main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possible *MAJOR* 3NS changes: Your input welcome

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stinrab, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Hey guys

With trolls becoming an almost daily occurance, there has been some discussion in ModSquad as to some more drastic measure to help keep our 3NS community safer from spoilers. The main idea that we have decided upon (with input from you, our 3NS regulars, being a major factor in whether it goes ahead) is as follows:

3NS will be, effectively, split in two. These two forums are:

1. [b]3NS[/b]: This is the forum you are currently browsing in right now. However, the difference under this new scheme will be that it will become a [i]private[/i] board. In other words, you will only be able to gain access to it via approval from the mods (namely [b]Windy[/b] and myself).

2. [b]3NS Registration[/b]: This second forum will be public (that is, everyone can view and post on it). In this forum, people will apply to gain access to 3NS itself. Through this, everyone will be able to see who is applying and we'll be able to deny 3NS membership to anyone who there is legitimate fears about.

This scheme does a number of things:
    * it prevents known spoiler trolls from gaining access
    * trolls are likely to be discouraged if they have to go through the process of registering
    * it limits the ability of trolls to do a 'drive by' and just come in and post spoilers
    * a much safer and more spoiler-free environment is provided (this would be of particular benefit to those 3NSers who are uber-spoiler free)
    [hr]

So, there ya have it. Your opinions on this are most welcome. :)

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I say go for it, but then I'm all for tightfisted jackbooted administration.

In other news, it is revealed that Obi-Wan is Anakin's father. And then they go sledding on YOU KNOW WHICH SLED. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    OMG ANOTHER PRIVATE FORUM FOR ME TO MAKE AN ASS OF MYSELF IN OMG!

On that note, I agree this would be for the best. But for someone to be admitted to the private board, I think there ought to be some sort of a prerequisite, e.g. posting in this/public forum for 30 days (not everyday, tho), or have 50 posts or something like that. I wouldn't want just anybody to waltz in, I kinda like having an intimate atmosphere.

4. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Sounds like a great idea. Plus, not only will it get rid of trolls, but it'll also get rid of some of the users that just post meaningless replys at threads. If they're too lazy to come up with a response, they're probably too lazy to apply to the board. ;)

While having some criteria for membership might be a good idea, there shouldn't be too much. Otherwise it'll start to hinder the mods from using common sense in admitting people. Being an active member for a certain amount of time might be a good idea, but I don't think a post count should be a factor. Otherwise, you just encourage someone to make a bunch of spam posts just to get in.

And how should socks be handled? I know you mods probably don't want to have to admit every sock that wants in, but what about socks that people like me use when we're banned because of JC games?

5. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    While having some criteria for membership might be a good idea, there shouldn't be too much. Otherwise it'll start to hinder the mods from using common sense in admitting people. Being an active member for a certain amount of time might be a good idea, but I don't think a post count should be a factor. Otherwise, you just encourage someone to make a bunch of spam posts just to get in.

Very much agreed. Post count is unlikely to ever be a deciding factor in a user's admittance to 3NS. I'd prefer to look at the history of the user as a whole.

I know you mods probably don't want to have to admit every sock that wants in, but what about socks that people like me use when we're banned because of JC games?

I don't know. I would be very hesitant to allow any socks to enter. There's a simple solution to this: don't play those JC games ;) Or just play those games with your socks rather than your primary username.

6. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I think this sounds like a good idea. :) I don't post here that often, but I come to browse and read discussions a lot, and I live in fear of being spoiled. :p Fortunately I haven't been spoiled yet (by the time I see it, the mods have dealt with it), but the closer we get to Ep. III, probably the more often I'll come, the more often trolls will come, and the worse the spoilers will be. :p

7. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I don't know. I would be very hesitant to allow any socks to enter. There's a simple solution to this: don't play those JC games ;) Or just play those games with your socks rather than your primary username.

