main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possibility: Clone War finale the same scale as TPM Space Battle

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vaderbait, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Here's a scary thought:

The climactic battle of the Clone Wars...many people expect a massive assault and such, but wars don't always end right after huge massive assault. Usually it's a gradual attrition, right?

So what if we're setting ourselves up for a fall? There's so much story to go around in III, it seems unnecessary to have a half hour epic battle at the beginning (which is where it's likely to go). I can picture a sort of assault on Dooku's battered fleet and perhaps his spacestation/hideout?

Many people were disappointed with the small-scale TPM space battle...but we could be up for the same thing in III.

So, is your heart set on an epic battle? Will III be ruined for you if it is small in scale?

2. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I think the small scale is what's going to save EpIII. True, he have galactic politics and wars - but it's the relationships between the characters that will make the story. Anakin and Padmé, Obi-Wan and Anakin etc.

As for the Clone War, I think it'll end with a minor space battle heavily weighed in the Republics favour. The Seperatists won't stand a chance. We need to see that the Republic navy is near invincible, it'll really set up what the Alliance is against in ANH.

Plus, the battle can't be more impressive than RotJ, otherwise when the films are viewed in order the final film may seem a disappointment.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    First of all, I enjoyed the space battle in TPM.

But I would have to say GL and ILM will give us something huge in Episode III. In TPM we only saw a few minutes of a space battle. If eight or ten minutes are devoted to a space battle, that's ALOT of time, and won't interfere with the time thing with the rest of the movie :D

ST

4. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I shouldn've have said people were disappointed in TPMs battle, enter the bashers and gushers. :p

Anyways, I guess I should've left it at "the small scale of the battle in TPM". :p

5. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think we will have a large land or space battle in Ep. III. Maybe even a combination of both. I'm sure Lucas has a large battle planned out.

6. bitterted

bitterted Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    Hmm, you know one thing that bothered me about episode one was the lack of power the space scenes in episode 1 had. The jedi battle was great, but the ground battle and the space battle didnt do much for me.. ie plenty of onscreen action but not enough actually going on, i mean leia gets shot in the three-way battle of rotj. in rotj we get not one but two great 'splosions and the first one, the shield generator, does something to advance the plot. in ep1 the three way battle just doesnt have the power or attitude of ep6.

that being said, i wouldn't mind a space battle/ground battle two-way fight as long as they are woven together better than in ep1. the gungans don't really accomplish anything in their battle with the trade droids.... i know i know it's a diversion, thanks queen padme but it was an awful one that wasn't even necessary. by the time naboo scrambled their fighters, fate decided to blow up the mothership so the ground battle would've ended. i wouldv'e been happier had the gungans on the ground just got gradually slaughtered instead of trying to make the goofy species with a hocking mayor seem suddenly honorable on the battle field.

i like the linear nature of episode 2 and i, like esb, i hope lucas sticks with it for ep3, battle or not.

7. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I didn't find the species goofy, just Jar Jar and Boss Nass.

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'll put it this way: if the Battle of Endor is still my favourite space battle after seeing Episode 3, I'm going to be very disappointed...

9. WishboneKenobi

WishboneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    The structure of episode III will be very similar to that of Episode V. The big action will be in the beging and the rest of the movie will be more character oriented. The final battle will be great because the Empire will kick the federations ass once and for all. There'll be star destroyers and tie fighters blowing up droid control ships left and right. Come on, be optimistic.

10. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I think it will be cool

Anakin will look like a GOD

11. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I too hope that the opening Space Battle of Episode III is not as large scale as ROTJ or even ANH for that matter (the intensity) it should just showing the ending of the seperatists movement and some hot-shot flying by Anakin...thats all we need! Then on to the EMOTIONAL DRAMA (HeHe)
    :D

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

12. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    The difference between the TPM battle and the Clone War finale we will most likely see in EP3, is that the Clone War battle is on much larger scale. Many more troops etc.

And the battle will be reminiscent of the Hoth battle and the space battle in ROTJ combined (well I hope anyway).

I don't think Lucas will dissappoint in that aspect, with the opening 20 to 30 minutes beig about the ending of the war, then as Wishbone Kenobi said the rest is character orientated.

I'd be more disappointed if Lucas didn't give us something grand to finish off the clone wars.

13. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm not worried...whatever the battle is I'm sure it'll kick butt. I'm also dying to see Anakin fly a fighter. Even if the thing lasts 15 minutes, which I doubt it even will, we've still got 1 hour 45 minutes of (as Icebreaker put it) 'emotional drama'.

Can't wait. :D

14. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    He's already topped the OT in ground battles, I hope Lucas doesn't try to top ROTJ's space battle. I mean, shouldn't the closing chapter have the huge BANG! ending? I mean, ROTJ's space battle is 6 movies and several characters/families fates culminating in one final battle of good versus evil.

15. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    In terms of parallels, Ep3 should have the largest space battle of the trilogy:

Big space battle: TPM, ANH
    Big land battle & asteroid chase: AOTC, ESB
    Massive final space battle: ROTJ, ???

ROTJ should probably be the battle to end all battles, but that's still no excuse to leave the Battle of Naboo as the best space scene in the entire PT. ;)

16. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I hope we see a space battle, too, just not anywhere near the scale of ROTJ. :)

17. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I wouldn't mind a battle that scale.
    Along as the Naboo fighters and the droid fighters don't make an appearance.

18. gingerjames

gingerjames Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    well since this is the last film i doubt hes going to keep it low key. we havnt had an actual `star war' yet. the closest has been in jedi but i think it shall be bigger

19. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    In terms of the SW universe, the Clone Wars were actually larger than the Galactic Civil War (OT). I think we're going to see that scale in Episode 3. It's just a matter of who will be fighting who...will we see the Republic fighting the Separatists, or the burgeoning Empire fighting the Jedi? That'd be cool...prototype TIE Fighters chasing around dozens of Jedi starfighters... [face_drool]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.