Spok, WA Possible 501st Outpost in Spokane!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey everyone, I was told that I could get a 501st outpost placed up here if I can get close to 10 costumed "bad guys". I can help people put armor together if they need any. I was wondering if anyone had or was thinking about joining the ranks of the 501st.

Thanks!
  2. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I am totally interested, but I don't live up there yet :p
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Sean, you've turned traitor? :(
  4. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    We've talked about joining the 501st, but we just haven't gotten around to getting all the costumes done. I have fabric for 4-5 offer uniforms and we have an Emperor. I have heard that someone in town has a Darth Vader costume, but he hasn't shown up to a meeting yet. Nathan knows him I think...
  5. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have a friend up here you is trying to get mando armor also...it sounds like we have a good chance.
  6. Dark_Jedi_Nasman Jedi Master

star 1
    The guy with the Darth Vader costume is a co-worker of mine. I've been trying to get him to some meetings but some of his free time schedules have collided with our meetings. So it has been hard. I will see if he can make it to the R2 shoot on Tuesday. Hopefully he should be able to where his costume then...

And all I need is a hat and I will have am "Imperial Officer Uniform."
    I also have an unfinished Mandalorian armor set.
  7. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have the application for an outpost! There are a few things that we need to consider if everyone is still interested in doing this.

Excerpt from 501st Legion Charter regarding Outposts:
    "For areas that lie outside 501st Legion control and do not have enough members to form a Garrison, an Outpost may be formed. An Outpost requires only one member and is headed by an Outpost Leader (OL), who is elected every February by the members of the Outpost. Applicants must complete an Outpost Application Form in which they list their new Outpost name, roster of members from the main 501st roster, territorial boundaries, and Outpost logo. Application for an Outpost must be submitted to the Legion Council and voted on by at least one-third of the Legion Council members in a simple-majority vote. If approved by the Legion Council vote, the Outpost immediately becomes official. Once an Outpost contains twenty-five members it may apply to be a recognized Garrison as outlined above and may waive the one-year trial period at the discretion of the Legion Council. Member affiliation with this unit is mandatory based upon geographical boundaries and the member's primary residence."

Legion Command requires complete information on the proposal of a new Outpost in the club. This is to ensure the new Outposts have all the resources in place prior to going active as an independent Outpost. Kindly fill out all the information as completely as possible. Please understand submissions must undergo review and a possible probation period set by Legion Command.

We need:

Proposed Name of new Outpost:

Proposed geographic region of Outpost:

URL of preview of Outpost website:

URL of preview of proposed Outpost logo:

Mission Statement of new Outpost:

Roster of Members:

I could propbably fill this all out myself but I believe that this really should be an entire group project.
    Well...there you go guys, what do you think?

Ranger
  8. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have the application for an outpost! There are a few things that we need to consider if everyone is still interested in doing this.

Excerpt from 501st Legion Charter regarding Outposts:
    "For areas that lie outside 501st Legion control and do not have enough members to form a Garrison, an Outpost may be formed. An Outpost requires only one member and is headed by an Outpost Leader (OL), who is elected every February by the members of the Outpost. Applicants must complete an Outpost Application Form in which they list their new Outpost name, roster of members from the main 501st roster, territorial boundaries, and Outpost logo. Application for an Outpost must be submitted to the Legion Council and voted on by at least one-third of the Legion Council members in a simple-majority vote. If approved by the Legion Council vote, the Outpost immediately becomes official. Once an Outpost contains twenty-five members it may apply to be a recognized Garrison as outlined above and may waive the one-year trial period at the discretion of the Legion Council. Member affiliation with this unit is mandatory based upon geographical boundaries and the member's primary residence."

Legion Command requires complete information on the proposal of a new Outpost in the club. This is to ensure the new Outposts have all the resources in place prior to going active as an independent Outpost. Kindly fill out all the information as completely as possible. Please understand submissions must undergo review and a possible probation period set by Legion Command.

We need:

Proposed Name of new Outpost:

Proposed geographic region of Outpost:

URL of preview of Outpost website:

URL of preview of proposed Outpost logo:

Mission Statement of new Outpost:

Roster of Members:

I could propbably fill this all out myself but I believe that this really should be an entire group project.
    Well...there you go guys, what do you think?

Ranger
  9. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll think on it for a bit. We definitely should have a group consensus on this
  10. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree. This is meant to be something fun for everyone
  11. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still all for this (just been a bit pre-occupied lately). We should probably discuss it at the next meeting, or if everyone wants to, before that.

By the way, what's the official # requirements for Garrison status?
  12. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    25 members qualify for a garrison.
  13. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    As I was thinking about, getting an outpost should not be too hard. We have wanted to make an Admiral Thrawn costume, I know Kelli has material for a couple of officers, plus the Emperor.
    Anyone else have a "bad guy" costume, to quote the 501st website, to include?
  14. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have about 2 or 3 friends who would be interested in imperial officer costumes? Any idea how much that would cost?
  15. mightyd4 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm in all the way...

