main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possible fundamental changes in JC membership

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    sucks when people twist your words around, eh derth? >:D

anyhoo, it's laughable for you to sit here and tell people that everything is a 'blatant flame' and never a joke or harmless ribbing. apparently you're clairvoyant and thus can sit there and tell us what is an isn't a flame. you clearly have a personal grudge against certain people, and that's all fine and dandy, but when you come in here and say that a certain kind of posting style is inherently inflamatory and harassing then you are insulting more than just the people you are mad at. i wrote the book on the 'die plz' and such type of posting and it's pretty damn insulting when you sit there and try and say that it's 'blatantly flaming'. it is the height of arrogance AND stupidity for anyone to try and say that they know whether a person is joking or not at all times.

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    sucks when people twist your words around, eh derth? >:D

anyhoo, it's laughable for you to sit here and tell people that everything is a 'blatant flame' and never a joke or harmless ribbing. apparently you're clairvoyant and thus can sit there and tell us what is an isn't a flame. you clearly have a personal grudge against certain people, and that's all fine and dandy, but when you come in here and say that a certain kind of posting style is inherently inflamatory and harassing then you are insulting more than just the people you are mad at. i wrote the book on the 'die plz' and such type of posting and it's pretty damn insulting when you sit there and try and say that it's 'blatantly flaming'. it is the height of arrogance AND stupidity for anyone to try and say that they know whether a person is joking or not at all times.

Pias I think what Derth is trying to say is that you may be joking around, but the person on the other end may not see it as that way. They may see it as a flame and not a joke and take it seriously. It maybe words, but sometimes we don't realize that words can hurt others even over the internet.

I have close friends here, and if they're sad I'm sad. If they're happy I'm happy, if they're mad I'm mad.

and to an earlier comment, sometimes mods don't post as much as they should. They do have lives beyond the boards, and they post when they can. But I've also noted they do alot of lurking. But I also heard from some of the mods here as to why they don't post as much and that will die with me the day I leave the boards.

I looked at my watch and I need to go

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We do an awful lot of lurking. I think it's good to see people's opinions, especially in threads like religion, JC membership, and topics of that nature. I learn alot about the pulse of the JC that way. It's sometimes better to be an active listener.

4. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    sucks when people twist your words around, eh derth?

*GASP* Why, I do believe we have a gifted wordsmith in our presence! Why did you NOT inform all of us, we would have bowed down to your infinite wisdom sooner!!!!! 8-}

(Obvious sarcasm...just in case anyone intends to misinterpret the above paragraph).

This verbal sparring is to no avail...I will not humble myself and admit that I am wrong (or even stupid), unless my conscience says to me that I am wrong. I have not committed any grievious errors of misqoting and misunderstanding as of late. Therefore, any future battle of wills should be conducted elsewhere with another opponent. ;)

Pias I think what Derth is trying to say is that you may be joking around, but the person on the other end may not see it as that way

Strangely enough, it sometimes takes someone else to state succinctly what I was trying to say. Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

5. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    It's going to take more than "fundamental changes in the JC membership" to stop people from being jerks, overly sensitive, arrogant, rude, crass or indecent.

Unfortunately, since society is full of the above described behavior/attitudes, I seriously doubt that the JC is going to solve this.
    (I believe society needs the "jerks, overly sensitive, arrogant, rude, crass or indecent" people anyway. They serve a purpose, even if it is to just make some people angry. ;))

This is one topic where I believe someone is having "delusions of grandeur".

6. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    It saddens me when newbies post a thread and they are generally insulted by all. Either those kids have some amazingly thick skins, or they're too ashamed to leave and look wimpy in front of the "oldbies." It's quite depressing.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    your welcome Derth

It saddens me when newbies post a thread and they are generally insulted by all. Either those kids have some amazingly thick skins, or they're too ashamed to leave and look wimpy in front of the "oldbies." It's quite depressing.

Especially the oldbies who trick the newbies into misbehaving towards mods and admins and they end up getting banned for it. Though I have seen some oldbies pretend to be newbies. Its sad really

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.