main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Possible Directions of our Vancouver FF Chapter.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by MASTER_OBI-DAN, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Dear Greater Vancouver JCers,
    Although it is still fairly early, I would recommend that all of you begin to think about what kind of directions you want our Vancouver FF Chapter to follow. Since we are at such a primordial stage in forming our Vancouver FF Chapter, now is the time to speak up and be heard. ;) Only you, the individual, will determine what our FF Chapter will be like and what we shall do.

1) Possible Directions of our Vancouver FF Chapter.

A) A FanFiction Division: Personally, I wouldn?t mind establishing a FanFiction Division. From what I know so far, we have two exceptionally talented FanFiction writers in our midst. I myself, wouldn?t mind putting my four years of post-secondary education/English Minor to good use by offering these writers (and any others) my non-judgemental, proof-reading/editing talents. ;)

B) A Collecting Division: Also, some of you appear to be avid SW collectors; thus, a Collecting Division and related activities are not outside the realm of possibility. :D

C) Other Divisions: The options are literally limitless (a FanFilming Division, etc.). So please, take this opportunity to post, communicate and collaborate with other like-minded Greater Vancouver JCers on this thread or via PM. :D

Yours truly,
    Dan

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Perhaps we could diversify ourselves. Perhaps we could focus more on collecting/books, since that's what most of us focus on.

3. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    that sounds good. we need divisions.

4. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    I only have a handful of games and action figures, but books are where I really went overboard. My parents had to buy me another bookshelf for Star Wars books. I swear I have every one.

I love to read.

5. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    My parents had to buy me another bookshelf for Star Wars books. I swear I have every one. I love to read.

Very cool, A_J. ;)

Here?s a rather pitiable list of the SW fiction that I own, have read or want to read badly. Please, if you would be so kind, let me know if there?s any other good books that I have missed on this list or some that I should avoid on the list. ;)

A) What books that I own and have read so far: (I read these years ago, from Grades 7-9).

1) The OT:
    -A New Hope by George Lucas.
    -The Empire Strikes Back by Donald Glut.
    -Return of the Jedi by James Kahn.

2) The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers.

3) The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn:

-Heir to the Empire
    -Dark Force Rising
    -The Last Command

4) The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson:

-Jedi Search
    -Dark Apprentice

B) What books that I own but haven?t read yet:

5) The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley.

6) The Adventures of Lando Calrissian by L. Neil Smith.

C) What books I?m absolutely dying to read:

7) Champions of the Force by Kevin J. Anderson (last of the JA Trilogy).

8) The New Jedi Order:

-Vector Prime by R.A Salvatore (the death of Chewie and the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong)

9) Dark Empire by Tom Veitch & Cam Kennedy (the paperback edition).

10) The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks.

11) Attack of the Clones by R. A. Salvatore.

:D

6. JediMaster_Skywalker

JediMaster_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2002
    if we do split divisions,.. i would like to help with collecting,.. does music fit anywhere?

7. Azeria_Jade

Feb 3, 2001
    If you want some suggestions, here are my favorites...

The Hand of Thrawn Duology: By Timothy Zahn
    1 - Spector of the Past
    2- Vision of the Future

(A lot of people don't seem to like these books, 'cause of the way Mara acts in them.)

The Courtship of Princess Leia: By Dave Wolverton

(This was my very first Star Wars book! :D)

Han Solo Trilogy: The Paradise Snare: I can't remember who wrote it...

(I don't know why I like this one, but this book made Han more interesting for me.)

New Jedi Order: Traitor: By M.W. Strover (sp?)

(Much disscussion going on over this book.)

Those are my favorites... Of course, everyone has different opinions.

P.S. Have you read Union? It's the comic where Luke and Mara get married, was anyone else as dissapointed as I was? I thought the end was really lame.

~ Jaya

8. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I'm no fan of the NJO trilogy but I have must of the series up to Rebel Dream, save for the Dark Tide duology, which in my opinion were a bit of a bore, as with most of them.

Actually I have all of the EU books up to RD save for the side ones like the X-Wing series or the Han Solo trilogy etc.

My fav of them all would be Vision of the Future, because I'm a romance nut, Truce at Bakura because I love the characterization and Shadows of the Empire because I love Vader. :D

9. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    The books I own:

OT colled in one PB volume.
    Truce At Bakura
    Courtship Of Princess Leia
    Thrawn Trilogy
    Jedi Acadamy Trilogy
    Darksaber
    Planet Of Twilght
    Before The Storm
    Shield Of Lies
    All the YJK series except The Lost Ones
    The first four X-Wing books and Isard's Revenge.

10. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, A_J and j_a. I'll be sure to add the books that you both suggested to my list of SW fiction to must-read. ;)

11. DAKAI_SERAKI

May 7, 2002
    could i be the head of the collecting division?

12. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    (OT - back on the books topic), I actually really enjoy the X-Wing Series. It doesn't mess around much with the movie characters so no one can get upset about that. It introduces some amazing new characters and the plot is very engrossing. On that note, I Jedi (based on a character in the Rogue Squadron Series) is very good as well (but read RSS first).

13. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    Thanks so much for the book recommendations, Lelila. :D

Also, welcome to the Tipoca City Board. Please feel free to stop by anytime. ;)

14. vaderdude_3

vaderdude_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    i wouldn't mind starting the gaming division.

15. Azeria_Jade

Feb 3, 2001
    How about a books (expanded universe) divistion?

16. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Oh! Oh!

I want a Left Socks Named Fred Division!!

Its Canon!! Han Solo wore a left sock named Fred, so there.

OK, maybe not. :p

17. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    JediMaster_Skywalker: ?if we do split divisions,.. i would like to help with collecting??

DAKAI_SERAKI: ?could i be the head of the collecting division??

Both are definite possibilities. :D But let?s see some increased discussion and some more threads related to SW Collecting on our board first, as it is such absolutely vast Fan Activity. Are you two (Brian and Dave) more into collecting SW action-figures, memorabilia, comics, props, models, and/or art (etc.)? :confused:

[b]vaderdude_3[/b]: ?[i]i wouldn't mind starting the gaming division.[/i]?

Sure. [face_grin] What kind of games are you thinking of, [b]Sean[/b]? RPGs? PC games? Something else? [face_confused]
    [hr]
    [b]Azeria_Jade[/b]: ?[i]How about a books (expanded universe) divistion?[/i]?

This too is a definite possibility, as I believe the vast majority of us have read at least a few [b]EU[/b] works. Please feel free to start up some threads on [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10352]our board[/link], [b]Rachel[/b]. [face_wink]

18. DAKAI_SERAKI

May 7, 2002
    lol, I'm gonna start a collecting topic right now!

19. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Well I happen to love drawing and I'd love for there to be something like that. Maybe I'll make a weekly comic strip about us... if you guys give me the permission of course.

20. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    I?m extremely happy to announce that today, we established our very first ?official? Division in our Tipoca City FF Chapter: a FanFiction Division. :DAlthough this is still open for discussion, I?ve tentatively decided that for a Division in our FF Chapter to be ?official,? it must consist of at least three members. As long as there is active participation from all three members (E.g.: discussion in threads, and possibly Activities centred around the Division too), each ?official? Division will have its own ?Director? as its head. Hence, there's a definite incentive for everyone to get together with others on SW Fan Activities (E.g.: Collecting, Gaming, etc.) that they enjoy and have an interest in. ;)

In terms of our FanFiction Division, it currently consists of Rachel (author), Christine (author/editor) and myself (editor). Some of you may have noticed these two new threads posted by Rachel today: Fanfiction: "The Prophecy of the Force Series" Part One: Shroud of Darkness & Fanfiction: Untitled (SW/OEAI Crossover). I have encouraged her to post these threads on the Vancouver Board. Why? Because I believe that we all can offer both encouragement and constructive criticism. More importantly, it is difficult to get the kind of exposure that our authors need on the FanFiction Stories Board, as there are just way too many authors there. :( Case in point, a story posted there will usually be pushed down to Page #2 (50 threads per Page) within less than an hour. :( Hence, both Rachel, Christine and all other budding FanFiction authors in our FF Chapter have my express permission to post there stories on our Vancouver Board. ;)

21. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    The Collecting Division sounds cool....

I've been an avid Star Wars Collector since, oh, I don't know....maybe around 1986.

Though most of my collection is still in the Philippines waiting to be shipped ( Those things are heavy: around 3 huge boxes worth), I wasn't able to wait and started this obsession for SW Items.

My Collection is roughly composed of:

Almost all the books of the EU and magazines.
    Masks and Helmets
    action figures
    Signed Photos from Conventions
    Stand ups
    posters
    my prized possessions: Master Replicas Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader lightsaber replicas
    Anakin lightsaber (on its way)
    Full Stormtrooper PVC Armour ( should arrive by late March)

This Division could be a gateway for Trades and Collecting Buzz/Tips between members:

If you're looking for a particular item, people in this division can help you look for it....

We had a similar division back in the Philippines...that's how I got most of my SW memorabilia...It helped me a lot!!

22. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    "my prized possessions: Master Replicas Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader lightsaber replicas"

OMG! You own these, Antonio. That's so cool. :cool:

Also, why don't you "cut & paste" that last post, and post it here too. ;)

23. dexters

dexters Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    How about a hanging out division?

I'd love to just get to know more SW fans, especially those who are at SFU.

24. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    ?I'd love to just get to know more SW fans, especially those who are at SFU.?

Welcome back to the Vancouver Board, dexters! :D

You?re more than welcome to join our burgeoning Vancouver FF Chapter ? Tipoca City, just post here (in The Official Member List) expressing your interest and here (Who Are You? (Come & Tell Us A Little About Yourself)), so that both you and the rest of us can get to know each other a little bit better. ;)

Also, that?s so cool that you?re an SFU student, as am I too. ;)

"[i]How about a hanging out division?[/i]"

In two of the last three weeks, we've had [b]Activities[/b], so feel free to join us and hang out with us. [face_wink]

25. dexters

dexters Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Done and done.

Just out of curiosity, what faculty are you in at sfu? year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.