Except I don't think my emperor costume is up to 501st standards yet (the perfectionist that I am)

I still need the contacts ($80)
    Something for hands ($?)
    Inner Robes ($modified kimono)
    Fuller Robe ($30ish)

So it will be a while.

Nick
  16. TI1800 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, everybody. I'm TI-1800 from the Detroit area's FanForce Chapter, and I'm also the Captain of the Guard of the 501st Legion (the guy who maintains the Legion "map" among other duties). I need to clear up a very big misconception.

Outposts are for regions that aren't already covered by an existing Garrison. For example, our most recent Outpost is Costa Rica. We also have an Outpost in Alaska and Hawaii. AK and HI are the only U.S. states that aren't Garrisons; every other state in the country is covered by a Garrison or two (three in the case of California and New York state).

All of Washington state is covered by Garrison Titan. Any costumers who are interested in joining the 501st would be assigned to Titan, where there's already a network of experienced Legion members able to help you guys out.

I don't say this to quash any dreams of creating your own group within the 501st -- it's so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak! We're always happy to welcome new Imperial costumers into the Legion (or at least, we SHOULD be... some of my other duties as Captain of the Guard is to be the Legion cop, judge, and enforcer, so if anyone's being an outright jerk, you just let me know ;)). So get a hold of the folks in Titan and they should be able to help you guys out, in putting together costume pieces and getting acclimated with the 501st.
  17. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    What if we don't mind re-inventing the wheel? It would be nice to have that option...
  18. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have been a member of the 501st for some time now. I asked around when I realized I would be coming up to Spokane in Washington about 501st involvement...Spokane doesn't have any. I understand we are part of a garrison, but I dont really get the feeling that we are. I am not trying to start anything and I am sorry for any confusion.
  19. TI1800 Jedi Knight

star 1
    There's nothing stopping anyone from doing what you're doing: networking with each other, helping each other with costume assembly and even getting together socially. That's what we do! :)

The formalized units are not only names, but also the notation of the primary point of contact. When we get an event request form from the Legion Web site, we know who to forward it to. If an inquiry for an event in Spokane came in, we know we can forward it to Mike Kavanagh, the CO of Titan, and it'd be his responsibility to find people in Spokane and get you in contact with the inquirer. If a group is forming in the Spokane area, that's awesome, and I can't imagine that Titan members WOULDN'T be pleased to see their numbers grow.

But trooping doesn't require one's "own" unit. If you feel distant and displaced from the center of Titan, the Titan command staff can easily assign a local liaison, who'd be the primary point of contact for inquiries in that area. It doesn't have to be a Legion-recognized title, because so long as the function is being performed, then the members in the area can focus on having fun and trooping.

That's the part that sometimes gets lost in the excitement of creating a new identity -- the trooping, the events, the kids' and adults' reactions, the costuming. Focusing on the TRAPPINGS of trooping shifts energy away from the actual SOUL of trooping.

If you feel distant and sort of left out of things on the Titan forums, make noise! Become active on the forums, because I can't imagine that EVERY topic of conversation is solely on events in the Seattle area. Become known, and show the rest of Titan that the eastern regions of Washington IS growing.

But definitely talk to your Garrison's leadership. They can't know that problems need to be addressed if nobody brings them up. And likewise, too, I and my fellow Legion commanders are available to help as well.

20. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    So I guess the question would be now, and probably should be addressed to Titan as well, is how do we form a squad underneath Titan Garrison? And do we want to form a squad or our own outpost?
  21. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    Greetings all, I'm in The Orange County CA FF right now but my lady and I will likely be moving to Spokane sometime around July. We both are working on Imperial ossifer costumes, have custom Sith ones done and I will be working on Mando armor as finances allow. I for one would be very very interested in joining a squad or finding other ways to make Spokane better known to the powers that be in Titan. Once we get settled we both plan to be as active in such things as possible. Count us in!
  22. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Nothing's saying you can't have your own Squad, I imagine. San Diego has a huge squad, and they're still part of So Cal Garrison. *shrugs*

And Smudge, that's an April Fools jokes, right? :(
  23. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    I sure hope that is not an April Fool's joke! We love getting new members!!!
  24. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm afraid not. Rachel. Sabrina and I are moving up to WA in July. I am very much looking foreward to meeting all the folks in the Spokantina but I will miss my friends in CA terribly.
  25. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    And you will be very much welcome

The question is more of do we want a squad under Titan Garrison, or form our own outpost?
    Personally, I have little issue with being associated with Titan, however I know that being in Spokane we are a bit further removed from events over in the Seattle area. The other consideration in forming a squad is that 10 members of the 501st, more than likely Spokantina members, are needed, meaning that nine of our number need to join the 501st. I see Blue-Squaddron-Leader's point about wanting to form an outpost because he would be the one member we would need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.