stockinged feet for a moment, wondering what to do. She studied Obi-Wan in his sleep. He seemed tense, as if in a dream. Sabe bit her lip. Should she wake him up so he could have the bed, or should she let him sleep? ?Obi-Wan?? Sabe spoke softly.

?No.?

No? Sabe frowned. Obi-Wan was dreaming. She sat quietly, watching him with concern.

?No,? the sleeping Jedi moaned again. ?NO!? His head snapped back and rolled to the side before hanging forward again. ?Master . . .?

Sabe tensed and stood up, wincing a bit at her stiff ankle. As she walked over to the Jedi, she noted that it could almost bear all her weight. She didn?t disturb him. Obi-Wan flinched back from some adversary in his dream. Sabe saw Qui-Gon?s lightsaber on Obi-Wan?s belt. What if Obi-Wan ignited it in his sleep? The Jedi?s hand was resting beside it, fingers twitching whenever he cried out or reacted in his dream. Sabe reached out hestiantly to the weapon. Her heart thumped as Obi-Wan shifted. Relax! she ordered herself. Her fingertips brushed the metal and she lifted it off the hook-

Obi-Wan snapped awake. In one lightning move, he snatched up the lightsaber and grabbed Sabe?s arm, twisting it so she couldn?t move. The green blade hissed to life and was held inches from Sabe.

A shriek escaped from Sabe as the Jedi caught her. Her heart was racing and her knees began to shake. ?I?m sorry, I?m sorry!? she sobbed, feeling the lightsaber?s heat.

?. . . Sabe?? the accented voice was choked and the grip released her arm.

Sabe stumbled forward. She turned to see Obi-Wan shaking his head, as if clearing out the memory of the nightmare. The lightsaber deactivated and Obi-Wan gulped. His eyes stared at the spot where the humming blade had once been, then turned his frightened blue eyes on her. ?Oh, Sabe. I didn?t know it was you.? His voice was still hoarse.

Sabe was breathing hard from her fright. She didn?t respond for a moment. Obi-Wan stepped forward and gathered her in his arms. Sabe trembled slightly, but didn?t pull away. She wasn?t sure if she was still frightened from her having him attack her or from being in his arms. Obi-Wan kissed her forhead, as if begging for forgiveness. ?I?m so sorry, Sabe. You scared me.?

?I scared you?? Sabe managed, staring at him in disbelief.

Obi-Wan frowned deeply, his eyes clouding for a moment. Sabe felt him tense and she glanced around to make sure the lightsaber was out of reach. ?I was dreaming about the battle,? Obi-Wan said darkly. ?That?s why I wouldn?t sleep before, because I knew I would relive it over and over.? His hold on her tightened slightly. ?Damn! If only I hadn?t fallen behind!?

?Could you have prevented it? The falling behind??

?I

25. Jedi Master Jenn

Mar 10, 2000
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It sounds like you got a pretty awesome birthday present.
    Thanks for another great post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.