main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Possible Lightsaber Duel Movie Locations?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by YodaSmeagol, Sep 10, 2007.

1. YodaSmeagol

YodaSmeagol Jedi Master star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Hello, everyone. I'm an 18 year old college student (at UVSC) and I'm looking to make a lightsaber duel. I've got a camera, props, cast, and small crew, but I'm looking for a location. I want to have a location that is either free or pretty cheap. I would film at the courtyard at the UVSC campus, but it would cost me a couple hundred bucks. I'm willing to pay a little, but I don't think I can afford to pay serious money. I also want somewhere that's easy to use. Somewhere I'm not trespassing or out of reason. Maybe somewhere cool in a national park or something. Or, an indoors location could work, as long as it's open enough and a cool building (think about it, of all of the major duels in the Star Wars movies, only two of them took place outdoors, out in the open). But above all, I want the location to be unique. I don't want a forest, trees, or plains with brush. I've lived in Utah all my life and know that we have a landscape that is as varied and unique as the likes of New Zealand. I just want a cool/easy/cheap place to film. Oh, and it doesn't have to look "Star Wars-y". It's not set in the Star Wars galaxy. Do you know of any places the might work?

P.S. I just moved to Orem, and I think that if the right activity came up, I might be able to come to some. I'll keep an eye here.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I think it would depend on what kind of setting you want--cosmopolitan, suburban, nature-based... There are parks like Nunns Park or Rock Canyon or Kiwanis, etc. But if you're looking for something less Endor and more Coruscant, you'd probably have to rely on asking people for permission to use an area.

3. YodaSmeagol

Mar 22, 2005
    I think somewhere nature-based will probably be easier. I know some places where I could film at, I'm just not sure. Personally, i think it would be awesome to film it at Goblin Valley, or even one of the nearby slot canyons. I'm just not sure about filming in parks and such. I just think that inside would be harder to find somewhere good. It's hard to get a look at cool, industrial buidings or factories, much less try to film something there.

4. _JediKnight_

_JediKnight_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2002
    Goblin Valley would be a cool location. I know someone that filmed some stuff there before. But you have to remember filming in parks (meaning national parks) could be somewhat difficult because they usually require permits and stuff. And for those permits you would have to go through the Utah Film Commission, and it could get kind of pricey. People are allowed to take cameras to film "home videos" and stuff camping, but anything for a movie like involving actors and crew etc. are the types of things they require permits for. But there are some cool locations nearby. I know of a good one that is a forest location, but has stone structures that are cool.

5. YodaSmeagol

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, when I said I have "cast and crew", I meant pretty much my friends. :p We've done lots of filming and acting before, so I consider us as a crew.
    The only thing I might be worried about is if I filmed at Goblin Valley, what if a ranger saw us and thought our weapons were suspicious? Or maybe they wouldn't let us film something as big as a lightsaber duel. Yeah, we're not a big crew with lots of equipment or anything, just a few people, some lightsabers, and a camera. It really is pretty much just a home video. But I don't want to be worried that my production will halt suddenly. It's possible, I just wonder if it is wise.
    Do you have any pictures of this location you speak of?
    Thanks for the responses.

6. _JediKnight_

_JediKnight_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2002
    Yep, thats the type of thing I was talking about. To you it is a home video with friends (i completely understand that is what you were calling crew). But if a ranger were to see it, they would most likely ask to see your permit. So it would depend on if you wanted to take that risk. You may be seen by a ranger or you may not. But if a ranger were to see im sure they would say something, especially like what you said about "weapons." But yes there is the possibility of being about to film in locations like that with no permit.