main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Possible Identities of the Legends Lost Twenty

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Jun 21, 2018.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Now that Legends is closed, I had a theory that the Lost Twenty actually referred to the only Jedi Council members who ever left the Order, not Masters. This way, Anakin can rightfully call himself the 21st in Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader despite not being a Master.

Originally this could not work because early material said that Dooku was never on the Council, despite being the Lost 20th. The Star Wars website during the Clone Wars CGI show, however, said Dooku did join the Council. Thus, the Lost Twenty could theoretically be the 20 Council members who left the Order.

We only know of Phanius (Darth Ruin) and Dooku. Phanius is said to be one of the first, but that could be handwaved as saying the first 12 out of 20 were among the first. From the EU, maybe we could deduce the identities of other Lost Jedi. It'll be a fun game like in the old days when we pieced together puzzles from the expansive EU. Who's with me? :)

We know that there were 12 Lost by 990 BBY. I will take some guesses now.

Phanius (confirmed in Jedi vs Sith Essential Guide to the Force)

Now the rest are guesses:

Syo Bakarn (he left after being being brainwashed into being the First Son by Vitiate)

Satele Shan (seems to have left the Jedi in Knights of the Fallen Empire)

Rajivari (left after the founding of the Order, eventually turned to the Dark Side)

Atris? (debatable since her turn to the Dark Side was so obvious)

Barsen'thor (if we assume the Hero of Tython is the Outlander, then the Barsen'thor disappeared after Vitiate was defeated by the Hero the first time. He may have left the Order).

Tol Braga? (he might have left in shame after turning to the dark side)

Dorjander Kace (left the Jedi to join the Mandalorians)

Sidrona Diath? (left to fight the Mandalorians, but it's not clear if he's a Council member)

Jedi who left to create Pius Dea and/or Order of the Terrible Glare.

Any other ideas?

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember speculation at the time being that the Lost Twenty ought to only refer to Masters who left the Order after the Ruusan Reformations, though obviously Phanius makes that impossible. The list being limited to Council members is a good idea, as it's slightly more plausible than only 20 Masters over the course of 25,000 years leaving the Order. It also helps solve the problem of why Thracia Cho-Leem from Rogue Planet wasn't included in the list.

Darth Caliban and Darth_Duck like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I believe The Lost Twenty was only supposed to include those who did NOT fall to the dark-side... in AOTC, the Jedi had no idea that Dooku had gone dark.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The criteria seems inconsistent even in-universe - the Essential Guide to the Force indicated that, for instance, Master Thracia Cho Leem was not counted despite leaving the Order.
    I think that there might be much more than twenty if we go before Bane - the term may have been only for the post- New Sith Wars. However, there's certainly a strong possibility that the terminology of "Lost Jedi" might have been reused from prior time periods.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    My memory is not 100% certain, but I think Kreia uses the term in KOTOR II.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Aha!

And you ninja'd me on Cho Leem... :p

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thracia was likely an Altisian Jedi in any case, different than the mainstream Order.
    Even though Syo Bakarn was the First Son, he was brainwashed and it wasn't his choice. Thus I think he may very well be considered a Lost since he renounced the Order entirely when in theory he could have come back after being cured of his brainwashing by the Barsen'thor.

Plus, a bunch of these Jedi didn't join the Sith. Maybe becoming a Sith is the only thing preventing a Councilor from making the Lost Twenty, but not joining the Mandalorians, Pius Dea, etc.

Rur of the Terrible Glare might be another candidate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Darth Caliban and kalzeth like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Phanius was the first I thought, and it specifically included anyone who had finished their training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Anyone from kotor comic? Would ulic or exar count?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think they needed to leave for a noble reason. That's what's heavily implied in AOTC, and why the Jedi still honor them.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is the lost twenty still even canon?

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh man I did not even think about that, so Everything You Know About SW is the only source for them being the lost 20. Given it's dubious canonicity that is null. I do think they still are since they have shown that deleted scenes from the prior 2 trilogies are canon in many cases, even when we wish they were not (RIP Hobbie)

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    AGAIN, it's not that Absolutely Everything You Need to Know is of dubious canonicity as a whole. Leland Chee did say that he categorizes info from that book as canon. Now of course, there are a few problematic elements that remain in it here and there, but it's the same with Ultimate Star Wars. The canonicity of the Lost Twenty is safe.

DarthJaceus and vncredleader like this.
  14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Sure, though I am willing to bet that the specifics will be different now. I really hope we get a uniform idea as opposed to all the speculation on what the lost twenty even are

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Even if you personally dismiss Everything You Need to Know... and Ultimate Star Wars, I'd consider the concept of the Lost Twenty canon since it's in the screenplay, the deleted scenes, and hasn't been contradicted by another source.

DarthJaceus, jSarek and vncredleader like this.
  16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah it is AOTC's Delegation of 2000

Jedi Princess likes this.
  17. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I kinda don't think they'll ever canonize which one of the eight PCs is the Outlander. Just seems like it'd piss people off.

18. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    In my headcanon the counting of leaving masters of the Jedi order, later leading to the Lost Twenty, only started after the end of the Old Republic. It was a tradition started after the Sith vanished from the picture and was meant to remind the Jedi to pay attention to what is happening around them, so that a danger like the Sith will never arise again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Phanius is one of the Lost Twenty though. Unless you mean the end of the Old Republic MMO?

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thor died as Jedi and was buried as one, at least.

My list...

1. Xendor
    2. Rur
    3. Kreia
    4. Phanius
    12. The Twelfth left by 990 BBY
    18. Volfe Karrko
    19. Kaan
    20. Dooku

Nothing else really jumping out of me in my research.

Revan was a Knight etc.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Barsen'thor being buried as a Jedi must have come from the same RPG that canonized him as a male I think?

I'm not sure Kaan would fit as he so obviously became a Sith at the time of his leaving? The same reason I'm having second thoughts about writing Atris in my initial post. Dooku's and Phanius' Sith allegiance wasn't revealed until much later.

These lists are fun. I wonder who among us would be up to the insane task of going through all Clone Wars material and the tv shows, and counting the 9 or 10 times that Anakin saved Obi-Wan referred to in ROTS. :p

DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    What about Lucien Draay. Was a master and I think he left the order at the end

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Wasn't he believed killed though? Also he was convicted of killing kids. I don't think someone who did outright crimes will count.

Joining the Mandalorians or Pius Dea wouldn't technically be a crime.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What about Ahsoka? Would she be considered in the list even though her leaving was after AOTC? (If Anakin/Vader said he was 21, would she be 22?)

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The Lost Twenty was supposedly reserved for Masters who left. I'm offering a retcon that it's actually reserved for Councilors who left (to allow Anakin/Vader to legitimately say he was 21), and to easily eliminate Masters like say, Djinn Altis and Thracia Cho Leem, who all arguably left the mainstream Order due to their Altisian Jedi ways (although Thracia was never said to be Altisian, she must have been since she married).

And in the end of Rogue Planet, Thracia stopped being a Jedi, Altisian or otherwise. If she was somehow still a mainstream Jedi, she wasn't counted as a Lost Twenty despite being a Master since Dooku was said to be the most recent. And if she was an Altisian Jedi, it seems their Masters leaving don't count at all. Or at the least Djinn Altis running off to found the Altisian Jedi should have counted him among the Lost if Altisian Jedi are no longer considered true Jedi.

Either way, it's a mess and my retcon of only Councilors being counted among the Lost fixes a lot I think. I believe this could have been the original intention too, except circa 2002 Dooku was stated never to be on the Council and they changed this in 2008 circa TCW to say Dooku did later join the Council.