That's fine. Even if they don't use their socks to play, I guess people can live without this forum for 24 hours. :p

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The potential problem I see with this is, this forum already has enough trouble getting people to even post, let alone debate or discuss. It's already much slower than the 3SA, Community, Amphitheatre etc, which is a shame. I just worry that this will get even worse if there's a registration process.

Maybe I'm confused about the difference between "public" and "private" forums. If the private forum would be the "real" one, what is in the public forum? If any seperation had to occur, I think that the private forum could be uber spoiler-free while the public forum should allow OS "spoilers"- chats, webcam, databank, photos etc. If that were the case I think a lot more people who've defected from the 3SA or just visiting from there can have a place to discuss things, while keeping the uber-frees completely out of it. There are a large number of people who are TFN spoiler free but not OS spoiler free (intermediate SF I suppose) and it really feels like we have no home. I think that may be a better solution to keeping the butts in the seats- so to speak.

Just my two cents.

9. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    While, I do agree with rebelscum, I think it would be a good idea. For a trial run anyway

-Yoda ;)

10. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    It does seem like a good idea.

11. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    I like the idea, but I think Kung-Fu-Yoda's idea of a 'trial run' is a good way to see first how it works out. If everybody thinks it's effective then go for it. The only question I have is, will the new boards be an exact 'copy' of the old boards, but only registered members can post? Or will the new boards be empty and we'll have to start over again? Or will it be the 'non-registered' board that will be new?

Ok so that was 3 questions :p

RebelScum77 said:
    I think that the private forum could be uber spoiler-free while the public forum should allow OS "spoilers"- chats, webcam, databank, photos etc.

I don't know if it has to go that far...it would be great to restrict those topics to their own threads like we have the "Official Hyperspace discussion thread". Very few of us are uber-spoiler free, I don't think it's right to restrict too much or only about 4 of us would post! :p Keeping OS and Hyperspace things in their own threads would be good.

12. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Its a good idea, but the lack of discussion here (or lack of topics for certain discussion eg, Hyperspace & OS threads), is more my concern.
    I dont post here as often as I'd like, mainly because a) the Hyperspace thread.....doesn't really do much discussion (I feel we ought to create more Hyperspace threads like the OS ones, so we can discuss certain details etc etc) and b) just a lack of understanding about what we can talk about etc.

Anyway I'm not that bothered by the idea of a private 3NSA forum, I like it because now and most certainly in the future spoiler trolls will always make themselves present.
    Count me in....if I get accepted :p

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The main point of this is to stop the trolls, who we all despise.

If the forum is completely open, as it is now, we can all get burned - I've already been burned several times, although I'm sure most of what I saw was rumor or fantasy.

Whether you're moderate or hard-core, by posting in the 3NS, you're agreeing to the forum rules, which means *no* spoilers, unless you're going to the *Official OS ____* threads or the Hyperspace threads.

I think it's a great idea Stinrab, but I too think a trial basis might be best - or let's say a review period after a couple of months.

Is there any way we can force people to read the forum rules before registering? I'm no computer expert. 8-}

And as regards the limiting posting, I agree that it sucks - you can come to this board over a 2-day period and see maybe 3 topics that are active.

But we also don't have much info to go with - just our imaginations...that just might be the nature of this board compared to the 3SA forum.

Also, I'd say the overall quality of posts here is superior to that of the 3SA. ;)

14. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I read more than I post here, but I think it would be a great idea.

If only it could be extended to all the spoiler-free forums...

#sigh#

15. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think it's a great idea. I'm always worried when I check out this board that I'm going to get spoiled by some jerkass Troll. I'd feel a lot better posting here if there was some sort of registration. :)

16. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Will the private forum be like the modsquad and invisible from people who aren't allowed in, or will it be a read-only forum to anyone without privilages?

I think we should definitely do a trial run. We could have it private for 2-3 months, then ask everyone what they're thoughts are on it.

17. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    While I agree it is impotant to eliminate trolls, my only concern is the lack of active topics. When i first registered two months ago, there was constant posting. Now the same topics stay at the top of the list, w/out change. Which defitenely takes away from the fun of being on the jcc.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree Ghost, but isn't part of the problem the lack of information?

