main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possible Books About Obi-Wan's First Tatooine Adventures?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LASTJEDICHOSENONE, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

LASTJEDICHOSENONE Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    Haven't heard anything about this, but thought this would be another cool idea to fill in gaps between ROTS and ANH. Whether these adventures would have to do with baby / young Luke or not, Obi-Wan never really ventured out on Tatooine in TPM. Qui-Gon, Padme, Jar Jar and Artoo did, but not Obi-Wan. I'd imagine there'd be a lot of new things / species to get used to! He could have his own run-ins with the Tusken Raiders (obviously, according to some of his lines in ANH, he HAD to have run into them at SOME point), a slew of Cantina aliens, possibly the Sarlaac, and maybe Boba Fett and Jabba the Hutt themselves! That would cool!

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    He's already run into a young Boba (and visited the cantina), in LAST OF THE JEDI #1, a series which sounds a little like your idea (except it's not solely on Tatooine, and Obi-Wan's only in the first two books, after which he returns to look after Luke).

3. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I wouldnt be opposed to the idea.
    I think it could be a charcter developing story, as we see the first month or so after ROTS. What does Obi do? How does he feel? Whats going on in his head? Does he have a run in with Stormtroopes? Can he contact Yoda? Do they talk? This would be a very interesting story. And one that SW books fail to do much too often...character based stories.

4. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I really wouldn't be that interested. I mean, we've already had how many thousands of stories set in Tatooine? Even with Obi-wan, it'd get old fast. Obi-wan builds his hut, Obi-wan scares off a Tusken every few years, Obi-wan gets drunk at the cantina...Yawn.

5. jamesf24

jamesf24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    Although they are "scholastic books", they are very entertaining and the author does an excellent job at filling in these great details.

Last of the Jedi #1 & #2 are already out. Number 3 comes out in December I think.

There is a separate series about Fett. Also by scholastic. You'll have to go to the kids section of bookstores to find them, they are not in the regular star wars section.

James

6. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I wonder.... is it just me....or does it seem that no one wants to read about character driven stories? Tatooine Ghost was very popular and that was character driven, yet it seems as if most people only watn to read about stupid invasions and the same old crap.

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Don't be fooled byt he "bait and switch". Last of the Jedi isn't about Obi-wan, it's about Jude Watson's little pet, Ferus Buell, er Olin. Who's supposed to be "second only to Anakin Skywalker", but he can't access the force very well at all (it says this nonsense repeatedly in the 2nd one, what a joke, just like we're supposed to believe Mara is equal to Luke, though she couldn't lift a rock or use a lightsaber when she met him, because hype says so, it's never shown, we're just supposed to accept such grandiose insinuations). He has to concentrate and be coached by Obi-wan for every little thing, like he didn't spend 16 years in intensive training. I suppose Siri was a lousy master, and Ferus didn't miss her much either. He really is a shallow dude.

That's also a vastly distant second, considering Anakin could easily tap the force with no training at all. Pod race extraordinaire. Droid builder. Blowing up TF ships and saving people at nine. You know Ferus was doing the same thing......:rolleyes:

Oh, then he blames Anakin for making him leave the order.

Besides, let's get real, weak Ferus is not above Obi-wan, Mace Windu, and Yoda, in strength.

8. JacenSolo48

JacenSolo48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    Amen, Tiershon. I might give the series a chance hoping that Vader kills Ferus. I so dislike that sniveling little brat. Everything you said in that last post, except for the Mara stuff (I never got the impression of Mara being hyped to Luke's abilities, just that the proud, witchy, pompous woman, who I nevertheless like, thought that she was), I agree with. God bless. -JacenSolo48

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The only way I would be interested in something like this would be if the book were highly personal and subdued. I?m thinking a first person narrative, where Obi-Wan?s emotional plight of being forced into solitude is explored rather than a bunch of ?desert adventures.?

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    'The Last of the Jedi' series foolows Obi-Wan very closely.

In 'Star Wars: Visionaries' Darth Maul attacks Obi-Wan on Tatooine and is finally, never coming back, killed.

Those are the only ones that I can think of at the moment.

11. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

Aug 25, 2002
    I would also like to see Obi-Wan taking awhile to come to grips with what had happened to Anakin - where he feels he had failed him, and post-remorse for what he had been forced into doing to Anakin. And take in his thoughts about Luke and Leia and his ideas of their future, etc. His communing with Qui-Gon, and other things that will further clarify just why he would later know to sacrifice himself on the Death Star - that knowing look and smile he gives just before he allows Vader to strike him down - if Vader really GOT to strike him down (It almost looks like he had disappeared just a second before he gets slashed by Vader.)His relationship with Owen and Beru during Luke's formative years.

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Divia, I agree with you that character driven stories are shot down the moment anyone suggests them. That's why there's so much of it in fan fic, because the audience that wants that kind of a story isn't being catered to, only the fan boys for the most part. There are a lot of opportunitites for that kind of a story, not just on Tattoine or about Obi-Wan, but they just aren't written though I think they would do good, but they probably would garner a slightly different set of Star Wars fans then the bread and butter ones the publishers are used to. I'm guessing they don't want to take the chance. They should though.

13. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I think the 20 years Obi-Wan spends in the desert should be pretty uneventful.

14. blasted_saber

blasted_saber Jedi Master star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    What would his adventures be? Going to the Toshe Station to pick up some power converters? Hes tryting to keep a low profile, so he obviously wouldnt be doing all that much.

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    For the most part, they are...note that, during his first months and years there, Kenobi's always looking around corners and jumping at shadows; after leaping off the landing ramp of a hitched-ride ship in the desert, he sprints for a nearby cliff face as fast as his beard will carry him.

It's only off Tatooine -- in a supreme twist of irony -- that Obi-Wan ever regains his old confidence and feels relatively in command of his Jedi skills again. The place is spiritually draining.

16. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

Aug 25, 2002
    I would love it if Obi-Wan had at least ONE near run-in with Vader. Note that I said "Near". Perhaps Vader, could, just once, attempt to go to the Lars farm to visit Schmi's grave (because maybe at one point her memory is on his mind a lot for whatewver reason). Along the way, maybe he DOES free all the slaves as he made aprediction he would - by slaying all the masters - including Watto. Vader could get his reevenge for his treatment. Oh, and maybe he could even cross paths with and kill Sebulba - bringing his past as a boy full circle. And it would be Obi-Wan's mission to keep Vader away from the Lars farm WITHOUT being Force-detected by Vader. At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan seems to presume Vader to have died. An event like this could bring him to his realization that he is indeed alive and has become "more machine now than man". After that, all his adventures would be local Tatooine stuff. HOWEVER, he COULD have some kind of run in with Jabba as well at some point.

17. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I'd like to see him have a run-in with Jabba, definatley.

18. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan seems to presume Vader to have died. An event like this could bring him to his realization that he is indeed alive and has become "more machine now than man".

Obi-wan already knows that Anakin is alive and in the suit when Watson´s The Desperate Mission starts, 18 BBY. But I agree, it would be nice if it would be revealed that behind his words are more than a crude attempt to get Luke see his father as inhuman.

19. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, how is Anakin freeing the slaves going to be retconned?

20. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

Aug 25, 2002
    HOw does he find out and where can you get that story?

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    At first, Obi-wan had thought that Anakin had died in the flames of a volcano on Mustafar. It was months later that he´d realized what had happened, that the Emperor had kept him alive, or, at least, the part he wanted to remain - the hate and the power. Obi-wan had seen Darth Vader´s image on a datarecorder he´d found in an alley of Mos Eisley - it contained a HoloNet report - and he had known at once, with a sense of shock so profound it had made him ill, that Lord Darth Vader had once been Anakin Skywalker.

Jude Watson:The Last of the Jedi:The Desperate Mission, page

A Scholastic book for teens. Surprisingly good, but the second in the series, Dark Warning, is horrible.

22. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I don't want Obi-Wan to have adventures between ROTS and ANH.

He shall sit in his desert and contemplete his mistakes and what went wrong with Anakin.

23. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    His adventure doesn´t last long. In the end of the second book, Dark Warning, he goes back to Tatooine. He knows he can´t join the fight against the Empire as his duty is to watch out for Luke. Qui-Gon Jinn starts teaching him then, as he is now ready for his lessons.

24. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I am reading hte first book in LOTJ, and I will say that the first chapter broke my heart-poor Obi!

But I HATE FERUS OLIN! He is SUCH a Percy Weasely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.