If we DO receive info, it has to stay in certain threads, which is for the good of all.

But many of the topics are redundant, and mostly fueled by imagination.

I suppose we could start more threads that allow OS spoiler material in them...

but I think part of the price we pay for being spoiler-free is that speculation and conversation suffers.

But the HUGE payoff comes in being able to watch Episode III knowing as little as possible. :D

19. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Go for it. I was about to drop off for good because of all the spoilers being posted, maybe this will keep me safe.

20. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    For a trial run anyway

Sounds fine to me. Maybe have a review of the policy after three months?

The only question I have is, will the new boards be an exact 'copy' of the old boards, but only registered members can post? Or will the new boards be empty and we'll have to start over again? Or will it be the 'non-registered' board that will be new?

The private board will be this one. Same threads, same everything; just private.

Its a good idea, but the lack of discussion here (or lack of topics for certain discussion eg, Hyperspace & OS threads), is more my concern.

Agreed. I think a system should be devised where hyperspace content can be discussed more fully (as was suggested in the OS index thread). Perhaps we could work that out once we get this policy up and running?

Is there any way we can force people to read the forum rules before registering?

I'll make sure that a copy of the forum rules is posted in the 3NS Registration board. There's not much more I can do, short of going to the house of applying members, tape their eyes open and force them to read the rules at gunpoint. Ah, if only ;)

Will the private forum be like the modsquad and invisible from people who aren't allowed in, or will it be a read-only forum to anyone without privilages?

As far as I know, it will be invisible to everyone without access.

21. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    This idea seems like a good one. Should definitely alleviate a large amount of the troll problem in this forum. The only unintended consequence that I can see is that because there are some people who are determined to troll by posting spoilers where they don't belong, the security around the obvious target (3NS) may cause more spoilers to start appearing in other forums.

As to the issue of the lack of activity in this forum, there is only so much that the mods can do about that. If you want something new to discuss, think of something worth talking about and post it. It has been correctly pointed out that the primary reason for this is that there is no new information to base threads upon, but we knew that would be the case when we decided to go the spoiler free route.

I think a system should be devised where hyperspace content can be discussed more fully (as was suggested in the OS index thread). Perhaps we could work that out once we get this policy up and running?

Perhaps a policy similar to the way the literature forum handles spoilers for recently released books would work? Users are allowed to start threads that discuss material in the book, but must put a tag in the thread title that it contains spoilers. And, of course, the title is not allowed to be very specific about the spoiler.

22. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Agreed. I think a system should be devised where hyperspace content can be discussed more fully (as was suggested in the OS index thread). Perhaps we could work that out once we get this policy up and running?

Well I just wanted to bring it to your attention mate. :)
    Besides I like this policy, and I agree a trial run would be a good idea for it, so that we all can get accustomed to the idea see how things go, then after what...a period of a month? 2 months? We then decide whether to go on with it.
    It would certainly eliminate trolls and give the place some harmony away from evil spoilees (no offence to the Spoiled ones BTW ;) ).

But I'm glad you agree about what I said (and it seems from the OS thread, I'm not the only voice on that issue). But I also agree, leave it until we sort this out first, but as long as you know the other concerns then we can sort them out one at a time.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I wish I could speak as a member of the community, but I never really got around to posting much for fear of getting spoiled (in the months leading up to AOTC). I started my posting two years ago here, but didn't stay.

I think a move to add a private NSA forum will do as much to increase traffic as it might to discourage it. Those who would like to post (or even just read threads) but haven't for fear of being spoiled will be able to come in and discuss stuff.

24. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    I dont know if this has been mentioned since I dont have time to read all of it, but this would seriously help out the people who are part of the Spoiler Free groups i.e. the E.S.S.. I think it would be good for a trial run just to see how it works. Those are my two cents...

25. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I think that this is a great idea. I have been avoiding this forum for a while now because I'm afraid of random trolling. I know I would post a lot more if this was implemented. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.